Mattis Ordered to Leave the White House Two Months Ahead of Schedule.

steve4102

15 minutes ago, steve4102 said:

Finish what?

Why were we in Syria in the first place?

What was the Military objective?

You don’t remember?  

This was Obama’s “line in the sand” moment that we so roundly criticized, remembers?  He’d threaten and stomp over human rights violations and harboring terrorist cells, but he wouldn’t go, and somewhere along the line, we finally went in.  And with Mattis at the helm, we’ve been flushing them out like rats, and doing a damned fine job of embarrassing Russia in the process.  And when Mattis says we should stay, I have a tendency to believe him, because he’s a Marine, a warrior, and a master of things military.

But, I digress.........Trump, by some form of osmosis, has absorbed those qualities, so letting Mattis go makes perfect sense.  Maybe he can go to the border to not build a wall or something, right?

20 minutes ago, steve4102 said:

Finish what?

Why were we in Syria in the first place?

What was the Military objective?

The Russkies have been buds with the Syrians since the end of WWII.  They have have the naval base in Tartus since 1971.  In the next few lifetimes, they will not be our friends.  Let the Russkies have'em.  Let's spend our money and people power making a difference where it is possible.

4 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

You can’t take almost anything he says literally/seriously apparently. 

Lock her up 

build/pay for a wall

Repeal O-care....

He should have made Trey Gowdy AG and hillary would be in jail.

Working on the wall.

O-Care is not his fault, RINOs messed that up.

I only hold him responsible for hitlary.

33 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

He should have made Trey Gowdy AG and hillary would be in jail.

Working on the wall.

O-Care is not his fault, RINOs messed that up.

I only hold him responsible for hitlary.

For what ? His daughter also used personal email, her too? Should the Trump family be in jail for tax evasion? 

9 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

bruh-wut-in.jpg.f490c72c707e9b72f421bd3714b93ed4.jpg

He is doing what Obama did, both of them are doing what Hitler did.  I don't need the legislature or the law to tell me what to do.  Now he wants "Captains" to go out and campaign for him?  When no one learns from History, it repeats itself.  Hitler told the Reichstag he would do it his way and they were unneeded.  Lenin pulled the same card.  These two "Presidents" who constantly say and go around the law, is what happened in the past.  They were very popular for doing so.  Each picked out a group they did not like and began purging them.  When you can't see the chords of history, you get surprised when it happens again. 

9 hours ago, jame said:

And with Mattis at the helm, we’ve been flushing them out like rats, and doing a damned fine job of embarrassing Russia in the process.

Who must have missed the part where Mattis agree that ISIS is wiped out.

Erdogan’s point, Bolton was forced to admit, had been backed up by Mattis, Pompeo, U.S. special envoy for Syria Jim Jeffrey and special envoy for the anti-ISIS coalition Brett McGurk, who have said that IS retains only 1 percent of its territory, 

18 hours ago, jame said:

Don’t waste your time.  The Trumpians will just spin the words to make it look like he did what he said, but he didn’t, but he did.

If anyone would like to believe in the lessons of history, maybe someone could recite what happened when Johnson took the reins during the Vietnam Nam conflict.  Politicians have no business in battle directives.  Mattis is a warrior, and Trump is not.  

Johnson didn’t let us finish Viet Nam, and Trump won’t let us finish this.  This is bordering on tragic, and I’m afraid we’ll pay hard for this.

RenoF250 and I have challenged each other over more than just this, and been posting together for a long time. 

While I may not agree with his stance on some topics, or he mine, we’ve both been able to discuss things where we held different views. This is no different. 

While I am totally in the Mattis camp in this one, I am not implying that everything in our national security picture is completely in focus. Most folks would be hard pressed to explain the mission, goals, and objectives that relate to success in the Global War on Terror, beyond the simplistic "keep America safe". It is the job of the National Security Council to define these things, and I would not fault the President for demanding more of them.

That said, doing such a thing is obviously a complicated process. Mattis resigned because the President would not actively participate in the process, preferring instead to make policy unilaterally and arbitrarily, often by tweet.

There comes a time when a Cabinet member has to assess whether or not he/she is making a contribution to the nation. If the President is either ignoring your advice or disregarding your advice, it's time to go. That is why Mattis resigned.

The Forever Trumpers have been busy attempting to trash Mattis' reputation, when in fact they should be pleased he took the honorable path out the door. Instead, they are pissed that Mattis wasn't fired via tweet, which would fit the reality TV show genre favored by the a President. Being President of the United States isn't a reality TV show, nor is it anything like NYC real estate negotiations. Hiring Mattis two years ago was a signal that a Trump was serious about surrounding himself with the vest talent available, and many of us were elated by the prospect. Now, we're wondering if the President will accept advice from anyone not a confirmed sycophant.

Edited by TXUSMC
  • Like 1