The Chinese have successfully landed a probe on the Moon

tous

I remember when one of the reasons for Moon exploration was so that no one could/would plan to place military bases there and wage war from space.  I simply want to expand science and knowledge by pushing our efforts as hard and as far as reasonably possible.  If you don't push yourself you stop going forward.

Another of the reasons to stop Moon and space exploration was "to keep the money at home".  This was utter stupidity, since all monies spent went into American industry and science.  Every penny went into our economy.  The results of our space exploration are all around us in common use in society every day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I remember when one of the reasons for Moon exploration was so that no one could/would plan to place military bases there and wage war from space.  I simply want to expand science and knowledge by pushing our efforts as hard and as far as reasonably possible.  If you don't push yourself you stop going forward.

Another of the reasons to stop Moon and space exploration was "to keep the money at home".  This was utter stupidity, since all monies spent went into American industry and science.  Every penny went into our economy.  The results of our space exploration are all around us in common use in society every day. 

Well said, amigo.

Well said.

Do we care that a Russian (Yuri Gargarin) was the first human in space?

No.

Like those other early astronauts, he had courage a-plenty and a dedication to getting us out there.

And to those that have lost their lives pushing the final frontier, even though they knew the dangers, I doubt any would have given up their ride.

The Universe doesn't care what sex, race, nationality or god you worship.

Our future is out there, not paying folk to do nothing, not selling a million iPhones, not lost in clouds of narcotics or booze.

Here's to getting us, humans, out there.  :cheers:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

On the dark side. Where no one can prove it.

Right. ?

Glad I'm not the only one to put some thought into it!

Who knows, they may have just secretly crashed it on the dark side, then pronounce any claim they wish to make!

Funny story. It was 1983, I had arrived in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia for a job. I was doing a few days of orientation before heading out to the project site. Some Brits were there, and they invited me to go with them to the Red Sea for a day at the beach. So we hoped into a Toyota Corolla and headed out. The ride was more like a road rally, dirt roads with lots of bumps and ditches, more suited for a pickup truck. As were driving along the one Brit pointed out to the mountain range off to my left and said "and there is the place where the Americans faked the lunar landing." It did look like a moon scape, I was almost young and dumb enough to believe it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

How do they stay in communication with it on the far side of the moon? The moon would block radio signals unless you use a satellite relay or something.

That is how you do it.

Ground-based and satellite relays.

Or, really big rabbit ears.

:biggrin:

Edited by tous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

How do they stay in communication with it on the far side of the moon? The moon would block radio signals unless you use a satellite relay or something.

Uhm..................communication? Job of Sum Ting Wong.

39 minutes ago, ARP said:

Funny story. It was 1983, I had arrived in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia for a job. I was doing a few days of orientation before heading out to the project site. Some Brits were there, and they invited me to go with them to the Red Sea for a day at the beach. So we hoped into a Toyota Corolla and headed out. The ride was more like a road rally, dirt roads with lots of bumps and ditches, more suited for a pickup truck. As were driving along the one Brit pointed out to the mountain range off to my left and said "and there is the place where the Americans faked the lunar landing." It did look like a moon scape, I was almost young and dumb enough to believe it.

The moon landings were faked, but were REALLY expensive because they were filmed on location.......

12 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

Uhm..................communication? Job of Sum Ting Wong.

He's the Chinaman they left up there.  For all we know. the Chinese sent someone there and just left their ass up there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moshe said:

I suspect a UN on the moon would be as useful as the UN we currently have, not so well.  Going someplace besides earth does not equal a Utopia. 

Perhaps, but I suggest that the Moon is a good place to station useless bureaucrats.

Plus, they can park wherever they want without messing up traffic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

Finding the really big Rabbits is the problem.

(You knew that was coming, didn't you!)

They already sent the rabbit up there. Launched a different moon probe named Jade Rabbit a while back. Personally, I woulda used titanium, aluminum, new polymers, and gold foil, but whatever, Chinese Space Agency. Jade just seems like a heavy, brittle, poor choice for space probe construction.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

Satellite communication can reach an lunar orbital antenna.

with Apollo the command module reaquired mission control sooner than the lander 

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 3