Strange Day

Moshe

Here in this little burg they don't have enough uniforms to go around, so they have to share.  Especially, if you are a Freshman and a Corporal.  So, I have had the odd experience of teaching my 15 year old how to shave, and how to wear his uniform.  Once he was given to borrow from an upper classman because is a big guy for his age.  It barely fit, but it did fit.  Trying to explain to him how to blouse his boots.  Fortunately, he already knows the rules about hats.  They are taken off inside and worn outside.  So, unless they complain abut the 1700 shadow again, he should be fine.  He did his packaging up for the oversees troops last night, this afternoon, uniform inspection.  The end of the Shabbat, they want him in the parade.  I guess with his usual haircut and tall, but wiry physique, they want him in the Holiday Parade, and manning the donation booth.  Donations are what get them uniforms.  It looks like the old camo from Proper, so maybe I can find one his size, and do it that way.  Apparently, if he pulls this off, he is on his way up the ranks to Sergeant .  It is the only part of the day he is into.  Apparently, the retired Army Sergeant First Class, is tired to the "Who gives a crap nature" of some of his JROTC.  So, those that do, move along.

• Like 1

Well, it seems to have worked out well, for the young Corporal.  Much like his mother, it seems women still like a man wearing a uniform still today.  He is hoping the rumors of Alpha Troop (which he is in) will get to wear their uniforms 2 days a week.  He seems to like all the young girls attention.

That story brings back fond memories. I was also JROTC as a young lad.

We had a range at the school. I received a Marksman metal. I also remember taking some of my fathers handguns to school for show and tell. I'm guessing they don't allow that anymore.

It was an all boys school. If you signed up for typing you had to take the quarter mile walk to our sister school (all girls) for the class. I took typing.

Edited by Duluth
Typing error. I did't pay attention in typing class.
  • Like 1

No, unfortunately, those days are over.  I asked about it, but he told me the school doesn't allow it.  But, when we have time, and it isn't flooding, we go to the local range and shoot together.  He is rather fond of his 1911, but I have also gotten him an AR in the past that he can mess with.  And, of course the goofy M-17 everyone has gone to.  If the school won't all ow it, I will get it done for them,  :)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, tous said:

Best wishes to the lad, but don't tell him that wimmins prefer Navy white or Navy blue.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

Ironically, I wore green starting off my FLEO career wearing green that his mother was enamored with, he is wearing camo starting his eventual entry into the Armed Forces.  He is a lot like his Grandfather (Vietnam Vet).  They both hate paperwork, but liked manual labor.  So, when his job was loading the boxes this week for the care packages for oversees troops, he thought it was a lot more fun than sitting at a desk  I thought so, when I was young too.  The only desk I had was a mail drawer, and a bag full of crap in a galls bag to throw in whatever vehicle I was assigned. 

• Like 2

It was cold today.  JROTC marched in formation.  Though, I have a serious problem with their leadership.  Instructions were unclear, and my son was left behind in the field.  When has that been acceptable?  It never happened in the USPB.  The shift never left until the last man was located.  I think I need to mail this guy a white feather.  You never leave a man behind ever.  Fortunately, after a good 45 minutes we located him.  But, still, what lesson do you give a troop by leaving someone behind and saying, "Good luck, son."  Maybe he got some flak by getting hot when they were making Anti-Semitic jokes.  They probably thought it was odd, because he is blonde and blue eyed.  Little did they know his father's origins.