Subaru BRZ

crockett

I've got this weird urge for a BRZ. While the boxer engine isn't very powerful in stock form at some 200 horses, it can be easily and reliably tuned with a turbo kit starting at $4,000. This car is known for excellent and sporty handling. Would be a nice project car, starting at $25k only, new that is. Very lightweight with a lot of potential.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by crockett

• Administrators
1 minute ago, crockett said:

I'd be down for that as well. :biggrin:

Slut. 

But seriously, a Mustang base price is about the same as that Subaru and the base 2.3L Ecoboost engine has 310hp & 350ft/lbs of torque. Pretty respectable numbers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Remember, once you start increasing HP, your car is only as strong as its weakest link. Gotta upgrade tranny to match higher HP and torque. However, for a project car, it might be fun.

I'm not certain on the BRZ, but in the Mustang it's just the clutch that needs to be up-graded. But that is a real expense in itself, with the labor.

Turning a BRZ into a Turbo car, though, isn't just slapping a turbo system on it. Lots more needs to be done.

32 minutes ago, Eric said:

Slut. 

But seriously, a Mustang base price is about the same as that Subaru and the base 2.3L Ecoboost engine has 310hp & 350ft/lbs of torque. Pretty respectable numbers. 

While I like the Mustang nod, they are very different cars. The BRZ is a canyon-carving sports car, and the Mustang is a grand touring sports coupe.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moshe said:

And if it doesn't work out, he might find a nice male couple to sell it to.  :)

Image result for tubs and crockett embrace

Philip Michael Thomas actually lives close to me. He stayed in the Miami metro for a long time after the show was canceled back in the day. He moved to central FL in the 2000s. Met him once when I was running the largest Miami Vice forum around. That guy doesn't age.

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

I'm not certain on the BRZ, but in the Mustang it's just the clutch that needs to be up-graded. But that is a real expense in itself, with the labor.

Turning a BRZ into a Turbo car, though, isn't just slapping a turbo system on it. Lots more needs to be done.

They hold up great to the smaller turbo kits. Obviously the 400+ RWHP kits will need more mods. I'm just bored at times and need a new project. I had so many V8s over the years, even a W12. A 4 cylinder cheap boxer would be something new.

51 minutes ago, crockett said:

They hold up great to the smaller turbo kits. Obviously the 400+ RWHP kits will need more mods. I'm just bored at times and need a new project. I had so many V8s over the years, even a W12. A 4 cylinder cheap boxer would be something new.

I'm fully supportive, I think the're great cars.

Are you suggesting that a smaller turbo kit means there's no need for suspension/brakes/clutch, etc.?

At minimum, better wheels and tires are necessary. Then, hell, let's do some suspension. And yeah....those brakes look small in those wheels, let's gets some massive Wilwoods or Brembos........

Then, you circle back around and do the BIG turbo kit. 500HP. Damn it, now the trans and drive-shafts are snapping....

Have your driven one yet?

Edited by M&P15T

The BRZ appeals to people who like to drive, as opposed to people who just want to push a pedal and feel some g-force ("not that there's anything wrong with that").

I drive a Miata, but if I didn't want a convertible top then I'd be driving a BRZ.  The other option is a Porsche, but that calls to be pushed to higher speeds to get the same thrills.  I need my thrills within the confines of the law... Or at least not so far outside of it that I'd go to jail.  

Edited by JTMac
  • Like 3

I love the BRZ.  Back in 2014, I went to look at one and test drove it.  The only issue was I had two kids to drive around and my youngest would not fit in the back seat at all.

So I bought a Legacy instead and said I would get the BRZ in 2018 when my daughter turned 16 and started driving on her own.

Well, 2018 came and I went and looked at the BRZ again.  Loved it.  Started working the paperwork out and when they told me what they were giving me for my Legacy, I backed out.  Subaru guaranteed trade price was horrible.  I owed $8k on the Legacy and they would only give me $12k (used '15s were selling for around $18k in my area) and wouldn't give me 0% financing since that was only for '18 Outbacks. 

I ended up buying an '18 BMW 430i xDrive convertible.  They gave me $15.5k on my Subaru and 0.9% financing.

I might go back later for the upcoming redesign of the BRZ.  Then again, I'm really loving this hardtop convertible.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Motorcycles don't have pedals.

Which is kind of like a motorcycle.

but way more gay.

Well, you weren't dismissing a sports car in favor of a muscle car, so I certainly wasn't talking to you.  Yeah, motorcycles are great, but they're off topic.

It's hard to call the Miata "gay" when it gets so much attention from women. 

Yeah, guys tend to think that women go for the roar of a muscle car or a motorcycle.  And they do...  but just the kinds of girls who hate their dads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp1kuo6xkbE

The Miata established somewhat the same concept. It's a builders and entry level racers car. What JTMac said makes perfectly sense. These cars are fun to drive "hard" while not doubling or tripling the speed limit. I had plenty of very fast bikes and cars ranging from Ducatis, race build 1000s and a 911 Turbo. I was so damn lucky that I got away without any major ticket, I do not want to screw up my driving record up at this point.

I don't need that 500 HP turbo kit either, but 200 is a bit low. 300 to the wheels would be nice.

Subarus without AWD just don't sell around here.  Especially ones that are RWD.  I've seen one driving around and it is the same blue as the one in the video.  Nice looking car and I do a double-take every time I see one.

Isn't the Toyota 86 the same thing?  Thought it was getting a horsepower bump in the new model or something...

• Like 1