For thsat missed it, or just don't care ...

tous

NASA's InSight Mars probe successfully landed just where it was supposed after a six-month journey to Mars this afternoon.

Can you fire a bullet at a moving target 40 million miles  (64.4 million kilometers) away, have it decelerate from some 10,000 miles per hour (15,000 kilometers per hour) to less than 5 miles per hour (8 kilometers per hour) and not only hit the X-ring, but plop it gently down?

And then take a selfie and phone home?

For those not absorbed in meaningless, clever memes, this is gee whizz science at its best.

This is who humans are, what we can do.

Good job, lads and lasses.  :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

I made an error.

I assumed that they would launch InSight such that it rendezvoused with Mars at Mars' closest approach, thus the 64 million mile figure.

It appears that InSight traveled 300 million miles (482 million kilometers.)

:599c6454df514_embarass:

Edited by tous
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I worked a brief stint at Carnegie Mellon with grad students in the robotics department.  (my official title was something like, "Temporary Peon Chump".)  They were developing an autonomous rover.

Whenever I hear of these missions, I can't help wonder if any bits and pieces of  the technology I worked on is incorporated into them.

(I got to shake Buzz's hand once!)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I worked a brief stint at Carnegie Mellon with grad students in the robotics department.  (my official title was something like, "Temporary Peon Chump".)  They were developing an autonomous rover.

Whenever I hear of these missions, I can't help wonder if any bits and pieces of  the technology I worked on is incorporated into them.

(I got to shake Buzz's hand once!)

Every contribution no matter how small, is used to create the final result.  You may be pleasantly surprised to know the answer to your question.

To "contribute" is the greatest result of any individual's endeavor.  Take heart in that you may have a piece of the action!  You know, even if no one else does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I failed to mention that InSight isn't the first successful rover mission to Mars.

It's the eighth.

The Mars Climate Orbiter burned up in the Martian atmosphere because some numpty didn't convert English measurement to SI units.

I say, cover the danged planet with rovers!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Every contribution no matter how small, is used to create the final result.  You may be pleasantly surprised to know the answer to your question.

To "contribute" is the greatest result of any individual's endeavor.  Take heart in that you may have a piece of the action!  You know, even if no one else does.

image.png.326e963a94348d6716b6dcb4c9ab8ae5.png

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, tous said:

I failed to mention that InSight isn't the first successful rover mission to Mars.

It's the eighth.

The Mars Climate Orbiter burned up in the Martian atmosphere because some numpty didn't convert English measurement to SI units.

I say, cover the danged planet with rovers!

They need to have a rover racing series. Sorta like NASCAR.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, tous said:

NASA's InSight Mars probe successfully landed just where it was supposed after a six-month journey to Mars this afternoon.

Can you fire a bullet at a moving target 40 million miles  (64.4 million kilometers) away, have it decelerate from some 10,000 miles per hour (15,000 kilometers per hour) to less than 5 miles per hour (8 kilometers per hour) and not only hit the X-ring, but plop it gently down?

And then take a selfie and phone home?

For those not absorbed in meaningless, clever memes, this is gee whizz science at its best.

This is who humans are, what we can do.

Good job, lads and lasses.  :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

I made an error.

I assumed that they would launch InSight such that it rendezvoused with Mars at Mars' closest approach, thus the 64 million mile figure.

It appears that InSight traveled 300 million miles (482 million kilometers.)

:599c6454df514_embarass:

Did we use the "beach ball" landing approach with this one?  

• Like 1

Hell of an achievement.  I have to say though, does anyone think they need that room full of people with their computer stations and name tags.  Looked to me like most were checking their Snapbooks and Facegrams.  I suspect that is a symptom of why NASA is so expensive.  Elon claims he will beat them to Mars.