Offenhauser Racing Engines

DrB

"The postwar years were a golden era for Offenhauser racing engines. From 1947 to 1964, every winner of the Indianapolis 500 was driving an Offy engine, and in most of those years the entire podium was powered by Offenhauser."  Reading articles today on this.

And a golden era for indy racing.  I loved the racing back then.  Goodyear vs Firestone tires, I remember also..  Going to look into that also.

Dave..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2019 at 3:22 PM, norton said:

Miss the days when men were men and the Indy 500 was dominated by roadsters.

Indy classic roadster offy.jpg

Those were the days.  They had a track here my dad took me to when I was a boy.  They raced super modified and stock cars (when were real cars you could buy) back then.  I think the track was something like 1/3 mile banked up ends.  Always loved to go.

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Circle jerks, Dirt track racers, old cars, and young kids, used to be all over the place here in my state.  Sadly, they have all gone away, except the kids, because of lawyers, insurance companies, noise, dirty, and electronics devices that didn't get Johnny dirty, hurt, or sued.

It used to be fun to grow up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

Circle jerks, Dirt track racers, old cars, and young kids, used to be all over the place here in my state.  Sadly, they have all gone away, except the kids, because of lawyers, insurance companies, noise, dirty, and electronics devices that didn't get Johnny dirty, hurt, or sued.

It used to be fun to grow up.

The track here still lives...  Next summer I have to make it a point to go.  From my house on a clear summer night and the wind in the right direction I can faintly hear the cars..  Local racing still lives here for the time being.  Lorain County Speedway and Sandusky Speedway.  North Coast Ohio. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DrB said:

The track here still lives...  Next summer I have to make it a point to go.  From my house on a clear summer night and the wind in the right direction I can faintly hear the cars..  Local racing still lives here for the time being.  Lorain County Speedway and Sandusky Speedway.  North Coast Ohio. 

When we moved into our house it was about a mile line of sight, to a local drag strip.  It was fun on weekends listening to the warm up revs, the race.  You could tell who won pretty much by the sounds of the engines.  A neighbor down the road a block from me used to run some early rails.  He was the local hero with the track record for 200 mph for a couple of years.  He would borrow my welding gas rig occasionally for some car work.  He would hoist one bottle on each shoulder and walk home.  He was STRONG! 

When you walked into his garage he had one corner of boxes, floor to ceiling of pistons.  He said he went through a "few".  His car was supercharged and had direct drive.  Just an early bucket rail.  His wife was bugging him about racing being dangerous and he had to worry about his family.  She finally got him to quit racing.

One day he came over and asked me to run his car for him, just once, for the last time, so he could hear it run.  I backed out since I knew nothing of driving race cars, and felt I could lose his whole investment for him through my ignorance.  He said, there was nothing to it, just floor the gas and pull back to put it in gear, and hang on.  I never had the courage to do it, but have anguished for years thinking about what I had passed up.

Edited by janice6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, janice6 said:

He said, there was nothing to it, just floor the gas and pull back to put it in gear, and hang on.  I never had the courage to do it, but have anguished for years thinking about what I had passed up.

Hahaaa...  When I was dating my ex-wife she took me to a go cart track.  Not the slow amusement park stuff but the go fast track.  Damn...  She lapped me at least twice and everyone else.  When I asked how she drove she said " Pedal slammed to the Puss..y. No brakes".  Get it on.....  She was sideways in the turns....

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DrB said:

Anyone else here have any local short track racing?  Just local not pro.  Just the cars you can put together in a local garage?

Elko speedway,

3/8 mile asphalt oval since 1965 hosts Thundercars,late models and fiqure 8 trailer and bus races.

they even have a drive in,we try to go at least once a year for the eve of destruction.

i used to have friends that raced there and anyone can run there as long as the car is safe.

the front straight is really slippery and fast.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 12:24 PM, DrB said:

Anyone else here have any local short track racing?  Just local not pro.  Just the cars you can put together in a local garage?

We go 10-12 times a year. There's 3 paved ovals within 40 min of my house and another 4 paved and 5-6 dirt tracks within 2 hours.

• Like 1

Many years ago I was invited to the Indy 500. An old college pal was an executive with Goodyear Tire Co. The Goodyear co has a club house near Gasoline Alley. I was in invited to make a few laps in the pace car that year prior to the main event. I have had  many close calls in aircraft. But I have never been as scared as I was in that Mercury lapping the high banks at Indy. 

• Thanks 1

The other kids always knew what type racing you had gone to over the weekend.  If your car was coated with dirt, it was "dirt track stock car racing". If you car was covered with tiny little rubber balls it was paved track stock car racing.  It was fun.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 10:33 PM, holyjohnson said:

school buses.....

some can only run the short buses...

Were there kids on board?  When I was a boy we had a young female driver, Betty, who drove like that on her route. We always wanted her for our bus driver.  Could hardly sit in the seats.  We loved it.... Radio blasting and away we went.....   Many years later saw her later at a social event.  We had a drink or two..she was still young at heart and still good looking...

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2