Americans to receive tax refunds despite government shutdown

pipedreams

"The Trump administration said on Monday that despite a prolonged partial government shutdown the Internal Revenue Service would still send out tax refunds.

The White House Office of Management and Budget announced the decision in order to make the shutdown as “painless as possible” for citizens, in the event it carries on into tax season."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/americans-to-receive-tax-refunds-despite-government-shutdown

I continue to have very close contact with the ICE and Border Patrol Agents. These  men are mostly young vets and many with families. They are having a tough time working long hours and very little money after 3 weeks.  President Trump says,  they are OK with his proclamation to shut down the government. 

16 minutes ago, Dog Soldier said:

I continue to have very close contact with the ICE and Border Patrol Agents. These  men are mostly young vets and many with families. They are having a tough time working long hours and very little money after 3 weeks.  President Trump says,  they are OK with his proclamation to shut down the government. 

You may of missed the thread about pay checks but apparently no one has missed a check yet.  It will happen if this continues but people are told all the time we don't need you this week. 

11 hours ago, pipedreams said:

You may of missed the thread about pay checks but apparently no one has missed a check yet.  It will happen if this continues but people are told all the time we don't need you this week. 

I want to say the above info is apparently incorrect even though I was depending on what I though was a reliable source.  Anytime anyone has to go without pay, government or private is not good. 

Edited by pipedreams
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:05 PM, Dog Soldier said:

I don't want to argue about this but that information is incorrect. There  are 54,000 Border Patrol and ICE agents working with out pay.

https://ijr.com/vitiello-explains-his-shutdown-frustration-as-ice-agents-remain-unpaid/

And they all did the same thing when obuma was president and had a shutdown. It is part of the job, that is why they get the benefits and retirement that they do because stuff like this is part of the job description.

I know a few guys that are border patrol and they all started saving a long time ago because this is nothing new. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

And they all did the same thing when obuma was president and had a shutdown. It is part of the job, that is why they get the benefits and retirement that they do because stuff like this is part of the job description.

I know a few guys that are border patrol and they all started saving a long time ago because this is nothing new. 

There are many who have had home and car loans canceled. The Blue Flu is taking over at TSA. The protest  are beginning. Many BP and ICE agents are having problems. There are thousands of employee who are paid only  $30.000 PY and contractors shutting down. This is Damn serious if it's your pay check. 

15 hours ago, Dog Soldier said:

There are many who have had home and car loans canceled. The Blue Flu is taking over at TSA. The protest  are beginning. Many BP and ICE agents are having problems. There are thousands of employee who are paid only  $30.000 PY and contractors shutting down. This is Damn serious if it's your pay check. 

I didn't say it wasn't serious. What I said is it is a known issue with the job that they accepted.

This is part of the job, if they get the "blue flu" they need to be fired, end of story.

I know a few people in Detroit that are Border Patrol, this has been a known issue for ever, if they know they make peanuts for a pay check, and have the potential of not getting a check whenever this drama starts, why are they getting a mortgage and car loan that they can not repay? I would call that irresponsible, because as I said it is a known issue, if you want everything to be good all the time then be a plumber or electrician.

Also if people are saying that they are getting a mortgage or car loan cancelled after a 2 week shutdown, you might want to look a little deeper into their story.

and administration are getting a  $10k raise... https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/01/04/while-federal-workers-go-without-pay-senior-trump-administration-officials-are-poised-get-raises/?utm_term=.6baf242163ec

While hundreds of thousands of federal workers go without pay and the government is partially shut down, scores of senior Trump political appointees are poised to receive annual raises of about $10,000 a year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moeman said:

and administration are getting a  $10k raise... https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/01/04/while-federal-workers-go-without-pay-senior-trump-administration-officials-are-poised-get-raises/?utm_term=.6baf242163ec

While hundreds of thousands of federal workers go without pay and the government is partially shut down, scores of senior Trump political appointees are poised to receive annual raises of about $10,000 a year.

Federal agencies directed to hold off raises for top officials during shutdown
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 11:46 PM, MtnBiker said:

Today is Jan. 8.  How many people have actually filed or will actually file over the next couple of weeks?  My previous employers never seemed to get their tax forms in the mail until the absolute deadline; Jan. 31.

I worked for HRBlock as a seasonal tax preparer for a lot of years. People are filing now. It is the people that don't get W-4's ( no jobs )  but they do get child tax credits and other assorted freebies from .gov.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 11:46 PM, MtnBiker said:

Today is Jan. 8.  How many people have actually filed or will actually file over the next couple of weeks?  My previous employers never seemed to get their tax forms in the mail until the absolute deadline; Jan. 31.

My W2 - and the wife's - arrived this week.  Which is odd - usually it's the end of January.

I'll start entering stuff soon but don't have everything yet.

Assuming every family who is in a financial bind is not very intelligent is not correct. Does everyone in Detroit who works at Ford save money for a potential shut, no. There have been 22 shut downs in modern history most except for 1985 were short. Shut downs such as this one is "Weaponized" to force an issue while holding these Federal Agents hostage. Some agree punishing the ICE Agents and Border Patrol is a worthy cause??

Edited by Dog Soldier

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:32 PM, Dog Soldier said:

I know.  That is who I went to the Academy in 98 back when there were more stringent standards and no difference between men and women as far as the requirements.  All the women washed out except one.  Most everyone I worked with was former army or marines.  On occasion a former Air Force SP.  I was "College Boy" and cut my teeth there in a very paramilitary organization.  We had one former SEAL, but he was farmed out to Arizona and is running things out in one of their Sectors last I heard.  I dropped him an e-mail before I retired.  But, yes, by-in-large the people I worked with were veterans.  But, they are no longer part of cool kids, but the bastard red head children, so the Government has lost interest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moshe said:

I know.  That is who I went to the Academy in 98 back when there were more stringent standards and no difference between men and women as far as the requirements.  All the women washed out except one.  Most everyone I worked with was former army or marines.  On occasion a former Air Force SP.  I was "College Boy" and cut my teeth there in a very paramilitary organization.  We had one former SEAL, but he was farmed out to Arizona and is running things out in one of their Sectors last I heard.  I dropped him an e-mail before I retired.  But, yes, by-in-large the people I worked with were veterans.  But, they are no longer part of cool kids, but the bastard red head children, so the Government has lost interest.

Thanks so much. I am passing this post on to the Border and ICE Agents. They need some encouragement. Thanks so much for your understanding. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dog Soldier said:

Thanks so much. I am passing this post on to the Border and ICE Agents. They need some encouragement. Thanks so much for your understanding. 

I have been both.  I have also been through political shutdowns.  I text a guy I used to work with to encourage him, and let him know I have contacted reps on their behalf.  I think that is the best thing to do.  I am retired, so I can't be accused of a Hatch Act violation.  It is nice to say what I want to.  So, he may not be able to respond to my messages for that reason regarding that.  But, I send them anyway.  He is also a top notch armorer and has a license to manufacturer.  He does stellar firearms work.  The last shutdown, I made sure to overpay him.  He looked confused at first.  I told, him, I have been there, take it.  So, if he pops up with one of my pistols soon, I will do the same.  Knowing him, he is keeping afloat by working for his higher end clients building AR's and Long Distance Rifles, SBR's, and suppressors.

Edited by Moshe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1