Got some sort of funky leg infection going....

SC Tiger

@flags orignorance is an ICU admission and the blurry blissful swift descent to somewhere else...

MRSA infection is a bitch in the hospital setting. The SA part of that is Staph aureus. it happens. It's everywhere. Keep wounds clean and dry, and let the body do what it does. Add antibiotics if that fails.

Edited by tadbart
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tadbart said:

@flags orignorance is an ICU admission and the blurry blissful swift descent to somewhere else...

MRSA infection is a bitch in the hospital setting. The SA part of that is Staph aureus. it happens. It's everywhere. Keep wounds clean and dry, and let the body do what it does. Add antibiotics if that fails.

Oh I know. Was being a smart ass lol.

11 hours ago, tadbart said:

@SC Tiger Incision and Drainage with packing. I+D for short. sorry I didn't see that part earlier. Healing by secondary intention.

Had a pilonidal cyst when I was 25yrs old from working at Maytag inspecting dryers.  Had a bar stool I sat on and for every unit, I stood up, did a 5-second inspection, then sat down and marked a clipboard.  15 seconds later another dryer rolled up and did the same thing again.  Hundreds of times over a 10-hour shift.

The cyst itself wasn't too painful and the incision to relieve it was no worse than a shot thanks to local anesthesia (But I did hear a nurse gasp when the cyst exploded...).  It was the follow-up care that was awful.  The wound had to be unpacked, treated with iodine, then re-packed with iodine soaked gauze.  Every day.  For three weeks.

I laid on my stomach and took Demerol for most of the time.  My ex-wife did the first aid and re-packing.  She was a trooper.

I had it flare up again last week after 25 years of no issues.  Not nearly as bad, though and maybe the size of an almond.  I popped it myself in the shower and couldn't believe the amount of puss and blood that filled my hand.

The first one was the size of a walnut; I can't imagine the mess it caused.

This time it seems to have gone away on it's own.  I can't imagine going through that hell again, and now alone.  No way would I ask my girlfriend to even consider doing that.  I may ask her to hand me the Demerol, but that's it...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PNWguy said:

Had a pilonidal cyst when I was 25yrs old from working at Maytag inspecting dryers.  Had a bar stool I sat on and for every unit, I stood up, did a 5-second inspection, then sat down and marked a clipboard.  15 seconds later another dryer rolled up and did the same thing again.  Hundreds of times over a 10-hour shift.

The cyst itself wasn't too painful and the incision to relieve it was no worse than a shot thanks to local anesthesia (But I did hear a nurse gasp when the cyst exploded...).  It was the follow-up care that was awful.  The wound had to be unpacked, treated with iodine, then re-packed with iodine soaked gauze.  Every day.  For three weeks.

I laid on my stomach and took Demerol for most of the time.  My ex-wife did the first aid and re-packing.  She was a trooper.

I had it flare up again last week after 25 years of no issues.  Not nearly as bad, though and maybe the size of an almond.  I popped it myself in the shower and couldn't believe the amount of puss and blood that filled my hand.

The first one was the size of a walnut; I can't imagine the mess it caused.

This time it seems to have gone away on it's own.  I can't imagine going through that hell again, and now alone.  No way would I ask my girlfriend to even consider doing that.  I may ask her to hand me the Demerol, but that's it...

make sure it is good and gone, amigo. you don't want a nasty infection that close to your spine.

clean and dry, antibiotic salve. cover.

fingers crossed for ya.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

This is why I don't bang hookers. Or bartenders. Or strippers.

we all pay for it one way or another. bartenders should be alright. strippers gotta shower off that glitter and cotton-candy spray before they get in bed anyhow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

The wife had MRSA 12 years ago. Damn near killed her. She’s lucky to be alive.

This is the fourth one of these things I've had.  

First - urgent care and anitbiotics (may have been something different though)

Second - urgent care and antibiotics 

Third - Healed on it's own

Fourth - Holy ****........

That's why this time I pushed for a root cause and treatment plan.

10 hours ago, tadbart said:

I say it again - if you have - or even think you have - MRSA - STAY YOUR ASS OUT OF THE HOSPITAL EXCEPT TO GO FOR TREATMENT.  I don't care WHO is in there you need to visit - STAY THE **** OUT!

That **** is VICIOUS in a hospital setting.  Causes all kinds of hell.

16 hours ago, Bish1309 said:

Sigh, I can't believe no one is asking for pics. Selfies even....anyone.....Bueller? LOL

I wouldn't do that to you guys,

Well - I would - but I'm not gonna.  It's ugly, man.  I'm talking Hillary-Clinton's-face-on-a-baboon's-ass ugly.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Is it true that maggots only eat the dead flesh? And if so how do you train them to do that?

I've heard that, too. How, I haven't a clue, and don't mind NOT knowing! (and that's coming from the dude that wrote a paper on fecal transplants)

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

I've heard that, too. How, I haven't a clue, and don't mind NOT knowing! (and that's coming from the dude that wrote a paper on fecal transplants)

I think maggots only like dead things.  They are part of God's Cleanup crew.  Kinda like vultures, worms, etc.

"Fecal Transplants" - I don't think I want to know about poop donations.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2019 at 10:06 AM, SC Tiger said:

EVERY orifice?  :Wow:

There was an urban legend at Clemson about a girl who swabbed the inside of her cheek looking for skin cells, but actually found sperm cells.......

BTW - what do they call it when they stuff bandaging inside a wound (sterile bandages) to hold it open so that it can drain and heal from the inside out?  I think there's a name for it but I can't remember what it is.

I had a roommate going to school to be a veterinarian and in one of his biology classes the teacher was saying sperm was mostly sugar or something and a girl raised her hand and asked "then why does it taste so salty?"

My wife worked in the ER and they had a bum come in with a similar wound but his treatment was to just keep wrapping it up.  Not removing the first layers mind you just adding more.  She got the pleasure of unwrapping that rancid gift.  Guy lost his leg.

• Thanks 1

My wife works at a major veterinary university here in Iowa, and MRSA is always a thing.  A BIG thing.  And I know we have it here at home, too.  It had to happen.  As hard as she tries, just a few times of not changing her shoes before leaving work, and it's been dragged in here.

The big thing is to wash your hands all the time, keep your skin hydrated with a decent moisturizer to heal up those winter time cracks in your hands, and try to keep your hands away from your face.

And, fer gawd's sake, if you have an inflamed or swelling would, get some medical attention ASAP.  

Went to the doc again today - they pulled out the old stuffing and put in new stuffing.  Said we probably gotta do this one more time on Monday.  After that I can probably just keep it wrapped up.

20 hours ago, windowasher said:

Post a pic of your infection and I'll post a pic of the flesh eating that cost me my foot...

By that, I assume that the colloroy is that if I DON'T post pictures of this thing you won't post pictures of that thing.

Deal.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:40 PM, ARP said:

I had one of those puss spewing boil type things on the sack last year. Honestly I can not remember all that I did, I recall keeping the site clean with peroxide and treating with triple antibiotic cream. Drained and cleaned and drained. Eventually it scabbed over and healed up. Probably a double infected hair follicle.

Duuuuuuuuuuuddddeeeee............ you gotta go to the doc with something like that.  You don't wanna have to go around with your juevos in a Crown Royal bag or something.  

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Haha 1

The doc did suggest something for after my leg heals - bleach baths.  

Once a week or so, he suggests a cupful of bleach (about the same amount you put in a washing machine) in a bathtub of water and soak for a few minutes.  

@willie-pete will probably start filling his tub as soon as he reads this.  :anim_rofl2:

• Like 1