vehicle advice

Cougar_ml

So here is what is going on.  My parents vehicle just went into the shop for transmission issues, fortunately it made it into the dealership in limp mode as it was close when it happened.

It's a 2006 Ford Freestyle with about 230k miles on it.  Things have been falling apart on it the past few years so I'm trying to convince her it's time to get rid of it and find something newer and more reliable.  

My father has Parkinsons.  He's still mobile, but has a lot of trouble getting into and out of my car.  He's a little on the heavy side as well.  He no longer drives more than very short distances, my mother drives him pretty much everywhere outside out neighborhood.  

I thought I'd ask here as I haven't paid much attention to the vehicle market in the past decade or so for ideas.

Requirements are that it needs to be a mid size/crossover type vehicle in order to make it easier for my father to get in and out of.  Cars are a complete no-go.  They still have a full size truck with crew cab, so don't need anything that large.  

Much prefer to have all wheel drive.

Needs to be able to seat 7 people, as my parents have custody of my 2 nieces, and commonly drive them, their mother, and sometimes myself and my son places, and shopping trips for 3 household worth of groceries is not uncommon.

Used vehicles are fine as well, probably something in the 5 or so year old range would be best, as my parents, though well enough off, don't like to have any monthly payments if they can help it.  When my father reaches the point he can no longer move we'll have to get a service access van anyway, so not expecting to need it forever.

I'm personally not a fan of the smaller ford vehicles, but they seem to do okay these days. I prefer Japanese or Korean vehicles for their track records in reliability.  My family has a very great distaste for Dodge vehicles due to the local dealership playing games, so no dodge vehicles.  

So any suggestions on vehicles I should look at or avoid?

I had a Nissan Pathfinder. I found it to be an excellent vehicle.  SUV styling but it was almost a truck underneath.  Got T boned and totaled it.  Everyone was OK.  Just too much room (7 Occupants with rear seats up) for my wife and I.  I did like it very much.

Wow, room for 7 = bigsize vehicle, suv with third row of seats.

Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4 Runner?, Korean do not offer big size,  Honda? Mazda CX9.

Something else that might hit the sweet spot for you....Ford Flex. I have been sort of intrigued by them, mainly the boxy style with the rounded corners. It is 7 passenger and available awd. Took a quick glance on car max, used mid 20's for a 33k miles vehicle.

Edited by ARP

When I sold Nissan vehicles about ten years ago, I found that elderly people with hip problems LOVED the Nissan Murano because it's seat height and door opening made it extremely easy to get in and out of for elderly people.

I don't think it has the seating capacity, however.

I would look at vehicles with similar seat height.  Maybe a Hyundai Santa Fe?  My sister has that theft recovery 2018 and it seats 7...

Found some helpful info online...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-t-miller/top-rated-new-vehicles-fo_b_5491208.html

While there are a number of websites that rate new vehicles for older drivers, one of the most credible is Edmunds.com, a top-rated online resource for automotive research information.

For 2014, they developed a list of “top 10 vehicles for seniors” based on user-friendly features that help compensate for many of the physical changes - like diminished vision, arthritis, and range of motion loss - that can come with aging.

But before we get to the list, here is a rundown of different features that are available on many new vehicles today and how they can help with various age-related physical problems. So depending on what ails you or your wife, here’s what to look for.

Knee, hip or leg problems: For comfort, a better fit, and easier entry and exit, look for vehicles that have six-way adjustable power seats that move the seat forward and backward, up and down, and the seat-back forward and backward. Also look for low door thresholds and seat heights that don’t require too much bending or climbing to get into. Leather or faux leather seats are also easier to slide in and out of than cloth seats.

Limited upper body range of motion: If you have difficulty looking over your shoulder to back up or merge into traffic, look for vehicles with a large rear window for better visibility, wide-angle mirrors which can minimize blind spots, back-up cameras, active parallel park assistance, and blind-spot warning systems that alert you to objects in the way. Also, for comfort and fit, consider vehicles that have a tilt and telescoping steering wheel, adjustable seatbelts, and heated seats with lumbar support.

Arthritic hands: To help with difficult and painful gripping and turning problems, features that can help include a keyless entry and a push-button ignition, a thicker steering wheel, power mirrors and seats, and larger dashboard controls. And in SUVs and crossovers, an automatic tailgate closer can be a real bonus.

Diminished vision: Look for vehicles with larger instrument panels and dashboard controls with contrasting text that’s easier to see. And those with sensitivity to glare will benefit from extendable sun visors, auto-dimming rearview mirror and glare reducing side mirrors.

Short and/or overweight: Look for six-way adjustable seats, adjustable foot pedals and a tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel.

2014 Best Vehicles
Here is Edmunds list of top 10 vehicles for 2014 listed in alphabetical order. Each offers features designed to support drivers coping with the conditions discussed above. Their picks include both sedans and SUVs, and range from top-of-the-line luxury models to those with more affordable price tags.

Acura RDX SUV, Audi A8 Sedan, Ford Taurus Sedan, Honda Accord Sedan, Hyundai Sonata Sedan, Lexus ES 350 Sedan, Mazda CX-9 SUV, Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan, Toyota Avalon Sedan and Volkswagen Passat.

To read more about the details of these choices visit Edmunds.com Top 10 vehicles for seniors for 2014 list.

• Thanks 1

I think a 2014 Mazda CX-9 might be the answer...

Edmunds' Expert Review

If you're wondering whether the seven-passenger 2014 Mazda CX-9 drives like a proper Mazda, we'll cut to the chase: You bet it does. Three rows and all, the responsive CX-9 feels smaller than it really is when you're driving it on winding roads. There's plenty of power, too, which is something not every Mazda can claim. If athleticism is what you want from a family-sized crossover, the CX-9's hard to beat.

But suppose you don't give a hoot about handling and you're just reading this review because you want the best all-around crossover in this class. Much to Mazda's credit, the CX-9 remains a compelling option. From its roomy three-row seating with standard tri-zone automatic climate control to its available rear entertainment system and massive cargo capacity, the CX-9 checks all the family-friendly boxes. Well, almost all of them: The standard touchscreen is a little small and low-tech relative to the competition. In addition, the CX-9's safety scores, while solid, aren't top-notch.

Edited by PNWguy
  • Like 1

I hadn't gotten to looking at mazda yet, so thanks for that.  The CX-9 or the Santa Fe are both on the short list for what I think would be good for them.  

They like the local dealership that they bought the Freestyle at (and I bought a santa fe on the same day 10 years ago) so that's the first place they want to check.  Only thing they had in stock that fits is the Ford Flex, but they're asking $25k for a 2015 Limited AWD model with 57k miles on it.  Comparing that to a CX-9 or Santa Fe that's only a year or two older and not that many more miles for $5-10k less makes those options more appealing, at least to me.

3 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

I hadn't gotten to looking at mazda yet, so thanks for that.  The CX-9 or the Santa Fe are both on the short list for what I think would be good for them.  

They like the local dealership that they bought the Freestyle at (and I bought a santa fe on the same day 10 years ago) so that's the first place they want to check.  Only thing they had in stock that fits is the Ford Flex, but they're asking $25k for a 2015 Limited AWD model with 57k miles on it.  Comparing that to a CX-9 or Santa Fe that's only a year or two older and not that many more miles for $5-10k less makes those options more appealing, at least to me.

I have no experience with the type of vehicle you're looking for. I'd only suggest that the dealership might try to steer you to a vehicle that they are having trouble selling. How many Ford Flex models have you seen on the road? I'd guess very few. Sounds like you have been given some very sound advice here. I'd tend to follow that advice before that of someone in the business of selling cars.