Aussies on board?

Mrs.Cicero

I need some help!  I'm looking for a good history of Australia BEFORE the arrival of the Brits.  Basically, a history of the Aborigines.  We have all kinds of history books of the different Native Tribes here, there HAS to be something like that for Australia, but I can't find a damn thing.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Even a good tv documentary would help.  Thanks!

• Like 1

That's the problem with oral history cultures - books are hard to find. You would think though that there would have been Europeans who translated the oral histories to books, as happened in North America.

Then again, as everyone knows, Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so therefore they would not wish to write down their history, which people could then read.

2 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I need some help!  I'm looking for a good history of Australia BEFORE the arrival of the Brits.  Basically, a history of the Aborigines.  We have all kinds of history books of the different Native Tribes here, there HAS to be something like that for Australia, but I can't find a damn thing.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Even a good tv documentary would help.  Thanks!

I googled, "Australian aboriginal history books" and got this:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=7GgqXM_hJaqA0wLNkr3YBQ&q=australian+aboriginal+history+books&oq=australian+aboriginal+history+books&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0.31327.35295..38758...0.0..0.167.925.0j6......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i22i30.4ttn00zJ69o

• Like 1

I always wanted to go to Australia, esp after seeing Linda Koslowski's backside almost get bitten by a croc in that film. However, my wife has been bingewatching a Netflix show called Instant Hotel, and I'm getting the impression that the entire country has become a bad version of murcan reality TV. Maybe it's just that show (although she watched another that wasn't very impressive, either).

And maybe I'm just old... :)

9 minutes ago, t4terrific said:

Watch the movies “Quigley Down Under” and “Crocodile Dundee”.

I learned everything I know about Aborigines from movies.

I did a google search and came up with this article that may be of interest. Maybe not.

https://theculturetrip.com/pacific/australia/articles/the-6-best-books-about-aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-history/

Quigley Down Under is a family fave!  

• Like 1

I have a good friend who I've known since the seventh grade who has lived in Australia since the seventies. He's a musician and traveled to England in the late sixties and from there he ended up in Australia. He's returned to the states several times and has told me a lot about the country. I have another friend who lives in Melbourne. I'd like to visit there someday but I don't know if I could stand the long plane ride unless I got a flight with a sleeper berth which are obscenely expensive,  It's 18 hours from Seattle to Sydney. I used to like air travel back in the sixties but these days it really sucks.

As far as things that want to kill you, My one friend in Melbourne who was a surfer back in the sixties said the sharks were the only things he's ever worried about

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I have a good friend who I've known since the seventh grade who has lived in Australia since the seventies. He's a musician and traveled to England in the late sixties and from there he ended up in Australia. He's returned to the states several times and has told me a lot about the country. I have another friend who lives in Melbourne. I'd like to visit there someday but I don't know if I could stand the long plane ride unless I got a flight with a sleeper berth which are obscenely expensive,  It's 18 hours from Seattle to Sydney. I used to like air travel back in the sixties but these days it really sucks.

As far as things that want to kill you, My one friend in Melbourne who was a surfer back in the sixties said the sharks were the only things he's ever worried about

I'd love to go there (and New Zealand) but I'm not going unless I can go first class.  The flight would kill my back.  My last flight to Poland nearly left me in tears, and I dread having to sit in those horrible seats for more than an hour...

But I'm still trying to find a book that is all pre-Brit Australia.  Everything seems to be "what happened to the Aborigines when the Brits showed up" which won't help me.

9 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I'd love to go there (and New Zealand) but I'm not going unless I can go first class.  The flight would kill my back.  My last flight to Poland nearly left me in tears, and I dread having to sit in those horrible seats for more than an hour...

But I'm still trying to find a book that is all pre-Brit Australia.  Everything seems to be "what happened to the Aborigines when the Brits showed up" which won't help me.

MY daughter worked for an importer and spent many hours in flights to SE Asia and China.  I listen to her and I just couldn't do that long in the air.

9 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I think you can start with ‘Blue Mountain Dreaming: The Aboriginal Heritage’ by Eugene Stockton. He bases his book on archeological studies and personal knowledge of the region and the people. Here is a review of the book by the Australian Archeological Association.

https://australianarchaeologicalassociation.com.au/journal/review-of-blue-mountain-dreaming-the-aboriginal-heritage-by-eugene-Stockton/