Oldsmobile Rolling Ribbon Speedometer, 1960.

DrB

When I was young boy my grandpa had an Oldsmobile Station wagon.  Probably in the mid 60's.  It had a speedometer that under the analog needle had a long bar that would change colors as the speed increased.  I remember always begging grandpa to speed up so we could see the colors.  I think red was the fasted but not quite remember. 

Anyone here know? 

Dave..

Edited by DrB
Change Thread Title.

3 minutes ago, Presguy said:

You talking about something like this?

Yep that's it thanks....  That was so cool as we would always want to see the bar go to the end.  Brings back memories.

How did the display work to change the colors as the bar progressed?

34 minutes ago, Presguy said:

I don't understand it well enough to explain it myself, but they were called the "Oldsmobile Rolling Ribbon Speedometer", and if you google that there's a couple good pages, including one that shows one taken apart. There's also at least one for sale on ebay if you really wanted a piece of nostalgia.

One article I found says "1960 Olds' had a rolling ribbon speedometer which went from green-to-orange-to red, depending on speed. I discovered the speedometer tube could be made to roll so fast the color would fade to black.  This only occurred when her 315 horses galloped in excess of the 120 M.P.H. limit on the speedometer!"

Hopefully someone knows how they were made and worked.  I'll google those pages..   I remember this sitting in the front seat urging grandpa to go faster..  Her was always joking with us and would find that straight stretch of road.

Dave..

I’m thinking the ribbon is actually rolling upwards with the colors at an angle from the top left to lower right. Changing colors as it gets wider to show the increase in speed.

so it isn’t actually moving left to right but scrolling up and down, just with a small slot to view it as it rolls.

just a guess

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dric902 said:

I’m thinking the ribbon is actually rolling upwards with the colors at an angle from the top left to lower right. Changing colors as it gets wider to show the increase in speed.

so it isn’t actually moving left to right but scrolling up and down, just with a small slot to view it as it rolls.

just a guess

Good guess..  This has me scratching my head.  Someone here has to know how it worked.  Curious mind here...

Dave..