One example of why to carry with a round in the chamber

Cougar_ml

https://www.wyofile.com/10mm-glock-fully-functional-in-fatal-grizzly-attack/

Long story short, the guide is dead and the guy with him mauled by a grizzly and cub when they were quartering an elk.  Bears charged them with no warning.  The guide used his bear spray before he died, but not until after he was already injured.  The guide's glock 10mm was with his pack nearby.  The guy with him managed to get the glock before being mauled, but there was no round chambered and in the stress of the moment was unable to figure out how to make it work.  

Guide usually carried in a chest holster, but removed it and set it with the pack before butchering the elk.

So multiple things when wrong, one guy dead the other wounded, but who knows, it might have turned out differently if the gun had a round in the chamber and the guide still had it on him.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

An all too common problem when "none in the chamber" is the practice.

Sadly just one more thing Mr. Murphy can add to his already overly well packed tool box.

Prayers to the guide's family and for the injured. 

Must have been like something out of a nightmare or a horror movie. No time to be trying to figure out how to make firearm fire.

Deepest condolences, 

Gray_Rider

Old Secessh

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gray_Rider said:

An all too common problem when "none in the chamber" is the practice.

Sadly just one more thing Mr. Murphy can add to his already overly well packed tool box.

Prayers to the guide's family and for the injured. 

Must have been like something out of a nightmare or a horror movie. No time to be trying to figure out how to make firearm fire.

Deepest condolences, 

Gray_Rider

Old Secessh

Remember the video of the jewelry store owner in a shootout with bad guys and he couldn't seem to get a full slide pull before they shot him dead.

Either a trigger pull will shoot your gun, or the other guys trigger pull will shoot you. 

Even the cop filling his car with gas was able to draw and shoot his attackers in the gas station while the BG already had a gun on him.

Never think time  is on your side.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, janice6 said:

Remember the video of the jewelry store owner in a shootout with bad guys and he couldn't seem to get a full slide pull before they shot him dead.

Either a trigger pull will shoot your gun, or the other guys trigger pull will shoot you. 

Even the cop filling his car with gas was able to draw and shoot his attackers in the gas station while the BG already had a gun on him.

Never think time  is on your side.

Yes, racking the slide is pure hollywierd when you are carrying a pistol.

• Thanks 1

The guide let complacency and a "it hasn't happened yet" attitude get himself and his customer mauled. If you're gonna be where bears are, be vigilant. If you're going to do something that gets their attention (fire a gun), and makes them hungry (field dress an elk), you damn sure need to be ready to deal with bears. I've heard that bears will run toward a gunshot during hunting season, because it's a sign of an easy meal. Once they get close, they can be real quiet and sneaky for such a big critter.

No brown bears near me, but I've hiked all over out west where they roam. They're not to be taken lightly, ever. When you do, stuff like this happens. In most cases, fine motor skills diminish as stress increases. I know I wouldn't be able to rack a slide if a bear charged me. Probably the only muscle control I would have is loosening my sphincter.

• Thanks 1

If I go into bear territory, I am going heavy.  However, I keep my rifles and shotguns on hot standby, meaning I do not chamber a round until it is about to be a problem of whatever sort.  There have been many USBP deaths with a hot rifle or shotgun, that it simply became policy for long arms.  Handguns were chambered and holstered.   There have been local tragedies that way lately in the area among hunters.  I always relied on my handgun while limping to the deer stand.  Once I am in position I load one in the chamber and put the rifle on safe.  I almost lost a large doe doing that once.  A beautiful broadside, and click.  I took off the safety and she turned at a 45 degree angle.  She eventually gave me a good broadside and I dropped her with the 7mm mag I used to have.  One shot one kill.  The way I like it.