Cabela's, USS Texas, the San Jacinto monument, and lunch at the last Monterrey House

Geko45

Had a pretty epic day with my brother and my two nieces. Visited the battleship USS Texas (BB35) and the San Jacinto Battle Monument today. Also took the opportunity to swing by the Cabela's near there (hadn't been to that location before). Didn't stop at the Johnson Space Center, but we did drive by it and see the new shuttle replica "Independence". Then drove an hour out of our way to have lunch at the last remaining Monterrey House restaurant in Beaumont. My brother and I both remember it from when we were kids and wanted to bring back the nostalgia. All in all, a very good day!

IMG_20190105_113525.jpg

IMG_20190105_114645.jpg

IMG_20190105_114845.jpg

IMG_20190105_131118.jpg

• Like 4

She's a fearsome beauty. Glad you got to spend some quality time with her and your family! 

I drove past her with the intention to pay her a visit a few years ago. Timing was not good, I was beat from 4500 miles on the road. I did manage to stop and visit the Bama.

• Administrators

Less than a year ago, I had almost the exact same day.   Ate at the last Monterey House and stopped by to see the Texas.  That is awesome! 

At the Monterey House, there is a manager that is passionate about the history.   She and I talked for about half an hour.  Mostly about the candies that used to be at the bottom of the chips.  She said that the owners daughter has made a batch or two over the years and it is the most common thing people ask about.   She says that *lots* of people make the trek to eat at the last Monterey house.   I assume that in a universe as small as this website, being that there are two of us, it might be surprising how large that number is. 

They also made most of their food at a central location (I think out by Intercontinental)  and then the locations just heated them up. 

She said that the owners daughter has made a batch or two over the years and it is the most common thing people ask about.

We asked about the candies as well. Apparently, the family has had a rough year between damage from Harvey and a death in the family, but they hope to be making it again by this summer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We Texans get so wrapped around the axle about our BBQ (and rightfully so) that we often forget the history of Tex-Mex cuisine. Texas Monthly had an article in their sesquicentennial edition (1986) about the Old Borunda Cafe in Marfa, and credited it as being the birthplace of Tex-Mex... the # 1 plate was either enchiladas or tamales, with rice and beans. The cafe closed in 1985, but I would have loved to make a pilgrimage there. The Texas Monthly article also referenced some other Tex-Mex joints of lengthy heritage that are still going strong.

My favorite place to get a Tex-Mex # 1 plate is Casa Rodriguez in downtown Bryan. The Rodriguez family traces their Tex-Mex heritage back generations. Discussing Tex-Mex is like discussing BBQ... everyone argues for their favorite.

Perfection at lunch is beef enchiladas, with either a chili sauce or queso topping, with some chopped onions added, and the obligatory rice and beans (I prefer refried over charro). That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 2

The Texas has an active ham radio station and once and a while a club uses the radios.  I think they still gives tours...the North Carolina still does.  Been on her twice. 

The Texas used her 14 inch (not 16) to shell the cliffs before the Rangers took them in Normandy on June 6, 1944.

• Like 1

I am sad to hear there is only one Monterey House left.  I grew up in Houston and loved going there. Ninfa's was also good.

Perhaps Monterey House just grew to too big for the family to manage themselves or the kids (grandkids?) lost interest in running the business.

I wonder if Pancho's Mexican Buffet is still open?

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, racerford said:

I am sad to hear there is only one Monterey House left.  I grew up in Houston and loved going there. Ninfa's was also good.

Perhaps Monterey House just grew to too big for the family to manage themselves or the kids (grandkids?) lost interest in running the business.

Monterey House has been gone a long time.  Probably 30 years, except this one in Beaumont Texas. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Historian said:

The Texas has an active ham radio station and once and a while a club uses the radios.  I think they still gives tours...the North Carolina still does.  Been on her twice. 

The Texas used her 14 inch (not 16) to shell the cliffs before the Rangers took them in Normandy on June 6, 1944.

Yep. Texas arguably saved the D-day landing and changed the topography of France forever. :)

When the Texas  was commissioned, she was the most powerful weapon man had ever made.  The first Dreadnought to have 14 inch guns....and she had 10. 

She beat her sister ship to sea (the New York) And thus for a short time, was a ship with no rival in all the world. 

6 hours ago, racerford said:

I believe that all of the Pancho's in Dallas/Fort Worth have folded. It's kind of sad really. They were far from great, but they were consistent. You knew what you were getting when you raised the flag. (Salmonella not with-standing.) Decent sopapillas though.

3 hours ago, Rabbi said:

Yep. Texas arguably saved the D-day landing and changed the topography of France forever. :)

When the Texas  was commissioned, she was the most powerful weapon man had ever made.  The first Dreadnought to have 14 inch guns....and she had 10. 

She beat her sister ship to sea (the New York) And thus for a short time, was a ship with no rival in all the world. 

Rabbi, I figured you would know something of that history.

I had the honor of standing on that changed landscape on the 60th aniversery of that shelling. The crators are deep and wide.

• Like 1