Figure out this Jeep problem...

PNWguy

I talked to my dad yesterday on the phone and he said he gone on a Jeep trip out into the desert down near Yuma last week and had a strange issue crop up.

He bought a used 2008 Jeep 2dr Wrangler Sport.  Hard top.  50k miles, bone stock.

He added a nice CB radio to it so he could talk to the other old people in the Jeep club he's in while in the desert.

He said that every time he keyed the mic on the CB, the windshield wipers would activate.  Serious.

He took it to the dealer and they can't figure out what's wrong.  An independent shop couldn't figure it out.  My uncle looked at it, who used to be a Honda tech and he couldn't figure it out.

So he just puts up with the wipers coming on every time he talks on the CB.  Freakin' Jeeps, man...

I did a quick internet search on the issue and found a bunch of other Jeep people with similar issues.  It's a problem with the CB and RF interference.  Common causes are poorly grounded antennae, coiled up antennae wire, and bad antennae wire connections. 

• Like 1

I had a 1968 Cougar XR7 in high school. It had a foot lever left side near the dimmer switch which you could push and it'd shoot windshield washer fluid and activate the wipers for one sweep.

Well I'd let the fluid run out and could touch the pedal and the wipers would make one pass. I'd have someone in the car, and nonchalontly give a little fist bump on the middle of the dash, like Fonzie hitting the jukebox on Happy Days, while secretly touching the foot lever. Wipers go one sweep. Passenger would say What the Hell?

I'd let them try it and of course it wouldn't work. Then I'd say "No, like this" give it a little tap and boom there go the wipers.

Had guys going nuts over it.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Found it:

creed-pentastar.jpg

I'm afraid that's it.  Chrysler electronics seem to want to compete with Lucas for king of crap. I changed the plugs in the wife's Jeep and one of them was cracked.  Made the gauges bounce all over and all sorts of weird electrical stuff.  Changed out the cracked plug and it was fine.

I'm not an electronics / electrical guy but I'll take a stab at it. Could be the way the CB is wired into the system causes a momentary power dip and corresponding spike when the mic is keyed. This may trigger the wiper relay which is likely in the same fuse box where the CB is powered from. As an experiment he could try a direct connection to the battery. If the problem goes away, then that's probably what it is. And as you mentioned above there may be a grounding issue that's inherent to the Jeep design.  

That defines me.  I am old, and my next vehicle I would want to be a four door hard top Jeep.  I like my Tundra for engine life.  Heck if Toyota hadn't discontinued it's jeep, and made it a four door, I would have gone that direction.  The only reason I didn't get one, is the two doors irritated me as a family of four.  Jeep has gone a strange direction making SUV's.  If I wanted an SUV, again Toyota engine life. 

I worked about 30 miles from home, and when we used the non-magnetic site, I was about 50 miles from home.  I had a decent VHF ham system at home, and ran 300 Watts in the vehicle so I could communicate with my wife on one side of town, and my son on the other side of town. 

I also found that while on the road, If I keyed up the transmitter while next to a new Cadillac I could make their horn honk.  Unfortunately, in traffic I found this an amusing distraction.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 1/3/2019 at 6:44 PM, Glocks4Freedom said:

Every company that has owned the Jeep brand has "died"... Is FIAT next? :D   

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15075157/a-history-of-jeeps-corporate-parents-they-all-die-feature/

friend of mine she bought a fiat when they came out , the abarth edition   ,  what a POS   she is has been trying to get it under the lemon law for awhile.  they are junk . reminds me of the movie  Gung ho  cars .

as far as jeeps go  in my opinion  jeep ended  in 1980 .   ive had no problems from our 2 cj's   ,  rebuilt the motors  change fluids  . new jeeps seem to always be in dealership garage.

One of the reasons I have not installed a ham radio in my 2014 Jeep is the manual bas convoluted instructions on how 2-way radios are supposed to be installed and warnings that one will absolutely have problems if not installed correctly and potentialy still have problems even if installed following their instructions.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:05 PM, ASH said:

friend of mine she bought a fiat when they came out , the abarth edition   ,  what a POS   she is has been trying to get it under the lemon law for awhile.  they are junk . reminds me of the movie  Gung ho  cars .

as far as jeeps go  in my opinion  jeep ended  in 1980 .   ive had no problems from our 2 cj's   ,  rebuilt the motors  change fluids  . new jeeps seem to always be in dealership garage.

I would say they died with the 4.0.  My 2001 TJ is pretty solid aside from that electronics nonsense.  The 85 CJ had some funky junk on the engine but the 95 4.0 that is in it now is doing well.