5 children Dead In Fiery Crash In FL

Eric

• Administrators

"FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Five children heading to Disney World in a church van from Louisiana died along with two truck drivers in a fiery crash on Interstate 75 in north Florida, the Florida Highway Patrol said Friday.

The children were traveling in a large passenger van from Avoyelles Parish, Lt. Patrick Riordan said during a news conference on Friday morning in Alachua, which is south of Gainesville."

https://news.yahoo.com/6-killed-diesel-spill-fire-florida-interstate-230206201.html

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Eric said:

Not to make light of this tragedy, but how many gallons are there in a kilometer anyway?

1546622002_2c96d70b-3969-422d-af6b-1ebf805b5798_mmthumb.jpeg.99dc02a97c478a453e36a7e8651e5f73.jpeg

Not to make lighter light of this tragedy but if I read this correctly....50. At least my abacus has U.S. instead of metric increments. I didn't even have to carry the 1.

That's how I got the answer other than cheating and reading the article.

As far as the accident, how horrible. God bless those little children and their survivors. 

• Thanks 1

Journalists.  They don't even think enough of what they write, to have someone else review the copy and look for obvious errors and stupids.

How can the metric system be any good, when those who say it is their job to tell us what to think, can't even keep volumes and distances straight.  If the self proclaimed "Brightest" of our society can't learn basic units of measure, how can we survive.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Journalists.  They don't even think enough of what they write, to have someone else review the copy and look for obvious errors and stupids.

How can the metric system be any good, when those who say it is their job to tell us what to think, can't even keep volumes and distances straight.  If the self proclaimed "Brightest" of our society can't learn basic units of measure, how can we survive.

Treat everything reported by reporters with healthy skepticism. No doubt this error was due to some kind of style manual rule that says they have to include metric equivalents for all measurements. In any case, it's the editor's fault.

• Like 1

Those 16-passenger "church" vans are probably safe,  when loaded as intended.  16 people.

Now pack them with 16++ obese/morbidly people and then fill every single inch of remaining air space with luggage and backpacks and band instruments...  they get squirrely as hell. 

Many times,  I've seen them blasting down the interstate, packed to the hilt,  and wondered how the driver was even able to keep it on the road,  let alone in an emergency maneuver.

15 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Those 16-passenger "church" vans are probably safe,  when loaded as intended.  16 people.

Now pack them with 16++ obese/morbidly people and then fill every single inch of remaining air space with luggage and backpacks and band instruments...  they get squirrely as hell. 

Many times,  I've seen them blasting down the interstate, packed to the hilt,  and wondered how the driver was even able to keep it on the road,  let alone in an emergency maneuver.

No. They're unsafe at even moderate highway speed. They absolutely should require an endorsement to operate with passengers. 

Every state requires a special motorcycle endorsement to operate a motorcycle. Why? Because they're not cars? They don't behave like cars?

These 13-16 pax vans aren't cars either. And whenever somebody flips one, (which is at least once a month), it's always a multiple fatality tragedy. But any schmuck can go rent one at Avis for a hundred bucks, stuff it with an entire Sunday school class and tear off down some back country road at 65 mph. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1