Fake meat that tastes like the real thing

TBO

The article is interesting.  I'm curious to try it out.

I am puzzled by this statement though:  "....A 4-ounce burger is now about 240 calories -- versus roughly 290 calories in the first version, which is about the same as a beef burger. The new version is also gluten free..."

I don't give a crap about gluten, but I'm curious how a vegetable based product can have as many calories as a meat product.

I would make an uneducated guess that people that choose this product would do so for a reduction in calories as the primary attraction, rather than just to avoid meat.

Also, "...the company was first to use an ingredient called heme, a blood-like compound found in all living things and that can replicate the taste, color and aroma of meat....".  What part does this ingredient play in the calories stated.  It might have an effect on people that want to avoid meat but not replace it with blood products.

I wonder how the price stands up to conventional meat products.  I can't see paying more if I am getting the same calories.  It will be interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

You know what else tastes just like meat? Cow.

if Vegans really have a problem with eating animals, why do they spend so much time and money trying to make plants taste like meat?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Eric said:

if Vegans really have a problem with eating animals, why do they spend so much time and money trying to make plants taste like meat?

Yes.

I don't see food as an attraction that I look forward to, unless I've done without it for too long.  As I said before, I eat to live, I don't live to eat.  So I'm probably a poor  data point for the anticipation of this product.  I couldn't see just buying it for the novelty, I don't like novelty in my food, just convention that meets my expectations and past experience.

AGAIN!  I'm not knocking this product, I just have to see good justification for passing up a greasy burger with oily fries, served with a good  beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There has been meat substitutes and Beer without alcohol  for decades.  The Vegans want a meatless world and "Sky Piolets" condemn alcohol consumption from the pulpit. They berate the Beef rancher for  using acres of land to produce beef. What if all crop land is turned into Soybean production to make this fake meat. Then what will we do. Kill the cows?  Vegans won't allow that. Then who gets the Soy Beans and corn? I expect the cows. 

So while these idiots argue let us have a Burger and a Beer, before the cows and wheat are used up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Eric said:

Ok, I get it that they don't want to eat animals but that presents a problem. If their fake meat should take off and eliminate real meat from the food chain, food animals will either starve or be killed in the wild by other animals - quite often a horrible death. In other words, they would probably face a much worse fate than they now face.  Good thing our ancestors didn't have the option of buying vegi ****at the store rather than killing animals in the food chain for nutrition. Once they began to farm they took good care of their livestock. Those animals would, after all, sustain the people.  I hate to say it, but the animals we eat are going to die one way or another.

• Like 1

I asked a Vegan I worked with years ago of the Vegan's worried as much about killing plants as they do about killing animals.  She surprised me by getting very quiet, then looked me in the eyes and said, yes, they do discuss killing the plants to eat. Darned if ya do - darned if ya don't. That same lady did bring a veggie burger to work for me to try a week or so later.  Have to admit it did taste good, but it wasn't meat.

Edited by Citra47
  • Like 1

The article is interesting.  I'm curious to try it out.
I am puzzled by this statement though:  "....A 4-ounce burger is now about 240 calories -- versus roughly 290 calories in the first version, which is about the same as a beef burger. The new version is also gluten free..."
I don't give a crap about gluten, but I'm curious how a vegetable based product can have as many calories as a meat product.
I would make an uneducated guess that people that choose this product would do so for a reduction in calories as the primary attraction, rather than just to avoid meat.
Also, "...the company was first to use an ingredient called heme, a blood-like compound found in all living things and that can replicate the taste, color and aroma of meat....".  What part does this ingredient play in the calories stated.  It might have an effect on people that want to avoid meat but not replace it with blood products.
I wonder how the price stands up to conventional meat products.  I can't see paying more if I am getting the same calories.  It will be interesting. 
Calories are likely from fat.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 2

The very pale emaciated soul over there glaring through bifocals is a vegetarian. See the big muscular alert keen eyed fellow he is a predator. 

ACTS 10:13  A voice came to him." Peter rise up go forth kill and eat".  The voice did not mention anything  about hoeing the peas. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TBO said:

Calories are likely from fat.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

I agree.  Yet if vegetables are used for the bulk then the majority of the fat must come from the Blood additive.  The Blood additive is the key.  Then this is not Vegan and why not just eat meat.

Fat in vegetables:

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/vegetables/fat

According to this source, a 10 Oz. package of mixed vegetables contains about 1.48 Calories of fat.  The product under discussion says it contains 240 Calories of fat.  That Blood product must be really something if it's the bulk of the fat.  Back to, why not just eat meat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:19 PM, Eric said:

I had an assistantship in grad school on a mapping project and I worked with these two hippie girls (not HippieChick, she's OK). We'd have lunch cookouts where everyone would bring their own meat and we'd grill it on a BBQ in the quad. They'd bring tofu dogs and grill them next to the burgers so they'd absorb the burger taste. ?

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3