I never knew a steak I grilled could be so good

ARP

Got days off and time to cook some meals. Last night I grilled a steak. It was a filet from the local meat counter, about  7oz. I marinated it for about 6 hours in soy sauce, then grilled at about 450*F on a flat cast iron skillet for about 8 mins to get a good sear and then pink center, then let it rest for about 5 mins while I finished the rest of my fixins, sweet potato and garlic toast and a slice of cinnamon coffee cake for desert. 

The cut of the meat was what made the meal. I have had filets in the past but none were as good as that one. And I have 2 more in the freezer! 

• Like 3

Nice. There's not much better than a properly-done filet.

I'd hold the soy, heat a little olive oil in the pan, salt and pepper the steak, sear it up, then finish it in the oven with a bit of butter, garlic, and thyme.

super basic, and gives you the chance to enjoy that fine cut of meat without overpowering it with the soy.

• Like 3

A cast iron griddle is a great way to cook a steak at home, even better so than the grill depending on the type of steak. 

I sear a top sirloin on a screaming hot cast iron grill pan two minutes on each side, then stick in a hot oven under the broiler until 130-135 in the center. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nitesite said:

Would you be willing to avoid soy sauce marinade for once?

You have misunderstood. Not ALL of my steaks I cook are marinaded. Sometimes I season and cook, maybe webers, maybe cracked pepper and garlic salt, maybe italian dressing. I might grill about 10 steaks a year if that.

edit: just remembered....olive oil and applewood rub, that will be the next filet I do.

Edited by ARP
  • Thanks 1

There's more than one way to cook a steak.  The first step is selecting good meat.  The second step is aging.  Third, is treatment, whether that is salting or marinading.  I only marinade skirt and flank steaks.  Last, is how heat is applied to the meat.

A dry aged prime ribeye cooked at around 1000 degrees over wood or lump is hard to beat.  But, then so is picanha, cooked on a rotisserie, or a porterhouse in a wood oven.  I don't often cook fillets, as I don't generally enjoy them like I might a ribeye, but the best steak I've ever had was a fillet in a little town in South Africa called Franschhoek.  It was amazing.

• Thanks 1

Yeah! Steak is easy, I don’t do the high end steak houses like Ruth Chris and Mortins.... did on the company card since that was what clients wanted. To me, less is more. Maybe a brush of whorchestshire , salt is in there pepper at the end. Bernaaise a maybe, on the side after cooked. I have. Weber summit grill with a dedicated smoker box and start there, apple Hickory mix. 

When I go for an upscale dinnner on my dime, never a steak. French, exotic seafood etc are what I can’t duplicate at home easily.

I like cooking steaks via grilling over gas, charcoal and cast iron and the method I've found that makes them perfect for us is reverse searing.

I let the steaks sit at room temp, covered in olive oil, minced garlic, salt (pink Himalayan is all I have right now) and fresh cracked black pepper. Bring the oven to 275 degrees. Place the steaks on a cooling rack that fits inside a baking pan. The 8 oz filets I get from our meat market take about 31-33 minutes to get to medium rare-ish. Let rest for about 5-10 minutes while I bring a cast iron up on high temp on the stove. Once it's super hot, I toss in a tablespoon of oil to coat the pan the lay the steak on. At about 30 seconds I put in 3 tablespoons of butter and let it melt down. At 1 minute, flip the steak and start spooning the melted butter over the steak. Flip at 1 minute and repeat spooning butter. Flip one more time and spooning butter....flip one or two more times for even more crust. The mandatory rest of no less than 10 minutes!!! 

yguvqJb.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BadAndy said:

I like cooking steaks via grilling over gas, charcoal and cast iron and the method I've found that makes them perfect for us is reverse searing.

I let the steaks sit at room temp, covered in olive oil, minced garlic, salt (pink Himalayan is all I have right now) and fresh cracked black pepper. Bring the oven to 275 degrees. Place the steaks on a cooling rack that fits inside a baking pan. The 8 oz filets I get from our meat market take about 31-33 minutes to get to medium rare-ish. Let rest for about 5-10 minutes while I bring a cast iron up on high temp on the stove. Once it's super hot, I toss in a tablespoon of oil to coat the pan the lay the steak on. At about 30 seconds I put in 3 tablespoons of butter and let it melt down. At 1 minute, flip the steak and start spooning the melted butter over the steak. Flip at 1 minute and repeat spooning butter. Flip one more time and spooning butter....flip one or two more times for even more crust. The mandatory rest of no less than 10 minutes!!! 

yguvqJb.jpg

I'm down for trying the reverse sear, but that's a little more rare than I like mine.  I assume I could just extend the cook time in the oven?

Edited by jame

7 minutes ago, jame said:

I'm down for trying the reverse sear, but that's a little more rare than I like mine.  I assume I could just extend the cook time in the oven?

Yep! The first time I tried I ended up keeping it in around 35-36 minutes and it was much closer to medium and about where my wife prefers it as well. It not a quick method but it works perfectly every single time. The only thing I'm going to try next time is to dry brine the steaks for at least 12 hours prior by covering them with salt like usual but pepper or oil and letting sit in the fridge for the duration. Once pulled to bring up to room temperature before cooking, only adding the olive oil, garlic and cracker pepper.

Al Czervik knows how to cook.

I lived right on the border to France for many years, with countless stays and trips through the country, including a 1 month long tour along the chateaux of the Loire. The French spend close to 60% of their income on food and related items / services. I stayed with French families many times back in the day, and that's where I learned to properly cook.

My favorite steaks are skirt steak, wet aged Prime grade filet and dry aged porterhouse.

My lazy default is an entire Prime filet from Costco. I let them wet age an additional 2 if not 3 weeks, cut them up, vacuum seal the portions, and freeze them. They become incredibly tender through this process.

Unless I'm willing to throw the pan into the oven after searing when using 3 inch high cuts, I usually cut them French style, meaning only about 1" thick.

I used a thick copper pan, let it heat soak, add some Ghee (while we are at it, this is incredible quality: https://www.amazon.com/ANCIENT-ORGANICS-100-Organic-Grass-fed/dp/B00E0WB292/), add pink Himalayan salt right before it hits the pan,  sear it on each side for about 60 to 90 seconds, meanwhile basting it with the Ghee and some rosemary twigs, let it rest halfway covered for 3 minutes (on a hand-warm plate), and then I add some very finely cracked fresh black pepper on all sides.

Always goes well with some quality sauteed mushrooms in a garlic, parsley & Creme Fraiche sauce, fresh sauce Bearnaise for the steak, as well as potato au gratin, or simply a oven fresh baguette and some herb butter. And a quality Bordeaux is always a great match.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lazy R said:

Crockett, please do tell about your wet aging.

The Prime filets from Costco come wet aged, I just add another 2 to 3 weeks, which may go past the "Best by date".

Img-0195.jpg

This is how they look like when being bought cleaned.

Img-0203.jpg

I still remove any silver skin etc, and cut them into 3" steaks.

Img-0205.jpg

Then everything gets vacuum sealed again, and into the freezer:

Img-0206.jpg

When ready, I let one portion thaw in the fridge, at least over night, still in the sealed bag. Then I open it up, pad it dry, and let it sit on the counter for at least one hour. Then I usually cut it in half.

Hitting the very hot pan...

Img-0192.jpg

Potato halves are also a great side. I brush them with quality olive oil and only add salt, black pepper and paprika.

Img-0190.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, crockett said:

Al Czervik knows how to cook.

You are too kind. ?

18 hours ago, Lazy R said:

Crockett, please do tell about your wet aging.

If you want to get the full benefit out of good meat, aging is a must.  The prime rib I served for Christmas was dry aged for a couple of weeks.

Every couple of weeks or so I will treat myself to a ribeye.

I let it get to room temperature, then rub it down with butter, sprinkle on some Corky's, and then throw it on the grill after the grill gets as hot as I can get it.  Just a couple of minutes on either side and they come out tender and incredibly flavorful.

Corky's is one of the few things good about Iowa.  I order it online and it is amazing on pork and beef...

See the source image

My ex-wife's best friend is friends with the creator of it.