Old Pictures

Eric

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, gwalchmai said:

eBituminous coal was used to heat the buildings in Europe's cities, resulting in a black smog everywhere.

Long ago, Johnny Carson had Tony Randall on as a guest.  Johnny mentioned, "the good old days", while referencing Randall's show business career.  Randall went into a tirade about, "The good old days"! 

He said "There were NO good old days!".  "The cities (NYC in particular) were dirty and filthy!  There was Horse manure in the streets, the stench was overwhelming.  The streets were dirt in many instances, and so filthy that women's skirts were Black and filthy from dragging in the crap and dirt.  Crossing the streets was nauseating.  Not to mention that everything was Black and covered in soot, from the Coal used to heat every building, and the Coal delivery dust in the air also.  It was impossible to be clean when even the air was dirty all the time."

He said there was essentially no medical help back then.  If you had Heart problems of any sort, even what is considered minor now, you would probably die from it at an early age.  Sickness and disease was a constant threat since immunizations and vaccines were not available.  If you caught anything you had to be very careful since you could die from almost anything, disease, infections from the dirty environment, epidemics of all kinds.

He concluded by saying that there was no "good old days".  He claimed that the only good old days are the here and now!".  He said that everybody should cherish what they have and thank God that those days are over and something better is in their place now.

It was a very sobering experience listening to him tell about, "The good old days".

Edited by janice6
  • Like 8

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Long ago, Johnny Carson had Tony Randall on as a guest.  Johnny mentioned, "the good old days", while referencing Randall's show business career.  Randall went into a tirade about, "The good old days"! 

He said "There were NO good old days!".  "The cities (NYC in particular) were dirty and filthy!  There was Horse manure in the streets, the stench was overwhelming.  The streets were dirt in many instances, and so filthy that women's skirts were Black and filthy from dragging in the crap and dirt.  Crossing the streets was nauseating.  Not to mention that everything was Black and covered in soot, from the Coal used to heat every building, and the Coal delivery dust in the air also.  It was impossible to be clean when even the air was dirty all the time."

He said their was essentially no medical help back then.  If you had Heart problems of any sort, even what is considered minor now, you would probably die from it at an early age.  Sickness and disease was a constant threat since immunizations and vaccines were not available.  If you caught anything you had to be very careful since you could die from almost anything, disease, infections from the dirty environment, epidemics of all kinds.

He concluded by saying that there was no "good old days".  He claimed that the only good old days are the here and now!".  He said that everybody should cherish what they have and thank God that those days are over and something better is in their place now.

It was a very sobering experience listening to him tell about, "The good old days".

Died at the age of nine, from Polio.

1534DE50-DF6D-4091-9AC7-E2D0E22AC28E.thumb.jpeg.18f88b6df7c92e22eff53fd6947e3e67.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Those guys don't look like cops.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were in a band or something.

Yeah, just Don't Stand So Close To Me. On Any Other Day it wouldn't bother me, but I'm on a Secret Journey and you are blowing Every Breath You Take on the back of my neck, like Spirits In The Material World. If you force me to introduce you to The King Of Pain, you will be Driven To Tears and I will be Walking In Your Footsteps, contemplating Murder By Numbers. Ok, I'm bored with this. You get the gist of it though. I like The Police. :greensupergrin:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, Al Czervik said:

Can you tell us what is going on in each of these photos?

The bottom photo appears to be "iron lungs".  As a kid I can remember being terrified of the photos of children laying in those.  Victims of polio. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2