Someone spiked the Chinese.

SC Tiger

Okay - I was trying for a TBO-esque clever title and it didn't work out.  But anyway - a Chinese factory worker got impaled by ten spikes from a robotic arm:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6483365/Chinese-worker-cheats-death-skewered-TEN-massive-steel-spikes-factory-accident.html

Not for the squeamish:

Spoiler

7285722-6483365-image-a-34_1544535379805

Good news is he lived.  But I REALLY wanna know what the hell machine uses spikes like that.

7283788-6483365-image-a-6_1544531928157.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Okay - I was trying for a TBO-esque clever title and it didn't work out.  But anyway - a Chinese factory worker got impaled by ten spikes from a robotic arm:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6483365/Chinese-worker-cheats-death-skewered-TEN-massive-steel-spikes-factory-accident.html

Not for the squeamish:

Reveal hidden contents

7285722-6483365-image-a-34_1544535379805

Good news is he lived.  But I REALLY wanna know what the hell machine uses spikes like that.

7283788-6483365-image-a-6_1544531928157.

From the article: ".....The victim, known by his surname Zhou, works for a porcelain factory in Zhuzhou in southern China's Hunan Province...."

Since he worked in a Porcelain Factory, I would surmise that these spikes are for picking up a type of container or vessel, maybe into and out of a kiln.  The points would make contact and minimal disturbance of the finish of the vessel. 

I am curious how the spikes were detached from the arm while still in the victim.

Edited by janice6

That's what happens when you give a robot weapons.

I've seen robot arms inflict massive damage to itself and it's surroundings while people were learning how to program them.  They came very close to pulverizing people.  They were quickly caged and no one could be in there while they were energized.

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

That's what happens when you give a robot weapons.

I've seen robot arms inflict massive damage to itself and it's surroundings while people were learning how to program them.  They came very close to pulverizing people.  They were quickly caged and no one could be in there while they were energized.

To butcher a quote:  "“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our machines/ But in ourselves, that we are still learning.”  Operators have always been the reason that machines sometimes to harm.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

BTW - what tags posts with tags like "NSFE"?  I didn't tag this one but somehow it got that tag.  Is that an Admin?  Or because I put a spoiler in it?

To be clear - I have absolutely no problem with the tag, I just wondered where it came from. 

I added it. That pick was a bit graphic and I didn’t want to give folks a heads-up.

the thread prefix is the first option below Thread Title, on the new thread posting page. There is a drop down list with several prefix options, including NSFE. 

4 hours ago, janice6 said:

I am curious how the spikes were detached from the arm while still in the victim.

Since you can see some of the unfortunate guy's flesh is still on the spikes, and the spikes are threaded on the bottom, I'm assuming that they unscrewed them with a set of vice grips while they were still impaling the guy.  I have to wonder if they cleaned them before reusing them.  Since they are all together for a picture, I have to assume that there was a respite, albeit brief. 

Edited by minervadoe
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

Since you can see some of the unfortunate guy's flesh is still on the spikes, and the spikes are threaded on the bottom, I'm assuming that they unscrewed them with a set of vice grips while they were still impaling the guy.  I have to wonder if they cleaned them before reusing them.  Since they are all together for a picture, I have to assume that there was a respite, albeit brief. 

:eek:

11 hours ago, Eric said:

I added it. That pick was a bit graphic and I didn’t want to give folks a heads-up.

the thread prefix is the first option below Thread Title, on the new thread posting page. There is a drop down list with several prefix options, including NSFE. 

Cool.  Thanks for the info.  I would have done it but I didn't know how.  For the record - that's why I put the picture in a spoiler window.

As I said before I have absolutely no issue with it (the NSFE tag) being there - I was just curious about the mechanics of how it happened.  If it was automatic or manual.  That's all.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1