Cursive writing

Paul53

3 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

Let me dig out my abacus and I'll drive over in my Stanley Steamer and we'll have a nostalgia party under my Tiffany lamp. 

? You will still have a working vehicle in case an EMP ever does go off overhead. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why keep cursive?

You can't produce a product in it anymore, so why spend time teaching what you can't use?

Fill out a form in cursive, it gets rejected.

Try to write a report in cursive, it takes you so long, you fail the assignment.

9 minutes ago, Citra47 said:

? You will still have a working vehicle in case an EMP ever does go off overhead. 

In reality, that would be my bicycle.    But, it doesn't have a giant front wheel.  In fact, both wheels are the same size. 

The fact is, my printing is poor, but legible.  My cursive, on the other hand is unreadable.   My HTML?  Not shabby for a guy in his sixties.

<!DOCTYPE HTML> 

<html> 

<head> 
	<title>jquery each  </title>
	<meta charset="utf-8">
	<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="reset.css"> 

<script src="js/jquery-1.12.3.min.js"></script>

<!--	<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.12.0/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>  -->

</head> 
<body> 
<header  role="banner"><h1> jquery each  </h1></header>
<h2><p style="font: small-caps bold 1.1em/.7em Georgia, serif;">Window size: <span id="size"></span>px.</p>
 </h2>

<section role="main">              
	<a href="https://www.sitepoint.com/jquery-each-function-examples/">Each Examples</a>
	<article class="focal">

</article>

<aside role="complementary" class="sidebar">

<ul id="5demo">
		<li>1</li>
		<li>2</li>
		<li>3</li>
		<li>4</li>
		<li>5</li>
		<li>Click on a list item to turn all of them orange and fade with jquery functions</li>
		</ul>

</aside>

</section> 

<footer role="contentinfo">	</footer> 
	<div id="a5-date">06.02.17</div>
	</body> 
</html> 
<script>
document.getElementById("a5-date").innerHTML = Date();
</script>
<script>
 			$('#5demo').bind('click', function (e) {
  $('li').each(function (index) {
    $(this).css('background-color', 'orange')
          .delay(index * 200)
          .fadeOut(1500);
  });
  e.preventDefault();
});
 </script> 

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul53 said:

Neither. I have a special interest in cursive writing. For 7 years I got thwacked by nuns trying to improve my handwriting. To this day I break out in a cold sweat at the sight of a yard stick. Post Thwack Stress Disorder!

Curiously, meter sticks don't bother me. Wish the country would convert to metric already!

You and me both, brother.  Isn't it amazing how the nuns can really whack you with that yardstick and never leave a mark?  Those who never went to Catholic school cannot relate.

• Like 2

Recently some school have stopped teaching cursive writing. The subject of this has popped up in several places.

Who can't see the liberal conspiracy here to make The Declaration of Independence and The Bill of Rights unreadable ?[emoji46]

I’m pretty sure there are non-cursive versions available for the imbeciles who can’t figure out how to read cursive.

Can you read Hebrew or Aramaic? How do you know what’s in The Bible?

(That’s a bad example. It’s been modified and manipulated a thousand different ways.)

• Like 2

On 1/2/2019 at 8:22 PM, Maccabeus said:

On the one hand, that's a sad state of affairs if it's just a lack of cursive knowledge.

On the other hand, signatures are a whole other world if trying to identify someone. My signature looks nothing like my name in cursive except the first letter of each name. If you know my signature, you'll know I signed in. If not, you won't have a clue who wrote it.

I would agree but this is just your two initials not a full name.  Even when I have to initial something in a 1/4 in box I tend to take a little time to get both letters in and legible..

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

I would agree but this is just your two initials not a full name.  Even when I have to initial something in a 1/4 in box I tend to take a little time to get both letters in and legible..

When I initial something it's a unique symbol somewhat based on the first letter of my last name.  it's unique, not necessarily meaningful.  My signature is quite legible for legal purposes.