The Army announced on Veterans Day that it would indeed be adopting a new service uniform in 2019.

pipedreams

"Out of 1,000 comments posted to Army Times' Facebook, the most liked and most replied-to messages were negative.

“After 22 [years] active duty, I am beyond tired of having to re-outfit my military attire,” Charles Barrier, who identifies himself as an aviation maintenance technician, wrote. “A change every 50 years or so, OK, but every few years, that’s getting old.”

In the past decade or so, the Army has fielded two new camouflage patterns for its combat uniform, a new physical training uniform and transitioned away from a green service uniform to the current dark blue design.

“Stop wasting money on uniform changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!! We are still at war and don’t need new uniforms!!!! Stop wasting time and energy creating solutions to problems that don’t exist!!!!!!!!,” said James Fitzgerald, who describes himself as a former Army staff sergeant."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

So, after all the changes, we are back to Pinks & Greens? Good grief. I agree to the stop wasting money on uniform changes comment above. What is this, Paris? 

If they come out with new battledress that gives our soldiers in the field an advantage, great, but wasting millions playing military dress up is just pissing away funds they could be spending to take care of our troops. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Nothing like making you spend another 1000-1500 for a uniform that you'll wear about twice a year.

I've been in 15, coming up on 16 years in a few days.

I've been through, in just my time

BDU's replaced by DCU's Replaced by ACU's, replaced by the new "not multicam" ACU's

Green and Tan one piece flight suits, replaced by ABU's and tan 2 piece flight suits. Replaced by ACU flight suits, replaced by "not multicam" flight suits

Dress Greens, replaced by Dress Blues, replaced by the ASU, now I have to buy new P&G's.

And ofcourse, just like every other time, you'll be basically forced to buy the new uniform between a year and two years from the wear out date of your old uniform, or you'll be called a **** bag for refusing to buy the new uniforms that they're supposed to issue you.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pipedreams said:

"Out of 1,000 comments posted to Army Times' Facebook, the most liked and most replied-to messages were negative.

“After 22 [years] active duty, I am beyond tired of having to re-outfit my military attire,” Charles Barrier, who identifies himself as an aviation maintenance technician, wrote. “A change every 50 years or so, OK, but every few years, that’s getting old.”

In the past decade or so, the Army has fielded two new camouflage patterns for its combat uniform, a new physical training uniform and transitioned away from a green service uniform to the current dark blue design.

“Stop wasting money on uniform changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!! We are still at war and don’t need new uniforms!!!! Stop wasting time and energy creating solutions to problems that don’t exist!!!!!!!!,” said James Fitzgerald, who describes himself as a former Army staff sergeant."

I go to church with a guy who was in the Army and was talking about this.  

This kind of thing creates a real strain on a lot of the troops.  They get an annual stipend to replace worn parts of the uniform but units like to have special insignia, etc - which usually comes out of that.  So that's bad enough.  But getting a whole new uniform is going to cause a real issue unless the Army pays for it.  

Basically the same stuff AK said above.

Uniforms are supposed to convey tradition.  Why keep changing it?  The BDUs I get as materials and designs improve but.....

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

Nothing like making you spend another 1000-1500 for a uniform that you'll wear about twice a year.

I've been in 15, coming up on 16 years in a few days.

I've been through, in just my time

BDU's replaced by DCU's Replaced by ACU's, replaced by the new "not multicam" ACU's

Green and Tan one piece flight suits, replaced by ABU's and tan 2 piece flight suits. Replaced by ACU flight suits, replaced by "not multicam" flight suits

Dress Greens, replaced by Dress Blues, replaced by the ASU, now I have to buy new P&G's.

And ofcourse, just like every other time, you'll be basically forced to buy the new uniform between a year and two years from the wear out date of your old uniform, or you'll be called a **** bag for refusing to buy the new uniforms that they're supposed to issue you.

Makes it sort of hard to figure out what to wear. If I were you I'd put all the old uniforms in storage just in case they come around again like Pinks and Greens have.

18 hours ago, Eric said:

So, after all the changes, we are back to Pinks & Greens? Good grief. I agree to the stop wasting money on uniform changes comment above. What is this, Paris? 

If they come out with new battledress that gives our soldiers in the field an advantage, great, but wasting millions playing military dress up is just pissing away funds they could be spending to take care of our troops. 

Well, it does give most of today’s soldiers the option of getting their great grandfather’s uniform out of mothballs and saving money that way.  

Hawk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1