Simple Things In Or Around Your House You Have Sat and Watched?

DrB

For me this day.  I just came in from playing with my dog outside and now she sleeps in front of the wood stove.  I have a beer and sit here watching her sleep.  Simple pleasure in life that I enjoy.

What you folks have for those simple things?

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have posted before about my 6 foot long bird feeder.  I just love to watch when the weather is bad, raining, snowing,  or just cold out.   Seeing a solitary bird up to it's belly in the middle of the food just looking around   and enjoying the shelter and the roof.  It makes me feel good.

The critters that clean up under the feeder are fascinating also,  They range from, Racoons, to Squirrels (lots of Squirrels), to my special favorites, a Possum and a small Bunny.  I see them on the CCTV cameras come from all directions, to get a bite to eat when the weather makes it difficult to find food.

I have one camera just for the feeder.  They all have IR floods on them so I can watch without disturbing them day or night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

This afternoon's ground crew hard at work:

(Birds sit on camera and knock it out of alignment)

image.thumb.png.7eb7e6920ef04da2e68e86d25c0bfa92.png

I envy your bird feeder.  Someday I want to make something similar.  Good Job...

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my neighbors had an old outside cat that used to climb my oak tree and keep the squirrels terrorized. Haven't seen the cat in a couple weeks. Counted 10 tree rats in my back yard the other day. I want the cat to come back.

I sleep during the day a few days a week (messed-up schedule), and those things sound like a brick being thrown on the roof when they jump out of the tree and bound across the roof.

So, I guess my new thing is counting squirrels in the back yard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DrB said:

I like the large PVC pipes on the outside supports o keep the tree rats out of the seed....  Just noticed that

Dave..

I have passed the adult Racoon test also.  Racoons are the reason that the PVC is as high as it is.  I see the adults stand on their hind feet and reach above to try to get to the edge of the PVC, so far none are long enough to reach it.  The position away from the patio roof is slightly farther that the longest jumping Squirrel. 

I used to see one or two of the most adventurist Squirrels, make the leap from the patio roof to the roof of the feeder.   We took the tree down in the center of the yard and it took down the feeder with it.  I used the opportunity to replace the feeder to put it just out of the "jumping Squirrel range".

• Like 2

I like watching the clouds covering and uncovering the moon.  

Before we had to cut it down, there was a black walnut behind our old house that I loved to watch, sometimes for the nuthatch that would pick bugs out of its bark, and sometimes just to watch the moon pass through its branches at night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I used to like sitting in the dark waiting for the birds to come out of the forest, when I used to hunt deer.  It is always coldest right before dawn.  They coyotes would have their last call before sunrise.  You think any small motion you make is somehow more dramatic than it is.  Birds come to tell you off as you sit in a small blind on a chair.  You are constantly checking both feeders, listening to them go off in the woods, sounds really loud after sitting still for so long.  You wait and wait depending on the moon phase, whether the deer come out early or late.  The bucks you have to see if the spread is legal around here at least 12 inches whether they are 8 pointers are not.  Bucks are stupid.  You can whistle at them, just to see if they will put their head up enough to gauge the spread.  Do that to a doe, and she is gone.  I would hunt does when they were legal.  No fines.  The last one I ever shot two years ago now, was huge, I had to get help just transporting her to camp for cleaning.  I guess if you are going to go out, go out big.

I've (still) got that Mockingbird in my yard. I still call him ******* and fantasize how to burn his tree down- which will be MY tree tomorrow after closing.

He used to get started with his bitching charade at 2 AM. Now he starts at midnight, to make sure that I won't get a chance to fall asleep before he gets started.

I waterboarded him countless times in the middle of the night. He takes a full load up his tiny ass with the garden hose before he fucks off to another tree across the street. The neighbors will call the ward soon, since they don't understand the purpose of watering the same tree at 3 AM or so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Depends which way I look. I love to watch the dogs interacting in the house and the antics of the various barn cats out side. The cats get a special kind of joy walking past the windows and looking in to set the dogs off. Out the front of the house I can watch the donkeys  in their paddock's and out the back of the house we can watch the cows come through the woods to their water tanks. 

• Like 3