The New Whiskey Thread

tadbart

Interesting, Jame. I was gifted a fifth of Jack Daniel's Rye from a friend who drinks rye exclusively.

NOT A FAN.

I choked it down, quick.  I've also had Bulleitt Rye. Same results. Close enough to whiskey, but not quite.

That stated, I love the high-octane Turkey whiskeys. But for sure, if I was ever to distill my own, it'd be 50+ percent corn, somewhere between 15 and 30% wheat, and the remainder of the 49% as malted barley.

• Like 1

Best whisky I've ever had...

Suntory Royal Blended Whisky, Japan

Saw on a grocery store shelf in Japan for around $40.  Liked the stopper.  Bought it for my brother.  He and my dad said it was the best whisky either of them had ever had, including some $200 bottle stuff earlier this year at my brother's bachelor party.

• Like 1

I'd definitely like to tour the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Those guys got a lot going on there. Other than a few local touristy distilleries, the only "real" one I've toured is Jack Daniel's. Highly recommend that, if anyone is ever in the area.

• Like 1

I've heard that there are only a few distilleries and they distil for pretty much all the bourbon makers. It's what happens after that makes the magic happen. I've got a small barrel and have been thinking about putting a char on the inside and trying my hand at bourbon making. The problem is waiting for the results. We have a couple local distilleries near where I live. One is really close, I should take a tour but I'll bet it's nothing compared with the old established companies in KY and TN. 

13 minutes ago, MikeG36 said:

I've heard that there are only a few distilleries and they distil for pretty much all the bourbon makers. It's what happens after that makes the magic happen. I've got a small barrel and have been thinking about putting a char on the inside and trying my hand at bourbon making. The problem is waiting for the results. We have a couple local distilleries near where I live. One is really close, I should take a tour but I'll bet it's nothing compared with the old established companies in KY and TN. 

Buffalo Trace has their hands in a lot of barrels. Such as bottlings by E.H. Taylor, Jr, George T. Stagg, Albert B. Blanton, Orville Schupp and Elmer T. Lee. Heavy hitters!

Start here. https://homedistiller.org/forum/

Remember, it's not even really a grey area of the law. Uncle don't like folks making likker. That stated, you'll find a lot of interesting information at the above site. I'd recommend toasting that barrel at 400 for a few minutes before putting a char on the inside. Brings out different flavors, more malt and vanilla and toffee, less harsh oak.

EDIT-

My first attempts at aging whiskey started with plain Ol Smoky white lightning. Added some charred oak cubes (from a beer making supply store). Move the bottle from freezer to counter a couple times a week to speed up the process. Came out pretty good- kinda Woodford Reserve-ish.

Edited by tadbart

@Valmet ain't nothin' wrong with having special whiskey and everyday whiskey. The bottle I drink most often is 25 bucks a handle. Big fan of Blanton's. If I find a bottle at retail (seen them go for $100), I'll buy it every time. There's a couple bottles of Blanton's and a half-gallon of Weller's in the back of the safe. Those come out when good company comes over.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tadbart said:

Weller's.

Blanton's.

Maker's Mark

Jack.

Rebel Yell.

There's my top 5.

Three wheated bourbons. A sour mash, and a typical corn/barley/rye mix.

Whatcha drinkin, TBS?

I’m drinking two of your top 5. Blanton’s and Maker’s Mark.

• Like 1

Eagle Rare

Buffalo Trace

Woodford Reserve

My top three go-to whiskeys. I found the Rebel Yell a tad thin in flavor, but the price was right.

Good to see you Keith! Happy Holidays and give my best to the Beer Lovers over at the other place.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KWalrad said:

Eagle Rare

Buffalo Trace

Woodford Reserve

My top three go-to whiskeys. I found the Rebel Yell a tad thin in flavor, but the price was right.

Good to see you Keith! Happy Holidays and give my best to the Beer Lovers over at the other place.

Hey KW! Good to make contact with you. Happy holidays to you too. Your name came up in the beer thread just a couple of days ago, you are missed! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, KBKEITH said:

Hey KW! Good to make contact with you. Happy holidays to you too. Your name came up in the beer thread just a couple of days ago, you are missed! 

Yeah... I thought about texting you, T, and Joe and wishing ya'll a merry Christmas, but didn't think the Sam Adams was up to par with what you guy's would be drinking.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

I’m drinking two of your top 5. Blanton’s and Maker’s Mark.

I apologize in advance, but you should really try the Weller's if you can find it. I concur with above, that Rebel Yell is a bit light on flavor. My guess is that it isn't aged as long as the other, richer wheats (Weller's and Maker's). Wouldn't mind finding one of their barrels and aging a few gallons of it.  Man, I gotta get up to Kentucky and tour some distilleries!

I'll grab Pendleton and Overholt next time I go shopping. Always up to try something new.

Your local bottle looks good! The local guy's (Palm Ridge) stuff isn't that enjoyable. He tried to age it with orange wood, as a niche Florida thing. Next closest is St. Augustine Distillery- Their whiskey is good, just young. Their gin, however, is superb. I hear there's a distillery over in St. Pete- may have to go check them out soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

I apologize in advance, but you should really try the Weller's if you can find it. I concur with above, that Rebel Yell is a bit light on flavor. My guess is that it isn't aged as long as the other, richer wheats (Weller's and Maker's). Wouldn't mind finding one of their barrels and aging a few gallons of it.  Man, I gotta get up to Kentucky and tour some distilleries!

I'll grab Pendleton and Overholt next time I go shopping. Always up to try something new.

Your local bottle looks good! The local guy's (Palm Ridge) stuff isn't that enjoyable. He tried to age it with orange wood, as a niche Florida thing. Next closest is St. Augustine Distillery- Their whiskey is good, just young. Their gin, however, is superb. I hear there's a distillery over in St. Pete- may have to go check them out soon.

I appreciate the advice. I’ll keep my eyes open for the Weller’s. Is it hard to find? The Blanton’s I bought Thursday was kind of a fluke. The store clerk saw that I was looking at bourbon and said he had 3 bottles of Blanton’s in the back room. I’m pretty new to bourbon and decided to go for it. Glad I did!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tadbart said:

Interesting, Jame. I was gifted a fifth of Jack Daniel's Rye from a friend who drinks rye exclusively.

NOT A FAN.

I choked it down, quick.  I've also had Bulleitt Rye. Same results. Close enough to whiskey, but not quite.

That stated, I love the high-octane Turkey whiskeys. But for sure, if I was ever to distill my own, it'd be 50+ percent corn, somewhere between 15 and 30% wheat, and the remainder of the 49% as malted barley.

I get where you’re. coming from, as when I couldn’t get Templeton Rye, I’d try some other brand of rye with the same result you had.

There’s just something about Templeton that’s exceptionally smooth, with just the right amount of spice.  If you find some bar that happens to stock it, give it a shot.  It might surprise you.

Edited by jame
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

I appreciate the advice. I’ll keep my eyes open for the Weller’s. Is it hard to find? The Blanton’s I bought Thursday was kind of a fluke. The store clerk saw that I was looking at bourbon and said he had 3 bottles of Blanton’s in the back room. I’m pretty new to bourbon and decided to go for it. Glad I did!

6 hours ago, jame said:

I get where you’re. coming from, as when I couldn’t get Templeton Rye, I’d try some other brand of rye with the same result you had.

There’s just something about Templeton that’s exceptionally smooth, with just the right amount of spice.  If you find some bar that happens to stock it, give it a shot.  It might surprise you.

KB, Weller's has been relatively easy for me to find, having bought approximately 2 gallons recently at ABC. But I've built a relationship with them, and they'll stash a bottle aside for me when they get their allotment. For example, last week, they got 4 fifths, 2 half gallons, and 8 375mLs. When I went in, and asked if they had any put aside, they said they were waiting for me with a handle. it was like $45 bucks. But the best 45 bucks you'll spend on a half gallon of bourbon, ever. It's like undiscovered Pappy.

Blanton's is a strange bird. I'll find it for retail ($65) for a while, then won't find it for under 100 bucks. I buy it for retail when I can, and never go below two fifths in the safe.

Jame, I'll add a bottle of Templeton when I see one. I'm trusting you, mannnn… I've not had a rye I've truly enjoyed neat or straight up, ever. Now, talking Old Fashioned or Manhattan, that is a different conversation...

• Like 2