RANT! A scheduled life

NPTim

7 hours ago, NPTim said:

So I went to a barber shop to get a haircut. They said I’d have to make an appointment. Now BofA strongly prefer you make an appointment to transact almost any business. 
Maybe I’m old, maybe I don’t buy green bananas anymore, but I HATE TO MAKE APPOINTMENTS. 

Where the **** are REAL barber shops? Where you wait your turn for your favorite barber? Where you read field and stream, popular mechanics, guns and ammo. You never waited more than an hour. You talked about cars and broads, hell even politics were discussed, back when civility reined.

#1. Move to a less populated area.

#2. Don't bank with B of A. Join a credit union.

#3. Bring your own magazines to read.

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."-- LP Hartley (1895-1972)

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, NPTim said:

So I went to a barber shop to get a haircut. They said I’d have to make an appointment. Now BofA strongly prefer you make an appointment to transact almost any business. 
Maybe I’m old, maybe I don’t buy green bananas anymore, but I HATE TO MAKE APPOINTMENTS. 

Where the **** are REAL barber shops? Where you wait your turn for your favorite barber? Where you read field and stream, popular mechanics, guns and ammo. You never waited more than an hour. You talked about cars and broads, hell even politics were discussed, back when civility reined.

That barber shop is in Soldotna Alaska. Old guns hanging on the wall. A couple gray haired barbers that will shoot the **** with you.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

That barber shop is in Soldotna Alaska. Old guns hanging on the wall. A couple gray haired barbers that will shoot the **** with you.

Okay, seriously, man. The next time I'm up there, we gotta hang out. Probably no sooner than 8 of 19, but even if I gotta swing by and shake your hand on the way to catch a flight to Katmai. For real.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Citra47 said:

I have used a Flowbee since the mid 90's.  By that time a good, old fashioned barber was getting hard to find and I figured, what the hell, why not?  Once you get the hang of it, it cuts very well and gives a good cut. I am now on my third unit and I see the price has gone up about thirty bucks since my last purchase. Regardless, that haircutting system hooked up to a small shop vac has saved me at lease a few thousand dollars.

Those exist?

I thought it was just a gag...

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

I get my hair cut one of two places.  Either The Man Shop, which features all attractive women that must moonlight as bitchy female bartenders, because that's the attitude most of them have.  Or a place called Mr. Leon's School of Hair Design.  Yeah, Mr. Leon's is a beauty school.  Which means that veterans get their hair cut for free and each hair cut is supervised by an instructor.  I get a different girl every time and they all have deliciously white trash backgrounds that they are eager to share.  It's great entertainment.  Even though the haircut is free, I tip $10.  I usually make an appointment, and the hair cut takes about 45 minutes due to the close supervision and great conversation about their boyfriend's dream of opening a tattoo parlor and Pitbull training center.  Haven't got a bad one yet.

The Man Shop hair cut is $13 and I usually tip $7 to make it an even $20.  But they are very fast; usually in and out in 15 minutes.

Worst place I've ever been was at a Great Clips in the local mall.  Both hairdressers were extremely large and annoying females; easily 400-pounders.  They bitched to each other about something, were slow, and my hair cut was awful; uneven and she missed spots.  I actually had to have her do it over it was so bad.  $15 haircut and I tipped $1.  Never again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

I get my hair cut one of two places.  Either The Man Shop, which features all attractive women that must moonlight as bitchy female bartenders, because that's the attitude most of them have.  Or a place called Mr. Leon's School of Hair Design.  Yeah, Mr. Leon's is a beauty school.  Which means that veterans get their hair cut for free and each hair cut is supervised by an instructor.  I get a different girl every time and they all have deliciously white trash backgrounds that they are eager to share.  It's great entertainment.  Even though the haircut is free, I tip $10.  I usually make an appointment, and the hair cut takes about 45 minutes due to the close supervision and great conversation about their boyfriend's dream of opening a tattoo parlor and Pitbull training center.  Haven't got a bad one yet.

The Man Shop hair cut is $13 and I usually tip $7 to make it an even $20.  But they are very fast; usually in and out in 15 minutes.

Worst place I've ever been was at a Great Clips in the local mall.  Both hairdressers were extremely large and annoying females; easily 400-pounders.  They bitched to each other about something, were slow, and my hair cut was awful; uneven and she missed spots.  I actually had to have her do it over it was so bad.  $15 haircut and I tipped $1.  Never again.

Vart, you win the internet with this post. Makes me wanna fly up and get my hair cut next to you at Mr. Leon's.

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, Maccabeus said:

You need a new barbershop.

This is the inside of my barbershop:

702479186_Screenshot_20181229-1839432.thumb.png.a85f264ef8f4604d7a03789859131227.png

Well, not my barbershop since I cut my own hair, but I have used it as my FFL for incoming firearms while others are waiting for a haircut.

what in the fornication is going on, on the television? looks like some bona fide Sodom and Gomorrah ****.

Look, man, you do you. Ain't nobody here gonna judge. much.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

what in the fornication is going on, on the television? looks like some bona fide Sodom and Gomorrah ****.

Look, man, you do you. Ain't nobody here gonna judge. much.

Yeah I noticed that, too.  ????  It's the pic from their Facebook page. I think sometimes they play those now highly dated police training videos on that TV. Usually it's nothing too out of the ordinary in there.  Just old guys getting their hair cut and young and middle aged guys looking at the guns. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My barber shop is a traditional one.  Two young gentlemen (one being the owner).  They strive to keep the old traditions alive.  Great place, great cuts, great conversations.  A typical haircut takes about 20 minutes.  A wall full of local (and some not so local) police & firefighter patches.  They know and address all their clientele by first name.  There's even an autographed photo of President Trump on the wall. 

They've built up quite the following.  The place is always busy.  Normal wait time is about an hour, but I don't mind at all.  It's worth the wait.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, Cougar_ml said:

A pair of clippers for $20 gives me a couple years worth of haircuts at one per month.  

There is also a barber's college type place nearby that I can get cheap haircuts, but I'm still too cheap even for that.

I also stopped going to the barber years ago.  Not enough hair left on top to get any sort of real haircut so I just have my wife cut it all short with this bad boy.  $20 well spent and when it craps out just replace it.

image.jpeg.17cb8ab3bb5ab971336cb21252c41d84.jpeg

To the OP: There's still at least one barber shop in town that is old school.  No appointments, Field & Stream magazine, and I'll bet they still have Playboy in the drawer for reading when there's no kids in the shop.

Edited by jk_226
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maccabeus said:

Yeah I noticed that, too.  ????  It's the pic from their Facebook page. I think sometimes they play those now highly dated police training videos on that TV. Usually it's nothing too out of the ordinary in there.  Just old guys getting their hair cut and young and middle aged guys looking at the guns. 

bro. I got off work at 0500 eastern. I'm really drunk. just thought the pic was funny as hell. Pretty sure I'd get my **** trimmed there, as well. slainte!

• Like 1

Why didn’t you open a barber shop?
  • Like 2

Old time Barber Shop in McAlester, OK on Choctaw Ave. It’s called the Big Four. It has that name because there are two barbers. The Senior Barber is a 75 y.o. Former Marine named Jimmy G. Yulaberry. He is USA borne of Mexican decent and a former boxer.....one of the finest men you will ever meet. The younger Barber is named Chris Leonardo. Chris is around 42 y.o., locally borne, and a good man as well. Together they have got about 75 years experience and one of these days one of them is bound to learn how to cut a man’s hair. I always get my hair cut there because my wife says they make me look like an escaped mental patient.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 2