New dashcam fun...

PNWguy

My dad gave me a cheap dashcam for my birthday and I set it up but haven't really messed with it much or tried to playback video.  Tonight on the way home from work, I had a deer run out in front of me and another vehicle and it was the closest I've come to hitting a deer without actually hitting it.

Will hopefully be able to figure out the formatting and share the video...

• Like 1

I remember when dash cam's came in VHS.  I tried to use it as evidence of a proper stop by the locals, but it ended up being another case of DWB (Driving While Brown), so the AUSA lost immediate interest.  It got **** caned.  It was interesting to watch though.

I had one in  a car a while ago.  the car got T boned, and the cam mount sheared of from the violent impact ripping out the connector which then killed the last two videos, including the one in progress.  It took video in discrete segments, stored them, and started a new one about every 15 minutes.  It would do this for a couple of months then overwrite the old ones.  

Car was a total loss, so was the video.  Before I knew that the video was trashed, I told the cop on scene that I had the dash cam video (supposedly).  He put his arm around my shoulder and told me to keep it to myself in case it was needed later on.

However, since this was close to home, and drew a crowd, my neighbor was there and he took pictures of everything.  The other driver told his insurance company that I hit him.  They called and were very indignant until I said I had pictures of everything (curtesy of my neighbor).  They asked me to email them, which I did.  They apologized for the accident and covered me completely.

I got some Yi dashcams when there was a sale on Amazon.  One mounted for the front and one for the rear.  I don't need GPS.  I keep smaller sized microsd cards in the car and a cheap netbook?  I've made videos for PDs on the spot if my dashcams recorded something.

My only issue now when warmer weather comes is mounting the rear dash cam someone.  It's not an issue now since there's no reason to put the top down but I plan on driving with the top town all the time.

2 hours ago, Presguy said:

I finally got around to installing a proper front facing dashcam about six months ago, wired into the overhead console. Powers up and starts recording when the car starts, powers down about a minute after the car does. Stores files in 3 minute chunks, automatically overwriting the oldest once the card fills.

I use this one, http://a.co/d/de2tS55 , and added the hardwire cable from the manufacturer. Tucks behind the rearview mirror, and you don't even see it from the driver's seat. From outside the car you can see it, as it hangs below the two collision/cruise cameras at the top of the windshield. I also followed a lot of online advice, and bought a "high endurance" memory card - which is apparently a lot more reliable over thousands and thousands of rewrite cycles.

I haven't been in any wrecks since installing it (knock on wood), but it has caught a few interesting/amusing videos of other people wrecking.

Before I got it, I did some reading on dashcam forums - people really get into this, with front and rear facing cameras, gps capability, automatic uploading by bluetooth, etc. I really only wanted it for a bit of liability protection. At the time I bought it, it had something like 5,000 5-star Amazon reviews and was only $100 - seemed like a good balance between cost and quality.

The only feature I wish it had, and I'll probably look into getting with the next camera, is the ability to detect bumps while parking and record for those.

I did turn off audio recording - I don't see many situations where that could protect me, and it takes more memory space.

Good call on turning off the audio.  The last thing you need is everyone watching a video of you singing along with some embarrassing song on the radio right before a crash.

6 hours ago, PNWguy said:

My dad gave me a cheap dashcam for my birthday and I set it up but haven't really messed with it much or tried to playback video.  Tonight on the way home from work, I had a deer run out in front of me and another vehicle and it was the closest I've come to hitting a deer without actually hitting it.

Will hopefully be able to figure out the formatting and share the video...

LOK618.AVILOK618.AVI LOK618.AVI LOK618.AVI

That link doesn't work for me. I get the following error notice:

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2S328/1

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Presguy said:

I can't lie.. that was definitely a factor in my decision.

I turned my Mic on my dashcam off after I heard myself cussing at all the assholes on their phones stopping 30 feet away from the car in front of them to play on their Cell Phones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured the cop didn't want to hear all that if I ever needed to show it to one.  I Know I'll be cussin if there's a wreck.

Yeah, I can't figure out how to edit videos.  My computer is so slow that downloading the complete video, which is three minutes, took 20 minutes.  And it's crappy 720p resolution.

I downloaded it to my Amazon Prime Photo account so will mess with it at work tonight.  What video player has an edit function?  I didn't see one on the Windows media player.

Got it edited down to just a few seconds. 

But I've never been able to upload photos or video from my work computer on this site.  The paper clip area is always greyed out and says "loading".  No issues on other sites, so no idea.

If I start a new thread, the first post I can upload files, but subsequent files don't work.