Weird stuff that only excites you

Al Czervik

1 minute ago, Presguy said:

That's a very good looking.. what is it, exactly?

I personally geek out on vintage wool blankets (point blankets, Hudson Bay, etc). It's a weird hobby that doesn't excite many people.

It is a hangiri, for making sushi rice.  It is made out of Japanese cypress, with two copper bands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Presguy said:

Very cool. I've never made sushi; I tend to leave it to the pros. Do you scoop the rice by hand, or is the a paddle of some sort that contours to the hangiri?

Is care similar to a butchers block, using something like beeswax or mineral oil, or is cypress more naturally resilient?

Season with water and rice vinegar overnight, dry and you are ready to go.  It is soaked or wetted prior to adding the sushi rice and seasoning.  Then, the seasoning is cut in with a rice paddle.

You do remove the rice with your hands.

Rinse, dry, store where air can circulate.

I make sushi at least every other week, if not weekly.  The rice for my nigiri has never been perfect.  My expectation is that this inches me closer to that goal.

Edited by Al Czervik
  • Like 2

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Brown Hawk said:

Isn’t there supposed to be whisky inside?  And a top? 

JUst kidding.  It looks nice, but for me, just a dust catcher.

Hawk

The whiskey barrel reference reminded me of my favorite soy sauce. They buy whiskey barrels that were used once to age whiskey and they age their soy sauce in them. This is the best soy sauce I’ve ever tried. 

ADF4B491-0FDF-46D6-98B7-97984F0ABAE0.thumb.jpeg.b78088529aa36c3368765cec432febc5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Eric said:

The whiskey barrel reference reminded me of my favorite soy sauce. They buy whiskey barrels that were used once to age whiskey and they age their soy sauce in them. This is the best soy sauce I’ve ever tried. 

ADF4B491-0FDF-46D6-98B7-97984F0ABAE0.thumb.jpeg.b78088529aa36c3368765cec432febc5.jpeg

I'll have to try it.  There is a local store that sells it for about ten bucks for the 100 ml, so I have been hesitant.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, crockett said:

It looks great!

Where do you find fresh fish? All I can find is in the frozen section of WholeFoods, and that is very limited.

I catch a lot of it myself.

But, if I need to order something, CatalinaOP, Fishforsushi, and Giovannis are my go to purveyors of sushi grade fish.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
Just now, Al Czervik said:

I'll have to try it.  There is a local store that sells it for about ten bucks for the 100 ml, so I have been hesitant.

It is pricey, but it is good. It is a little expensive to use for cooking. I just use it as a condiment. I love this stuff on just about everything. I found recently that it is delicious on eggs/omelettes. 

• Like 1

I’m originally from NJ but now live in Mass.  I grew up doing 10 pin bowling but two years ago was converted to New England’s own “candlepin bowling” (but this is dieing even up here).  No one is more zealous than a convert...and I can become “consumed” by a new interest... ?

Candlepin has three balls per frame, smaller pins and bowling balls, and the pins knocked down stay on the lane for the whole frame.  The “dead wood” can be played with interesting (to me) ricochets and such.

I became interested in the history of the game reading up on it a lot.  There’s only one manufacturer who still makes the balls, the Epco Paramount Company of Milford, MA.  So now for a related tangent.  I found out that the Atari Corporation back in the Arcade Boom days sourced their trackballs for the game Missle Command from Epco.  The trackballs are actually candlepin bowling balls.  The trackball concept was relatively new and they needed them for the a Arcade game.  After some head scratching, they found out Epco made a ball of the size needed (or acceptable) and when asked the response was “Sure, we got 20k of those...”

So loving both video games and candlepin bowling, I decided I had to get a trackball.  And bowl with it.  So I searched for “missle command trackball assembly” on eBay, “won” the auction, ripped the ball out of the assembly, and I bowl with it.  Such cachet!

Also after this became interested in: Duckpin bowling, Canadian five pin bowling, and Detroit’s Feather bowling, actually doing that last one on a business trip to Detroit...

I’d say that this behavior qualifies me for the thread if not epitomizing it...

BA7B0742-56AE-44A8-9D98-2B265296B4DC.jpeg

F017BF49-5C36-4C37-8DFE-B992B09C266B.jpeg

06849FBF-9F15-4424-B1DE-CF18B54391A0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ChuckUles said:

I’m originally from NJ but now live in Mass.  I grew up doing 10 pin bowling but two years ago was converted to New England’s own “candlepin bowling” (but this is dieing even up here).  No one is more zealous than a convert...and I can become “consumed” by a new interest... ?

Candlepin has three balls per frame, smaller pins and bowling balls, and the pins knocked down stay on the lane for the whole frame.  The “dead wood” can be played with interesting (to me) ricochets and such.

I became interested in the history of the game reading up on it a lot.  There’s only one manufacturer who still makes the balls, the Epco Paramount Company of Milford, MA.  So now for a related tangent.  I found out that the Atari Corporation back in the Arcade Boom days sourced their trackballs for the game Missle Command from Epco.  The trackballs are actually candlepin bowling balls.  The trackball concept was relatively new and they needed them for the a Arcade game.  After some head scratching, they found out Epco made a ball of the size needed (or acceptable) and when asked the response was “Sure, we got 20k of those...”

So loving both video games and candlepin bowling, I decided I had to get a trackball.  And bowl with it.  So I searched for “missle command trackball assembly” on eBay, “won” the auction, ripped the ball out of the assembly, and I bowl with it.  Such cachet!

Also after this became interested in: Duckpin bowling, Canadian five pin bowling, and Detroit’s Feather bowling, actually doing that last one on a business trip to Detroit...

when i was younger and lived in Boston we would Candlepin bowl a lot mostly at Southie bowlarama and Sacco`s,no one knows what that is here i tell people we used to have it on t.v. on Saturday and Sundays and people would actually talk about the games the next day.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Presguy said:

That's a very good looking.. what is it, exactly?

I personally geek out on vintage wool blankets (point blankets, Hudson Bay, etc). It's a weird hobby that doesn't excite many people.

I have a large (fits a queen size bed) 4 point Hudson's bay blanket that has the black, yellow, red and green stripes, the 4 points, and then green. red, yellow and black stripes. My parents bought the blanket in Canada in the early fifties and gave it to me when I moved from southern California to Washington state in 1998, I use it every winter an dit has literally lasted my family a lifetime.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric said:

sometime in 2019, I'm gonna send ya something. I'll let ya know when it's ready. Slainte!

• Like 1

I love mechanical watches, pocket watches and clocks. I don't have any clocks at the moment but I've probably got 20 to 30 pocket watches and about the same number of wrist watches. I'm no watchmaker but I love to tinker with them and get them working again if I can. I'm too lazy to do it now but I'll post some pictures over the weekend if I can find the time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChuckUles said:

Feather bowling at the Cadieux Cafe. I have done that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1