What guns you thinking about buying in the coming year or few months and why?

Silentpoet

32 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

Sometime in the new year I want to buy either a SA Range Officer or a Ruger SR1911. I might trade into an M&P 2.0 full size 9mm. We'll see. tom. :cowboy2:

I have never owned a 1911.  Carried one in the Navy and liked it.

Was thinking about getting a Ruger SR1911 or a RIA variant.  But I have been getting so much grief on a couple of other forums about why 1911s are better than Glocks that I now despise 1911s.

Seriously, how ignorant do you have to be to think that a 10mm 1911 would be more reliable and a better choice than a Glock 20 for woods carry??

So, no 1911s for me for awhile, despite me enjoying shooting them and appreciating the history.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

Was thinking about getting a Ruger SR1911 or a RIA variant.  But I have been getting so much grief on a couple of other forums about why 1911s are better than Glocks that I now despise 1911s.

Seriously, how ignorant do you have to be to think that a 10mm 1911 would be more reliable and a better choice than a Glock 20 for woods carry??

So, no 1911s for me for awhile, despite me enjoying shooting them and appreciating the history.

I've owned dozens of 1911s and like them a lot. My hands are wide but with short fingers so any Glock is too thick for me to shoot well. Glocks are great guns if they fit your hands. tom. :cowboy2:

• Like 2

Sig 365 or S&W shield 2.0 in 9mm for carry.  Not sure which.  I'm looking for something in between my M&P compact & S&W 642.

Ruger PC Carbine for fun.  I've heard rumors of a .40 being produced and may wait to see if that materializes.

I still want an AR upper in .458 SOCOM, but that's not likely to occur in 2019.  I have no real need for it, but find a big bore AR intriguing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

More reliable than a Glock?, not likely.  The best a top notch 1911 could hope for is as reliable.

Better? That's more subjective.  The grip on a 20/21 is larger than optimal for me.  I have to fudge my grip to get enough finger on the trigger.  Someone in the same boat may find a 10mm 1911 easier to shoot well.

I get what you're saying though.  Some folks are a little too zealous in their love of one or the other.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PNWguy said:

I  have both.

I like both very much

Sometimes you want the nastiest club in the valley, and sometimes you want the finesse and finish of a statesman.

It depends on what type of crowd you expect.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t buy another glock because I cannot shoot them for crap.  I shoot my vp9 ok, but not as good as my usp.  A glock wouldn’t be a good choice for me for any practical purpose.  Now it’s possible that I might shoot the compacts better than the full size but there are other options I shoot ok in that size category.

• Like 3

I was really excited when I saw the Ruger was going to release a 10 mm SR1911, but when I got one in my hands, I just did not like the feel of it. I guess that is why have never owned any 1911.

As far as what I might buy this year, I really had nothing on my wish list until the other day when I was walking the property and was on the site where our house used to be before the fire. I saw something poking out of the ground and it turned out to be what was left of my old 10/22. That kind of gave me the bug and I have been looking at all of the current variations of them. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 6:20 PM, Citra47 said:

I have not owned  an Heckler & Koch in many years but their P2000 V3 in 9mm seems pretty interesting. Does anyone one here have one?

Not in 9mm, mine is 40 S&W. It is a nice model. If you get a V3 you will probably like it.

• Thanks 1

I sort of rushed the 2019 purchases.  Rural King Guns ran a nice sale at the end of 2018. One of the sale items is one I have had my eyes on for some time; the light weight, easy to carry Ruger SR22. I checked and the local store in Ocala had a few in stock so into town I drove on New Years Eve day and picked up a new RUGER SR22.  Shoots very well, seems to eat all the various .22 LR types of ammo I tried and even happens to fit a belt holster I already own. SHOCKING! :2gun:

IMG_3339.jpgimage.png.f77ccb2b58ba4c0b1c8239fdc081f2f2.png

Edited by Citra47
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Citra47 said:

I sort of rushed the 2019 purchases.  Rural King Guns ran a nice sale at the end of 2018. One of the sale items is one I have had my eyes on for some time; the light weight, easy to carry Ruger SR22. I checked and the local store in Ocala had a few in stock so into town I drove on New Years Eve day and picked up a new RUGER SR22.  Shoots very well, seems to eat all the various .22 LR types of ammo I tried and even happens to fit a belt holster I already own. SHOCKING! :2gun:

Pics?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Citra47 said:

Someone needs to explain to this simple minded child just how to put pictures  up on the site. Then, If I can follow the instructions, maybe ………………………...☹️  I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world.  

Just click below where the paper clip icon is and where it says "Drag files here to attach, or choose files" and it should bring up the pictures files on your computer.

38 super_n.jpg

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Wally720 said:

A Henry all weather in 45 Colt will be here in a couple days. Maybe something in 260 Rem later this year. 

Why not 6.5 Creedmoor? Less case capacity but consistent chamber dimensions for better accuracy and factory ammo is more accurate as well. Also a much better selection of different rifles chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. If I just wanted to be "different" I'd go with a 6.5 Swede.

• Like 1

Why not 6.5 Creedmoor? Less case capacity but consistent chamber dimensions for better accuracy and factory ammo is more accurate as well. Also a much better selection of different rifles chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. If I just wanted to be "different" I'd go with a 6.5 Swede.
Actually I'm considering all three of those. Just haven't decided on one definite, yet. I'm not in any kind of hurry and I'll be playing with the new Henry a lot, developing loads. Also waiting on getting my GP100 back from a trigger job. It needs to be shot. I need to unload some brass to reload. Lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Wally720 said:

Actually I'm considering all three of those. Just haven't decided on one definite, yet. I'm not in any kind of hurry and I'll be playing with the new Henry a lot, developing loads. Also waiting on getting my GP100 back from a trigger job. It needs to be shot. I need to unload some brass to reload. Lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think Savage makes the most accurate out of the box bolt actions today and they are among the most affordable. you can get a basic rifle for under $500 or you can get the Long range hunter model with an adjustable cheek piece and a longer barrel for more velocity for only $650.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/5198/Savage+16LWH+6.5+CREEDMOOR

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/44935/Savage+11+Long+Range+Hunter+6.5+Creedmoor

But for a good rifle in 6.5 Swede you'll pay a little more money but6 it would be worth  it especially if you like blued steel and wood rather than stainless and synthetic. Listed here as out of stock is the Tikka T3 Hunter model which is an excellent rifle in 6.5 Swede. they can be found on Gunbroker for about $800

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=6.5x55&products_id=19042&typeid=2&sort=3a

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=tikka 6.5x55

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I think Savage makes the most accurate out of the box bolt actions today and they are among the most affordable. you can get a basic rifle for under $500 or you can get the Long range hunter model with an adjustable cheek piece and a longer barrel for more velocity for only $650.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/5198/Savage+16LWH+6.5+CREEDMOOR

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/44935/Savage+11+Long+Range+Hunter+6.5+Creedmoor

But for a good rifle in 6.5 Swede you'll pay a little more money but6 it would be worth  it especially if you like blued steel and wood rather than stainless and synthetic. Listed here as out of stock is the Tikka T3 Hunter model which is an excellent rifle in 6.5 Swede. they can be found on Gunbroker for about $800

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=6.5x55&products_id=19042&typeid=2&sort=3a

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=tikka 6.5x55

Thanks for the info. I'm really liking everything I'm reading about Tikka and Swede both, so I'd most likely go that route over Creedmore. Nothing wrong with CR and I know Savage makes great products. 

• Like 2

I’m looking at several.

Remington V3 Tac 13 in 12 gauge

Pair of Colt SAAs 1st gen in .45 LC

Uberti Carbine in 38 special

Chiappa 1887 lever action shotgun 12 gauge

If I decide to start shooting 3 gun in addition to CAS I’ll also be looking at:

STI DVC 3 Gun

Daniel Defense DDM4P11 Pro

Before I buy any of those I need a new truck, probably an F150 Supercrew. On a typical Saturday we’ll have 5 shooters, 20 guns and 700+ rounds to haul to the range, not to mention gun carts and gear. My Camaro can’t fit all that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

I wouldn’t buy another glock because I cannot shoot them for crap.  I shoot my vp9 ok, but not as good as my usp.  A glock wouldn’t be a good choice for me for any practical purpose.  Now it’s possible that I might shoot the compacts better than the full size but there are other options I shoot ok in that size category.

Don't know exactly why, but I've always found if a gun feels really good in my hand I shoot well with it.  If it doesn't, I'd better not buy it.

• Like 2