Any musicians here?

Borg warner

I tried learning trombone when I was a kid but just couldn't get it. My dad played trumpet part time in a big band orchestra throughout the fifties and had been playing since high school and was pretty good.  In the sixties I played a dulcimer and put a barcus berry pickup on it and plugged it into a pignose amp and played it with a violin bow. I occasionally sat in with other musicians but I was never really that good. But I have a great love for music. In recent years I started singing with a community choir as a tenor and then when I got good enough I joined a Black Gospel choir and sang with them for about 5 years. we preformed at the local Opera house and in the city park but mostly in different churches in the Black community.

Playing different instruments and singing has given me a great appreciation for many elements of music. I enjoyed Choir rehearsals and putting all the different parts together until we got it right. and some of our performances were truly great. It was a privilege to be part of that.  Seeing people play and understanding how they make the sounds they make has always  fascinated me. Lately I've been watching videos on YouTube by Rick Beato a multi-instrumentalist and music teacher and I really enjoy many of his presentations. He has a whole series of videos called "What makes this song great".

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

I own a couple bass guitars, haven't touched them in probably 10+ years. Used to play at my house or my best friend's house, before he moved to Alaska. Went and sat at a local park a few times and picked on a park bench, but that was the extent of playing for anyone. We figured at a park, people were free to walk away.

This new year marks 45 years I've made my living as a musician. I play steel guitar (Steel) and harmonica (harp), hence my screen name. There are quite a few YouTube videos of Tammy Wynette/George Jones in the 80's where you can see me. Here is a link to a career highlight with Billy Gibbons, Randy Bachman, Peter Frampton, etc:

Here's one more from a Dukes Of Hazzard show, playing harp. Pretty young, lol

• Like 2

While not a musician, I've played guitar for the better part of thirty years. Strictly a closet player now days, and I find playing (noodling) along with a CD or lp to be a great stress reliever.

Edited by KWalrad

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:13 AM, Steelharp said:

This new year marks 45 years I've made my living as a musician. I play steel guitar (Steel) and harmonica (harp), hence my screen name. There are quite a few YouTube videos of Tammy Wynette/George Jones in the 80's where you can see me. Here is a link to a career highlight with Billy Gibbons, Randy Bachman, Peter Frampton, etc:

I knew a guy back in the sixties who played banjo for Dave Mason and guitar for Rick Danko after The Band broke up. When I knew him back in 1969 and at that time he had long hair until he got a chance to play for Merle Haggard and had to cut his hair. He was told, "You don't wear no curls when you play for Merle" This was before the whole country "outlaw" movement in country music.

A lot of my friends from High school went into the music business. we lived in Los Angeles and that's where a lot of the business was. One guy went to England and worked as a roadie for Black Sabbath. another guy had a stage lighting company. and another guy became a promoter and later started a tour bus company in Nashville. He recently sold the business and retired. Another guy opened a record store right out of high school and was successful at it. We all had a great love for music and some of us are still in touch today

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bish1309 said:

Am I seeing Black Cherry Sparkle Mapex Saturns? Hella good drums. Maple/Walnut if I recall, correctly.

Good eye, sir! Correct on Maple/Walnut. Lovely warm sound. I love them. Played on a set of Slingerlands for about 30 years then got these Saturns. They discontinued the color, and I put in a special order for an 8x10 tom, took about 9 months to get it, but I got it!

4D87975C-8D2E-4576-954F-174CCCFD57EA-M.j

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steelharp said:

That is Hella Cool!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Who?

My friend's name is Mike and he owned and operated Four Seasons Coach Leasing. I think they were located near Lebanon rather than Nashville.  I visited there two years ago. He said that he didn't rent busses to that many country musicians but rented more to rock and rollers and others. Two of his long time clients were Carlos Santana and BB King.

• Like 1