Dinner For a Cold Night

Eric

• Administrators

I just made a pot of Beef & Barley soup. It really hits the spot on a cold evening. I like to use Rotel stewed, diced tomotoes with green Chiles, for a little zip. Good stuff. 

What are some of your cold weather recipes?

13334D61-7A30-46FD-B1AE-882D6323C1BE.thumb.jpeg.c7d84184801eeb8bde7a6a8e222bb1b4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Presguy said:

Not necessarily a dinner, but one of my best "stuck in the house cause winter" memories is making Baklava with my ex-gf.

Takes lots of time to make, good two person job, cause you get to hang out and goof around while you take turns layering dough and such.

walnut-and-pistachio-baklava-646.jpg

That looks really tasty. I'll trade you a bowl of soup for a piece of it.

• Haha 2

Just now, Presguy said:

You misspelled matzoh ball.

LAMAO.  I suppose I did.  But, I can't remember the last one I have seen available.  We went out of town once, to a much bigger selection.  It said "Happy Easter/Passover."  Some, Passover, couldn't even find a chop in the place.  I got hopeful to find an onion bagel with lochs.  No go either.  My favorite food bar none/bagels and lochs.

• Like 1

I suppose I should make the natural/shiksha version this week.  I kill it, bleed it, gut it, and let it cool over night in the fridge.  My wife does the rest.  I suppose that beats some goyim morons hopping my fence, stealing two of my hens, and slaughtering a rooster (that one was a pet).  The other, they kicked in the wire on the door, I built year ago, and took a breeding rooster and sacrificed it and put it in the yard.  I guess I should be happy it wasn't a burning lower letter "t".

I just tried the most bizarre soup I've had in awhile - onion, red bell pepper, sweet potato, garlic, fresh ginger, Serrano pepper, hot smoked paprika, thyme, salt, chili powder,  curry powder, cumin water, 2 cans of diced maters, an entire cup of sunflower seed butter, kale, all cooked and thrown in the blender, then with cilantro and sunflower seeds for garnish.  It was surprisingly tasty.  And I should not have been surprised at how spicy it was... I'll be eating this for the rest of the week...

Al's go to comfort food when the temperature gets small:

Braised oxtail/oxtail stew

Green chile

Short ribs

Osso bucco

Barbacoa/beef cheeks

Cider braised pork shoulder

Tamales

Posole

Duck ramen or udon

Braised lamb shanks

Chowdah

Tonight, it was my take on Italian wedding soup, with orzo and escarole.

• Like 2

I think my favorite (okay, other than chile) is potato/bacon. 

Celery, onion, a little garlic simmered in butter. Add potatoes (sliced/diced) & chicken broth cooked until tender. A can of condensed milk (or half & half). Make a rue and add to thicken. Add the previously cooked (drained & chopped) bacon. Salt and a lot of pepper. YUM!!

I also make a mean broccoli/cheddar that's super easy.

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 1

Here's one of my recipes.  It can be as simple or fancy as you like.  

This is the recipe for four servings.

Sweat 2-3 chopped leeks and 2 large cubed potatoes in the fat of your choice.  I generally use duck fat or butter and canola oil.  Add a couple of cups of dry white wine (I usually use something like a Pinot Grigio.  Don't use anything with oak or really forward like a New Zealand Sauv Blanc), a bay leaf, and stock to just cover the veg.  Simmer until the potatoes are soft.

Remove the bay leaf and use an immersion blender to puree.  Return to a bare simmer and add 4 serving sized cod fillets (you can use any firm white fish) and simmer until just cooked through.  Adjust seasoning and serve.

It takes maybe 20 minutes start to finish.

If you want to jazz it up, add a toasted brioche crouton on top of the fish, sprinkle with some crisped up speck, fried parsley, frizzled leeks, and drizzle with sherry vinegar (or sherry vinegar reduction/syrup), and a nice olive oil.

My kids even ask for this soup.

• Like 3

Scratch made chicken noodle for me, just finished a vat today.  Feeds me for 3-4 days straight.

1 ~7 lb fresh chicken with giblets

2 lb carrots

2 lb celery

1 big ass onion

1 lb old fashioned egg noodles, medium wide

garlic / thyme / black peppercorns

some "better than bullion paste" to enhance flavor.

Throw chicken in 12 qt pot after removing paper bag giblets are in.  I may have missed this once.

Add pepper, 7-8 garlic cloves, a few carrots and celery, half the onion, bullion.  Fill with water.

Cook for 2 hours, remove chicken and shred meat, add bones back in stock

Cook 4 more hours with last onion half.  Strain stock, add veggies.  Season to taste, add thyme and noodles.  Yum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just remembered a cold weather meal that I used to make back in the day. Cheesy leek soup.

• 4 large leeks
  • 1 small onion
  • 1.5 lb ground pork
  • 2 sticks of cream cheese
  • 1 quart of vegetable broth
  • 1 garlic clove
  • lots of black pepper
  • cayenne pepper
  • salt
  • chives
  • vegetable oil
  • flour

Sear meat, add minced onion, take out, make roux, add broth, add everything else but cheese, simmer for 25 min, take off heat, add room temp cheese, stir, add chives.

Goes well with baguette and a dry white wine.

leek-soup-3.jpg

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scwine said:

Besides chili, I make this Pozole recipe quite often.  I revamped the recipe to 5 lbs of pork,  60-80 oz. of hominy, and pretty much double everything else.  Yummy.  Just made a big pot yesterday.  

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/authentic-mexican-pozole-196233

Making hominy instead of canned takes it to a whole new level.

• Like 1