Mattis is leaving

Dric902

In his letter to Trump, Mattis acknowledged that a strong nation relies on a "comprehensive" network of alliances, and must be "resolute and unambiguous" in approaching countries with strategic differences, citing China and Russia.

"Because you have the right to have a Secretary of Defense whose views are better aligned with yours on these and other subjects, I believe it is right for me to step down from my position," Mattis wrote.

While SECDEF is a political appointee, I don't think that politics ever affected Mattis' thinking on national defense or international security issues. Like all career military officers, he is hard-wired to be apolitical in his views. If he had been told during the hiring interview that being a partisan Republican was job # 1, he would have respectfully declined the position.

He has universal respect from both sides of the Congressional aisle. He knew that he had a duty to step down if he could not reconcile his personal opposition to he President's views on national security. When he does leave, don't expect him to be a frequent (or even infrequent) guest on the Sunday morning news shows. I do expect his advice to be sought by future Presidents. He will not run for office. He will probably take positions with "think tanks".

Edited by TXUSMC
  • Like 1