Carbon County, Wyoming scanner alert?

PNWguy

I have a scanner alert app installed on my phone for work.  Basically, it alerts me whenever there are more than a set number of people tuned into a specific scanner frequency.  The purpose is to alert the user to an emergency in a specific area.  It's based on the theory that when something unusually bad happens, more and more people with police scanners will tune in to a specific frequency to get the juicy details.

Usually, it works quite well.  

Most small towns and such have less than 50 people tuned into a specific frequency.  I have the local frequencies set to alert me if there are more than 250 people tuned in.  Often, my work scanner is the only one tuned into the local frequencies, LOL.

When the Las Vegas shooting went down, there were over 25k listeners tuned in.  Most alerts involve around 3k listeners tuned in and I get an alert maybe twice a month or so.  In the Summer, Chicago PD will have over 3k listeners on the weekend just because the chaos is constant there.

This morning, I see an alert from Carbon County, Wyoming Emergency Services and over 6400 listeners.  Whoa.  Alert was about 15 minutes old.

So I check Fox News and nothing.  I do an internet search and nothing.  I check the Carbon County Facebook page and nothing.  Weird.

So no idea what happened in Carbon County, Wyoming.  I tuned into the scanner channel and sounded like normal traffic.

• Like 1

Talking about radio scanner... I just finished my install in my RAM. The head unit, phone and laptop can also pull scanners, but the Uniden BCD536HP is fine-tuned for all local agencies.

We had a police chase just a couple weeks ago and sure enough, I could park my ass right in time to see them flying by.

Img-1156.jpg

• Like 4

I see your truck came with the dial for the shifter.  When I was shopping for mine, I specifically made sure I got one with the older 6-spd as I thought the dial that was standard with the 8-spd would drive me nuts.

How do you like the dial?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

I see your truck came with the dial for the shifter.  When I was shopping for mine, I specifically made sure I got one with the older 6-spd as I thought the dial that was standard with the 8-spd would drive me nuts.

How do you like the dial?

Well, I got used to it, but I don't like it. It has some funky electronics and an electric motor inside the dial. When you shut off the engine while the dial is still in drive, the small motor will turn the dial back, which then tells the trans to go into park. At some point this nonsense will fail, and I bet the replacement part is several hundred bucks.

Another issue is, that I now can't drive with open door anymore, for example when backing out of the garage. When I had the truck in the shop a few days after bringing it home, neither me nor the tech knew why he couldn't get the damn thing on the lift. He had the door open to see the ramp, and the truck kept putting the dial automatically into park. Totally backwards. That's what happens when technology takes over and thinks it knows whats best for us. At some point I will permanently ground the stupid door switch. Getting also tired of that annoying "your door is open" chime when standing somewhere with open door and radio (ignition) on.

The 8 speed seems to be good, but I usually dictate the highest gear manually. This thing goes into 8th gear at around 50 mph. I force it into 6th unless I'm hitting the highway. At some point I'll get the ECM unlocked and a tuner. Not so much for performance but I will change the auto trans shift patterns and disable that annoying cylinder deactivation crap.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2