Handguns for the recoil wimps

kerbie18

I've got a mother-in-law that's seriously sensitive to recoil. She has arthritis in her hands. She complains when she shoots my Glock model 22, 40 caliber, and says it hurts to shoot it. That isn't exactly a high recoil weapon.

Her current carry gun of choice is a friggin 22 revolver, since she can shoot it comfortably. I guess it's better than using harsh language, but I'm interested in exploring other options.

Once you say those magic words...327 Fed Mag

Major difference in recoil between the 2. The H&R was before the time of true magnums. It has less recoil than a .38 special and about the same energey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Do you reload? You could load rounds that have just enough energy to fall out of the barrel, so to speak. Obviously, make sure you won't get into squib and / or no-cycling territory.

There is also a legal accountability issue if loading for others.

The .32H&R Magnum is indeed a great caliber for lower recoil. The Ruger SP101 .327 is the best, current model.

That being said, the FN 5-7 is very lightweight, but large.

A G43 with low velocity rounds is also decent on the hands.

14 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

I've got a mother-in-law that's seriously sensitive to recoil. She has arthritis in her hands. She complains when she shoots my Glock model 22, 40 caliber, and says it hurts to shoot it. That isn't exactly a high recoil weapon.

Her current carry gun of choice is a friggin 22 revolver, since she can shoot it comfortably. I guess it's better than using harsh language, but I'm interested in exploring other options.

I too, have arthritis in my RH wrist and a poorly repaired, dislocated RH thumb(thanks USN docs)..so I am VERY recoil sensitive. I carry a G42 everyday. The '.380' plus it's bigger(heavier) than a lot of the micro .380 out there makes it a pleasure to shoot for me(my favorite, BTW). Way easy to carry also. 

Guns I have shot that I really don't like(actually hurts)?

Ruger LCP(own, for pocket if I can't carry the -42 for some reason)

Ruger LC9S

S&W model 642

Glock 26 and Glock 43

If I go up in size, Glock 19/17 Ok for me to shoot but kinda hard for me to carry.

BUT have her go shoot a G-42..modern .380 ammo, like Lehigh/Underwood Xtreme Defender, is VERY effective, actually on par with some 9mm JHP in tests...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dog Soldier said:

Don't sell the .22 LR out so fast. At close range a .22 Stinger will put a 1,500 lb steer down with one head shot. A .22 Semi-Auto can place many rounds in a soft target very fast. 

I remember watching Swamp People hunting gators and when the had the shooting them with a Ruger 10/22

• Like 1

Yes, they don't want to damage the very valuable Gator Skin. The .22 RF was first adopted as a military round for handguns.  The Rim-fire round Flobert BB dates to 1845 in France. The Rollin-White Patented bored thru cylinder and 7 chambers by S&W was a break through in weapons. S&W began producing the .22 Rimfire black powder in 1857. 

The S&W #1 revolver became a Militia side arm and a failure. The .22 RF stands today as a more powerful round in fine firearms. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, kerbie18 said:

Does Glock still sell comped models? I could buy a full size 9mm Glock that has comped vents. Could that work?

I have a G22C that I immediately installed a non comped barrel in.  A comped gun at night will quickly cause night blindness from the upward flash.  Besides, I could not tell that much difference in recoil. 

For the lady's needs, I would go with the .327 Fed Mag or a 9mm. Both can be had in snub nose revolvers unless the lady is really serious about shooting and learning to use a semi auto. 

As others have said .32 H&R magnum is a good choice for low recoil, as is .38 special. I own four .32s and six .38 specials.  I’ve loaded tens of thousands of rounds of both, probably close to a hundred thousand rounds of .38.  

Either round can be loaded for reliable low recoil.  I think the only important difference you will encounter is the size and weight of the gun each is chambered in. For just a little less energy you can have the same perceived recoil in a lighter gun chambered in .32 H&R magnum.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, Gun Shark said:

Fn five seven. Incredibly accurate, basically no recoil, high round count.

But are we talking home defense or a carry gun? Also the five-seven is a little more difficult to operate than a revolver without a significant amount of range time and ammo is expensive.

5 hours ago, Dog Soldier said:

Yes, they don't want to damage the very valuable Gator Skin. The .22 RF was first adopted as a military round for handguns.  The Rim-fire round Flobert BB dates to 1845 in France. The Rollin-White Patented bored thru cylinder and 7 chambers by S&W was a break through in weapons. S&W began producing the .22 Rimfire black powder in 1857. 

The S&W #1 revolver became a Militia side arm and a failure. The .22 RF stands today as a more powerful round in fine firearms. 

What source are you using for your information on the early .22 cartridge and revolvers. I ask because I have found no source stating that the .22 rimfire was ever adopted as a military round for handguns other than a training tool and for OSI use, although some S&W .22 RF handguns were privately carried during The War of Northern Aggression. I have located a timeline showing the following:  (1) 1855 - Rollin White patented a revolver with chambers bored end-to-end through the cylinder. The design led to the Smith & Wesson cartridge revolver. (2) 1859 - Smith & Wesson produced the first complete rimfire cartridge. (3) Your date on the Flobert BB cap is correct and it was used as a single shot parlor target gun - back in the days when it was OK to sniff lead. The Flobert BB cap carried no powder other than what was in the cap and is not considered a complete rimfire cartridge.

My dates and information came from "A Firearms History Timeline" by Larry Arnold under TALONSITE.  What I remember from reading firearms history articles in the past, the Timeline appears to be correct though I won't swear to it.

Edited by Citra47

1 hour ago, Citra47 said:

What source are you using for your information on the early .22 cartridge and revolvers. I ask because I have found no source stating that the .22 rimfire was ever adopted as a military round for handguns other than a training tool and for OSI use, although some S&W .22 RF handguns were privately carried during The War of Northern Aggression. I have located a timeline showing the following:  (1) 1855 - Rollin White patented a revolver with chambers bored end-to-end through the cylinder. The design led to the Smith & Wesson cartridge revolver. (2) 1859 - Smith & Wesson produced the first complete rimfire cartridge. (3) Your date on the Flobert BB cap is correct and it was used as a single shot parlor target gun - back in the days when it was OK to sniff lead. The Flobert BB cap carried no powder other than what was in the cap and is not considered a complete rimfire cartridge.

My dates and information came from "A Firearms History Timeline" by Larry Arnold under TALONSITE.  What I remember from reading firearms history articles in the past, the Timeline appears to be correct though I won't swear to it.

The Flobert Breeched Bullet "BB" was mentioned simply because it was a fulminated rim fire the first. The History of the S&W # 1, 7 shot revolver is lengthy and interesting. Most side arms handguns were privately owned preceding the Civil War. Many Militia State Troops began arming with the S&W #1 because it was water proof.  The Union Army Officers and enlisted ordered more of the S&W #1 7 shots then S&W could produce. 

If you want the full history join the S&W Collectors Forum. Your research source is historically limited. There was an incident where a Militia was defeated by Indians. They were armed with the S&W #1.  There were not just some #1 .22 shorts used during and after the Civil War there were volumes. 

http://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-galleries/a-prospering-new-republic-1780-to-1860/case-11-firearms-innovations/smith-wesson-no-1-1st-issue-revolver-w-original-gutta-percha-case.aspx

http://smith-wessonforum.com/index.php

25 minutes ago, Dog Soldier said:

The Flobert Breeched Bullet "BB" was mentioned simply because it was a fulminated rim fire the first. The History of the S&W # 1, 7 shot revolver is lengthy and interesting. Most side arms handguns were privately owned preceding the Civil War. Many Militia State Troops began arming with the S&W #1 because it was water proof.  The Union Army Officers and enlisted ordered more of the S&W #1 7 shots then S&W could produce. 

If you want the full history join the S&W Collectors Forum. Your research source is historically limited. There was an incident where a Militia was defeated by Indians. They were armed with the S&W #1.  There were not just some #1 .22 shorts used during and after the Civil War there were volumes. 

http://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-galleries/a-prospering-new-republic-1780-to-1860/case-11-firearms-innovations/smith-wesson-no-1-1st-issue-revolver-w-original-gutta-percha-case.aspx

http://smith-wessonforum.com/index.php

Not trying to argue here. While I understand that individual troops and sometimes whole units purchased specific sidearms and long weapons from their own or unit funds, I have never found a purchase order from either the Union or Confederate army for S & W #1 revolvers. If you have proof of actual army adoption and purchase orders - regardless of which side - please share the information. 

Edited by Citra47