Gas ring problem?

Collim1

I have a bunch of revolvers. All of them except for one are incredibly reliable. 

I have a beautiful 2” model 10-7 round butt.  It truly is gorgeous. When shooting it get gunked up under the extractor star far faster than any other revolver I own. 

Sometimes it’s only 18-24 rounds before so much unburnt powder residue is under the star it locks up. 

Is this a gas ring issue?  

My model 66 is my workhorse, and often goes several hundred rounds without cleaning shooting the same ammo, and this has never been a problem with it  

any suggestions?  

I have the same gun and it has never exhibited anything like that. It is my favorite handgun. The trigger is smooth as butter and it is surprisingly accurate.

I can fire hundreds of rounds at an outing without any sign of malfunction or binding.

If you have a lot of rounds through it, the gas ring may be bad. If you have ruled out ammo and over lubrication as contributors, there is not much else it could be.

I’ve closely inspected each of my revolvers. My pre-model 10 has gas ring on the cylinder. No issues with it. My model 64 has gas ring on the yoke. No issues with it either. My model 66 has gas ring on the yoke and no issues either. And my 442 has a hybrid setup, gas ring on the yoke, but the cylinder is cut differently to allow a good seal. No issues with it. 

The snubby model 10 that’s giving me problems has the gas ring on the yoke, and a bushing inside the front of the cylinder. I don’t understand why it’s an issue.  Maybe time to call a gunsmith.  

I’ve  always wanted a 2” six shot to carry and this ine is a beautiful example. I really want it to work out. But I don’t trust it so far. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 1

You may want to contact Smith & Wesson. Mine appears to be the same gas ring setup and I do not have any issues with it. I have fired lots of different rounds through it over the years, too. Most of the rounds were not top shelf ammo!

Here is a good exploded view drawing of the gun: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/revolvers-sw/10-7

Are you the original owner of the gun? Is your extractor rod collar(part #4) in place when assembled? If that is missing, it may cause the problem you are having.
If you are not the original owner, check for missing parts or something assembled incorrectly.

Edited by GuitarmanNick
  • Thanks 1

I am not the original owner. I bought the gun used but in like new, possibly unfired, condition. It’s a ~1977. 

Everything appears to check out. Cylinder is assembled correctly and the fit, lockup, timing, and cylinder gap are all spot on. 

Its puzzling. I’ve only shot it twice since I had it, so I haven’t really had a chance to start eliminating variables and narrow it down. 

• Like 1

I am never the original owners of the 686 or the 66 line.  I remember drooling over them when I was younger, and I ended up with Taurus Stainless 66 (Essentially a copy of the 686).  But, when you grow up, get a wife, and irritate her, you can end up with 4 pre-lock 686's.  Even when you give her the best shooting one with a nicely polished trigger that is smooth in double or single. :)

1 hour ago, Moshe said:

I am never the original owners of the 686 or the 66 line.  I remember drooling over them when I was younger, and I ended up with Taurus Stainless 66 (Essentially a copy of the 686).  But, when you grow up, get a wife, and irritate her, you can end up with 4 pre-lock 686's.  Even when you give her the best shooting one with a nicely polished trigger that is smooth in double or single. :)

I find the SS guns to be quite ugly, but they are practical work horses. 

My 66 is my range gun and carry around the hunting property and my 3” 64 has been a carry gun. 

Sometimes practicality wins.  

• 4 months later...

It’s been a while, but I finally made it to the range.

I left my reloads at home and shot 100 rounds of Speer Lawman FMJ and 100 rounds of PMC FMJ through the model 10 snubby.

No problems at all. No gunk under the extractor star, no sticky cylinder.

I guess my reloads with Win 231 are just dirty. Maybe this gun is tighter than all my others and won’t tolerate it.

I read Win 231 doesn’t burn completely at light loads. Next batch I load will be the max standard pressure .38 loads. Hopefully it will burn cleaner at that load. I will probably find a new powder when I run out of this. 231 sticks to everything making it a pain to measure and pour anyway.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:27 AM, Collim1 said:

It’s been a while, but I finally made it to the range.

I left my reloads at home and shot 100 rounds of Speer Lawman FMJ and 100 rounds of PMC FMJ through the model 10 snubby.

No problems at all. No gunk under the extractor star, no sticky cylinder.

I guess my reloads with Win 231 are just dirty. Maybe this gun is tighter than all my others and won’t tolerate it.

I read Win 231 doesn’t burn completely at light loads. Next batch I load will be the max standard pressure .38 loads. Hopefully it will burn cleaner at that load. I will probably find a new powder when I run out of this. 231 sticks to everything making it a pain to measure and pour anyway.

Bullseye is better for light loads, especially wadcutters. Get some Bullseye and only use 231 for your other guns. You might also try titegroup. If the problem persists, find a local gunsmith ho knows S&W's or send it back to the mothership.

• 1 year later...

Load some rounds with E3 (3 to 3.4 ought to be a good spot), it says shotgun but it works well in 38s. I load Short Colts with it and make Minor. I've very clean and never a problem with it fouling up my wheelies.