New Browning BDA to me

Hauptmann6

Was at Cabelas(yeah I know) and found a W. German Sig in .45 with no model markings and none of us knew much about it other than it's a Browning imported Sig in .45 single stack Double/Single action with a de-cocker. I took a flyer and picked it up for a halfway decent price. I couldn't pass it up, felt WAY too good.

After doing some research, it's a Browning BDA from it looks like 1977. Off to the range tomorrow to check it out, but as of now, the trigger feels great.

Now, where to find mags and other accessories?

20190105_221826.jpg

Edited by Hauptmann6
  • Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:14 PM, Hauptmann6 said:

Was at Cabelas(yeah I know) and found a W. German Sig in .45 with no model markings and none of us knew much about it other than it's a Browning imported Sig in .45 single stack Double/Single action with a de-cocker. I took a flyer and picked it up for a halfway decent price. I couldn't pass it up, felt WAY too good.

After doing some research, it's a Browning BDA from it looks like 1977. Off to the range tomorrow to check it out, but as of now, the trigger feels great.

Now, where to find mags and other accessories?

20190105_221826.jpg

I have the early Sig P220 that I bought new and at one time had a matching Browning BDA which I later sold. They are excellent handguns - just not quite as refined as todays models.

This is my Sig P220. Browning BDA is pretty much identical other than markings. You got a great buy.  You can sometimes find original mags in a gun store or EBAY. A friend told me that the American release P220 mag will also fit but I never tried one in my gun. Mine is very accurate and never had a problem with hick-ups. Good shooting.

IMG_3340.jpg

Edited by Citra47

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, Citra47 said:

This is my Sig P220. Browning BDA is pretty much identical other than markings. You got a great buy.  You can sometimes find original mags in a gun store or EBAY. A friend told me that the American release P220 mag will also fit but I never tried one in my gun. Mine is very accurate and never had a problem with hick-ups. Good shooting.

IMG_3340.jpg

Only the 7-rounds P220 American mags will work.  The 8-rounders are too long to work with the heel mag release.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 10:40 PM, Citra47 said:

IMG_3340.jpg

The new 8rd mags with the plastic base plate will not work in the heel release P220’s. 

However any of the older zipper back or dovetail back 7rd mags with the metal floor plate will work in both the heel release and button release Guns. Some of the newer 7rd welded back mags with the plastic follower but still have the metal baseplate will also work. 

P220 mags are plenty available. I prefer the older flush fit mags and have a couple dozen of them. 

Both of these are good to go:313679B4-4130-4C43-8EF4-6AD7C78277B2.jpeg

Note the indentation on the floor plate for the heel release latch:

6A4CFC57-531F-4BB2-B4E3-624EC9F1DB75.jpeg

Not good to go:

9782A13C-9994-4EEE-8973-F97ADA5FFE2E.jpeg

I bought a dozen new in package old stock P220 mags off of eBay several years ago for a song. I would be scouring the bargain/used magazine bins at your local shops, and surfing eBay and Gunbroker for good deals. 

There have been Atleast a dozen revisions to the P220 magazines over the years.  Any of them except the very newest (since 2007 or so) plastic follower, 8rd capacity with extended plastic base plate should work in your gun. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Collim1 said:

The new 8rd mags with the plastic base plate will not work in the heel release P220’s. 

However any of the older zipper back or dovetail back 7rd mags with the metal floor plate will work in both the heel release and button release Guns. Some of the newer 7rd welded back mags with the plastic follower but still have the metal baseplate will also work. 

P220 mags are plenty available. I prefer the older flush fit mags and have a couple dozen of them. 

Both of these are good to go:313679B4-4130-4C43-8EF4-6AD7C78277B2.jpeg

Note the indentation on the floor plate for the heel release latch:

6A4CFC57-531F-4BB2-B4E3-624EC9F1DB75.jpeg

Not good to go:

9782A13C-9994-4EEE-8973-F97ADA5FFE2E.jpeg

I bought a dozen new in package old stock P220 mags off of eBay several years ago for a song. I would be scouring the bargain/used magazine bins at your local shops, and surfing eBay and Gunbroker for good deals. 

There have been Atleast a dozen revisions to the P220 magazines over the years.  Any of them except the very newest (since 2007 or so) plastic follower, 8rd capacity with extended plastic base plate should work in your gun. 

I picked up a couple at a gun shop in South Florida a few years back. The European mag release P220 is a great handgun. Although I don't shoot mine much anymore it's one I have always hung on to and have no intention of selling.

Funny enough I saw that mag on ebay before I looked here. Already had bought it. I have 10-12 mags for it now. Gotta order new mag springs for most of them.

Only had it out to the range twice. Pretty accurate. Will be way more once I'm used to it.

Any idea where to find original rubber grips for it? The wood ones aren't fitting just right.

• 1 year later...

I was getting failure to extracts. I just took apart the slide and breech block. Mother of god I've never seen anything so dirty. No wonder it wasn't working correctly. I'm shocked it would even fire.

New recoil spring and extractor today. I might get ambitious this week and change out the springs in the lower. Sadly the parts kit didn't have the firing pin spring or the retainer spring.