John Prine, Sam Stone

DrB

12 hours ago, KWalrad said:

John Prine is one of America's hidden gems. Such a talented songwriter and he's got a sharp wit.

It's nice to see he's still putting music out there after everything he's been through.

Yes he did have sharp wit..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember him from the Earl of Old Town along with Steve Goodman and Bonnie Koloc. Hard to believe that was over 50 years ago. Funny thing about Illegal Smile, Prine has said it had nothing to do with smoking dope. My favorite has to be the version of Angel from Montgomery with Bonnie Raitt.

Edited by GPM

7 minutes ago, GPM said:

Hard to believe that was over 50 years ago. Funny thing about Illegal Smile, Prine has said it had nothing to do with smoking dope

Back then, 50 years ago I would have said the same thing if he said it then...

2 minutes ago, DrB said:

Back then, 50 years ago I would have said the same thing if he said it then...

That's actually from the Great Days anthology. To quote "I have to confess, the song was not about smokin' dope. It was more about how, ever since I was a child, I've had this view of the world where I would find myself smiling at stuff nobody else was smiling at. But it was such a good anthem for dope smokers that I didn't want to stop every time I played it and make a disclaimer." Its a great 2 CD set that gives some insight into all the songs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GPM said:

That's actually from the Great Days anthology. To quote "I have to confess, the song was not about smokin' dope. It was more about how, ever since I was a child, I've had this view of the world where I would find myself smiling at stuff nobody else was smiling at. But it was such a good anthem for dope smokers that I didn't want to stop every time I played it and make a disclaimer." Its a great 2 CD set that gives some insight into all the songs. 

Cool, thanks for that info..

Dave.

I got to see John in Shryock Auditorium on the Campus of SIU-Carbondale in 1978 or 79.  He walked out on stage, by himself with his guitar, head down.  Not looking up, he spent a few minutes tuning and checking his instrument.  Then he looked up, kinda surprised to see us and said, "My name is John Prine and I'm gonna sing you a song." for the next 2+ hours he had the audience in the palm of his hand

• Thanks 1