Best way to cut a kydex holster?

PNWguy

Since adding a red dot to my G19, I've discovered that my favorite carry holsters no longer work (big surprise).  

So, I ordered a CYA IWB kydex holster off of Amazon that I thought would be close.  It's not, really.

I have a heat gun and plan on modifying the holster to work.  But, I need to do some cutting in addition to using the heat gun to make it work.  What would be the best tool to use?

I have a dremel tool, but not sure what cutting discs I have.  Also have a coping saw that might work.  And a metal blade in a jigsaw...

Should be fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Since adding a red dot to my G19, I've discovered that my favorite carry holsters no longer work (big surprise).  

So, I ordered a CYA IWB kydex holster off of Amazon that I thought would be close.  It's not, really.

I have a heat gun and plan on modifying the holster to work.  But, I need to do some cutting in addition to using the heat gun to make it work.  What would be the best tool to use?

I have a dremel tool, but not sure what cutting discs I have.  Also have a coping saw that might work.  And a metal blade in a jigsaw...

Should be fun.

I used to make Kydex belt clips by the "pack" since I kept breaking them at the bends. 

Use a very fine blade to cut it.  Like a fine tooth plywood blade for large pieces.  For small I could use a right or left cutting metal shears.  I used the Dremel small diameter sanding drum for curves.  Don't make any sharp inside corners they will crack.  Make all inside and outside corners with a decent radius.  I used a machinist "deburring" tool to round the cut edge, but sanding will work also.

I made my own IWB at first but decided it was too much work and bought from vendors instead.  Chicago screws are great if needed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeG36 said:

I'd use a Dremel cutting wheel then various grits of sandpaper / emery cloth to knock down the rough spots to a smooth finish. You can use the polishing wheel and compound to shine it up if you like but 400 grit wet sanding is probably good enough.

What he said, Dremel will make quick work of it.