New Ford Ranger. Meh...

PNWguy

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/2019-ford-ranger-test-drive-its-back-but-is-it-the-best

ranger-blue.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

ranger-2.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Not a bad looking pickup, but really just a 3/4-sized F150 with only one motor option and two cab options.  All are more than what you can buy a new Ram 1500 for and about the same price as a comparable Tacoma.

I guess auto makers have given up on offering affordable and basic little pickups, consumers be damned.

• Like 2

"I guess auto makers have given up on offering affordable and basic little pickups, consumers be damned."

I totally agree. Back in the 80's I had a basic Toyota 4x4 I bought new. No a/c no radio and manual transmission. I loved that truck. That's not the actual truck but it was similar.

Image result for 1987 toyota truck

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Duluth said:

"I guess auto makers have given up on offering affordable and basic little pickups, consumers be damned."

I totally agree. Back in the 80's I had a basic Toyota 4x4 I bought new. No a/c no radio and manual transmission. I loved that truck. That's not the actual truck but it was similar.

After being disappointed with my $72k Denali Dmax truck I tried to replicate the good old days by searching nation wide for a cheap 4 x 4 V8 single cab, long bed RAM 1500 Tradesman work truck. I found one 3 states up North for $26k, sticker $37k. It was on the lot for a full year. Nobody wants those simple single cab work trucks anymore. It's really sad.

I'm really enjoying this truck so far. No issues in 5k miles. It gets better MPG than the Duramax, faster as well.

Img-0991.jpg

Edited by crockett
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, tadbart said:

That's pretty godawful.

Like you said, looks like the days of the basic little work truck (Ranger, S-10) are gone. Wonder if Mahindra makes trucks?

The trend of the pickup becoming the family car has totally killed off the real work truck.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Duluth said:

i had the same truck except mine was brown   , brand new in 87   i paid like  7,400  .  if  i knew what the future would be  i would have bought a fleet 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ASH said:

i had the same truck except mine was brown   , brand new in 87   i paid like  7,400  .  if  i knew what the future would be  i would have bought a fleet 

My brand new regular cab Toyota 4x4 with the chrome package was $11,800 in 1992.  

• Like 1

I had an 05 Dakota that if I had one ton of crap on it many times.  It struggled and was way overloaded but did the job when needed.. Farm life.  How many bags of groceries can this thing haul? 

Dave

Edited by DrB
spelling
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, DrB said:

Yep... Can you put a ton of weight in that? For the farm here no thanks....

Dave..

My first truck was a 1969 F100. I would load it full of junk engine blocks and other metal from our shop a couple of times a year to take to the scrap yard. The loads I hauled would probably crush most ½ ton trucks today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rinspeed said:

Mini trucks have always sucked big time, the room for your gear sucks, the gas mileage sucks and the available power and towing sucks.  What kind of an idiot buys a vehicle that is inferior in almost every metric there is, seriously.     :dunno:

I guess I'm baller status.  I have both.   Wait, I have 6 cars lol.  

Most of the manufacturers of small, inexpensive work trucks have been forced out of the U.S. market by "required safety standards" enforced by our government. There was never a large mark-up on work trucks. The one thing I have noticed in most all countries we have traveled in is the use of small trucks with Toyota far in the lead in sales. Gas & diesel fuel are very expensive and most roads in the countryside are narrow. Many other Japanese trucks are in heavy use that have never been sold in the U.S. other than the used vehicle "gray market", "off road only", some Land Rovers and in the cities, medium Japanese trucks see heavy commercial use. Most farmers seem to have a Toyota but usually with a larger, aftermarket bed so they can carry more.

Contrary to popular belief, Toyota pickups are not widely used in Japan.  They are too big. 

Most pickups in Japan are Suzuki diesels about the size of a Rav4.  I have lots of pics I took over there this summer of various pickups I found interesting.  Only saw one Toyota Hilux the entire month I was there.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:39 PM, crockett said:

After being disappointed with my $72k Denali Dmax truck I tried to replicate the good old days by searching nation wide for a cheap 4 x 4 V8 single cab, long bed RAM 1500 Tradesman work truck. I found one 3 states up North for $26k, sticker $37k. It was on the lot for a full year. Nobody wants those simple single cab work trucks anymore. It's really sad.

I'm really enjoying this truck so far. No issues in 5k miles. It gets better MPG than the Duramax, faster as well.

Img-0991.jpg

How many llamas can you fit in the box? :dunno:

• Like 2