Collards and BE peas?

gwalchmai

Black Eyed Peas, Hog Jowls, Boiled Cabbage, Corn Bread and Hot Black Coffee with my Wife and her Family at her 93 y.o. Mother’s house on their Cattle Ranch.....Peach Cobbler Dessert. Happy New Year to you all! May the Great Opossum smile upon you, your families and friends throughout the New Year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Moshe said:

Collars I like if they are boiled.  The only sauerkraut I like is on a Reuben.

Collars (like yellowtail) are best grilled or fried.  Now if you're talking shirt collars, I guess boiled would make them more tender.  What kind of dipping sauce goes well with those?  ?

1 hour ago, Al Czervik said:

Collars (like yellowtail) are best grilled or fried.  Now if you're talking shirt collars, I guess boiled would make them more tender.  What kind of dipping sauce goes well with those?  ?

You saying yellowtail sushi isn’t good? Hmmmm

I like collards, Field Greens, Turnup Greens and Polk Salad.  I like collards cooked down with side meat and sprinkled with crushed red pepper. I want enough salt and lard in my greens that folks don't think, I am eating Health Foods. 

Your dietary habits reflect my most ‘favoritist’ things to be eating.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dog Soldier said:

I like collards, Field Greens, Turnup Greens and Polk Salad.  I like collards cooked down with side meat and sprinkled with crushed red pepper. I want enough salt and lard in my greens that folks don't think, I am eating Health Foods. 

Yes, poke salad adds a nice bite to collards and turnip greens. I notice you call it "Polk", which is what a lot of folks I grew up with call it, but we're from Polk County, which I assume is why. Story I heard is that it's called "poke" because when you gather it you put it in a bag (a poke), but you do the same for all greens, so I don't know. In any case, it's gooood! :supergrin:

7 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Yes, poke salad adds a nice bite to collards and turnip greens. I notice you call it "Polk", which is what a lot of folks I grew up with call it, but we're from Polk County, which I assume is why. Story I heard is that it's called "poke" because when you gather it you put it in a bag (a poke), but you do the same for all greens, so I don't know. In any case, it's gooood! :supergrin:

I enjoy Sematic history. Now you bring up an interesting point. Yes, I remember my Grandfather a tobacco farmer back East referred to a "poke", of bread?  The brown paper bags were called "pokes" as well. I always assumed the Poke Weed  plant was just a matter of dropping the "L"? The Poke Weed Greens had to be picked in early spring when the plant was small and tender. Poke Salad was wilted with hot bacon grease. The plants grew large over 5' bearing many pods of berries. The Polk Berry Wine can be poisonous as can the mature roots and leaves. Poke Weed like tobacco and tomatoes is a Night Shade plant. . But I also liked "Dandelion" wine. Thanks so much for that very interesting post.