Well, I won't do THAT in the future

ARP

I worked this evening, actually almost 24hrs. The trip started at 0045, I went out into the middle of No Where PA, picked up Amish and took them to Quaker City, OH. I dropped them off and then went to a hotel for the morning/afternoon, went and picked them up at 1800 and took them back to No Where and finished up the trip at 2330.

When I arrived for work last night, my vehicle was the only one in the lot. I was the only sole working for us last night, I don't recall that ever happening in 16 years. I agreed to work (could of said send some rookie out, I'm #3 on seniority list) so that some one else could have the evening to spend with family/grandkids vs being out bangin' around in a bus half the night. My Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember is spent with family at my cousin's farm house, I'm not married, have no kids, just nieces nephews and cousins and sisters. But I gave up my night, and at first I was good with that.

So the trip wraps up and the Amish gave me the Otto Graham stiff arm for a tip. I think I have said before, tips are never expected and always appreciated, the Amish in general are generous people, but in this case, Christmas Eve, helped out with some planning decision enroute, drove 548 miles?????? Oh well, they must have been European Amish.

The more I think about this, I have no room to beef. I was over at that other site that shall not be mentioned and read a few awful news stories about a Louisville PD Officer getting killed in a DUI involved accident and then the PD dog in Florida getting shot, my complaint is petty and trivial. More things for me to "personally" work on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For most of my 24 years in the Army I worked either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, or sometimes both, as the hospital duty officer. As a non-Christian that does not celebrate Christmas, I always volunteered to work this holiday, as well as Easter Sunday, feeling that it was the right thing to do to not make someone that does celebrate the holiday spend it away from family. Of course, being in the military meant that the extra work was without extra pay, but the satisfaction of knowing I helped someone else not have to miss Christmas was more than enough to make the volunteering worthwhile. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Christmas is about giving of ones self to others.

Your selflessness allowed some other co-worker the opportunity to spend some quality time with their loved ones.

You done good. Rest easy with that thought. 

Merry Christmas and continued safe travels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1