Gen 5 G19 MOS with Burris Fastfire III mounted.

PNWguy

I know when I was researching what sight to use, finding pics of the new G19 Gen 5 MOS with this particular sight installed was difficult, so I thought I'd make a post so people could find something to reference when thinking about the same combo.

Bought the G19 about a month ago and it is a joy to shoot.  Just a very natural pointing pistol for me and is my carry gun.  Also hope to use it for GSSF as well.  The bad part was that I have astigmatism and am very near-sighted, so I wear progressive glasses.  I bought new glasses this summer and the near-sight section was much smaller, making using sights nearly impossible.  They are always blurry.  I bought a cheap $50 reflex sight off of Amazon to test out on my G29.  Unfortunately, the astigmatism causes the red dot to be distorted, making it not much better than standard sights.  I shot one GSSF match with it and my scores were just slightly better than with open sights.

I read the reviews of the Burris, and it was supposedly parallax free and would be clear for folks with astigmatism.  It's not, unfortunately...  The damn dot is still blurry and distorted.  But the sight itself is impressively light and well-made.  Definitely a step up from the Amazon/China stuff.

It fits the Glock 9mm slide width perfectly and looks good.

I had three carry holsters for the G19 and the sight only works with one; some off-brand OWB kydex I got off of Amazon that I didn't really like.  So now I'm in search of an optics-friendly IWB holster with sweat guard.

The install itself was easy, but only because I researched and learned that I needed some aftermarket screws.  Bought some M3-.05 x 8mm screws and filed them down to 7mm length.  The Glock 6mm screws are too short and the 8mm screws are too long.  The new screws were $.25 each and are perfect now.

VtTwVFA1Smi0CHRRwckHWw.jpg.8696d5ea7d124c47cbfab32a24caca59.jpg

DzlV-d4HSaePgPn742eswg.jpg.999216bb378af115f23a978ef4c0b6c7.jpg

Wz1cJMTLSZWIDuCx6JpoFA.jpg.0531050658936c49ca5ccfe87b410179.jpg

16 minutes ago, ToniTX said:

No cowitness ?

No; not planning on adding suppressor sights even though it's a carry gun.

My brother, stepdad, and I were talking about it the other night. Brother is a veteran cop and now a Detective who has been involved in shootings. Dad is a retired Chief of Police and FBI guy.

I trust their opinion and input into such things. The current defensive drill that local cops (and me) are using is to draw and fire two rounds point shooting as soon as the firearm clears the holster, then while backing up, the firearm is brought up and two more shots are fired using the sights.

We talked about the odds of first even being involved in a defensive shooting, which are miniscule. Then the odds of being in a defensive shooting where aimed fire vs. point shooting was required, then the scenario of being in a defensive shooting, where aimed fire was needed, and the red dot malfunctioned. We agreed that the odds of such were astronomically tiny.
I may change my mind later and pony up the money for taller sights.  Heck, I may even remove the reflex sight completely and use it on something else.  But for now, I really don't see the need for them.

• Like 1

The only experience I have with the Burris FF3 is on my 22/45 lite. How do you plan to turn on the FF3 in a defensive scenario? I find it awkward/slow to turn on with a range gun, unless I'm doing something wrong I am not sure it would be easy enough to do in a adrenaline dump scenario.

If you haven't already done so try the 3 MOA Trijicons to see if your eyes work with that. My wife has an astigmatism in one eye and she can shoot my EDC without issue, however a friend of mine says the dot looks like a star (he has the astigmatism in both eyes), so it must be person by person. My RMR is the original, model RM01.

20 hours ago, Mike said:

How do you plan to turn on the FF3 in a defensive scenario? I find it awkward/slow to turn on with a range gun, unless I'm doing something wrong I am not sure it would be easy enough to do in a adrenaline dump scenario.

I plan to turn it on when I put the gun in the holster and leave it on when carrying.  I can't carry at work, so the most I am in public and carrying a pistol is 2-3 hours.  Shouldn't be an issue...  :dunno:

• Like 1

Got to the range today with just a couple of handloads and a couple of flavors of factory 9mm.  Purpose was to mainly get the red dot sighted in and make sure all was OK with it.

Got it sighted in and fired about 100 rounds through it.  It is still tight and there were zero issues with it or the pistol.

Even though I wasn't ready to do any heavy accuracy testing, I was able to get a fairly impressive 1 7/8" 5-shot group at 25yds using a sandbag rest and a load consisting of Hornady 115gr FMJs and 5.5gr of Ramshot Silhouette.

IMG_20181227_150316128.jpg.715fa45ea8b24c62d56741a335bfd036.jpg

Pistol did not like the Speer Gold Dot 124grs and best groups are with 115gr bullets.

I swapped in a Storm Lake barrel that I bought for my old G19 Gen 4.  This barrel was a huge disappointment in the Gen 4 with no discernible decrease in felt recoil or muzzle flip and much, much worse accuracy compared to stock.

It gave similar results in the Gen 5 pistol...

IMG_20181227_152154312.jpg.b1d7285dfde182cae0658960fbc99ebf.jpg

IMG_20181227_152209459.jpg.131006a02ab8e35568cba4c994e0e46b.jpg

Overall, very pleased with the performance of the sight and the pistol.  Sub 2" groups from a 9mm carry pistol at 25yds is pretty impressive.  Pretty much confirmed that my eyes were limiting the pistol's performance at longer ranges.  My 7yd groups did not improve at all with the red dot.  Looking forward to testing all of my other reload recipes to see if I can do any better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PNWguy said:

I plan to turn it on when I put the gun in the holster and leave it on when carrying.  I can't carry at work, so the most I am in public and carrying a pistol is 2-3 hours.  Shouldn't be an issue...  :dunno:

Ok, that would make sense.

What is the expectancy of battery life on the FF 3, I never paid any attention to that when I bought mine as I knew it would be on a gun that I wouldn't care if the battery died on? My RMR is one of the always on models and I just change the CR2032 battery once a year, so far that has worked good for me. Hopefully the FF 3 battery life is similar.

38 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ok, that would make sense.

What is the expectancy of battery life on the FF 3, I never paid any attention to that when I bought mine as I knew it would be on a gun that I wouldn't care if the battery died on? My RMR is one of the always on models and I just change the CR2032 battery once a year, so far that has worked good for me. Hopefully the FF 3 battery life is similar.

Rated for 5000 hours, which if I use it for three hours a day, that's about 4.5 years.  Replacing it once a year seems prudent.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/26/2018 at 10:09 PM, ToniTX said:

No cowitness ?

So.  I have been debating doing this to a pistol.  And...call me old fashioned...but i like my iron sites....but the OPs currently configuration precludes them from being used.

What is the general feel about not having manual sites.   I mean, to some extent i don't think the red dot is likely go go bad.   But what if you're taking this pistol for a walk and today is the day your battery goes dead...and now you don't have sites when you need them.  I guess you change the batteries every couple of years...and that makes it work.

Edited by Historian