Private firefighters cause a stir, but not private police forces

fortyofforty

The media will now make a big deal about Kim Kardashian--or her insurance company--hiring private firefighters to battle the blaze and save her $50 million California mansion.  Apparently, this exposes the disparity of how the superrich have advantages over the rest of us unwashed mass of humanity.  Well, the media never had a problem with the superrich hiring armed bodyguards, even those who demanded the unwashed masses be disarmed.  This little factoid never caused them the briefest of pause, wondering about "fairness" or "equality" or "equity" or it "expos[ing] the fault lines of America".  Nope, the superrich are certainly entitled to have armies of armed guards surrounding them 24/7/365.  The rest of us are expected to rely on the government to protect us; they're just a phone call away.  I have no problem with people hiring private guards, or private firefighters.  Hell, I wish I had enough money to live that way.  I don't.  I am my own bodyguard.  I have a bunch of fire extinguishers around the abode, as well.

Kim Kardashian's private firefighters expose the fault lines of America

Edited by fortyofforty
  • Like 2

And if you're a billionaire, and you've planned ahead, you can have a team flown in ready to spring into action if necessary.  KK is, I believe, in that category of wealth (or at least her family is).  She could afford to have a reservoir installed to have plenty of water, too, just in case.  My point, of course, is about media hypocrisy, but you might have missed it.

• Like 1

It’s not the private firefighters that cause the problem

its the envy of the “masses” for the wealthy to hire them that is the problem. I don’t care, if they have the means to do it, I would too.

Its not the money, but “the love of money” that is the sin. You can commit that one without a dime in your pocket

identity politics goes both ways, like most things

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1

Also, the problem is more with the private police.  People work for who pays their salary, and if it is not the public, then it's a foregone conclusion that they work for their employer and ONLY their best interests, not for anyone else.

I see private police forces as a greater threat to the public, considering they are only benefitting one person and his/her family at everyone else's expense.  Private police forces have the potential to be more like Mob enforcers, than what the public perception of "Police" commonly is.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Also, the problem is more with the private police.  People work for who pays their salary, and if it is not the public, then it's a foregone conclusion that they work for their employer and ONLY their best interests, not for anyone else.

I see private police forces as a greater threat to the public, considering they are only benefitting one person and his/her family at everyone else's expense.  Private police forces have the potential to be more like Mob enforcers, than what the public perception of "Police" commonly is.

I don’t think they are, or should be, considered as police forces if they are private.

guards, security personnel, bodyguards, private security, etc

but they are not a “police force” to me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

I don’t think they are, or should be, considered as police forces if they are private.

guards, security personnel, bodyguards, private security, etc

but they are not a “police force” to me

People can call them "Private Police Forces", but they are not "Police". They are security guards who don't have any extra powers or duties than any other non-police officers. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 1:27 PM, fortyofforty said:

The media will now make a big deal about Kim Kardashian--or her insurance company--hiring private firefighters to battle the blaze and save her $50 million California mansion.  Apparently, this exposes the disparity of how the superrich have advantages over the rest of us unwashed mass of humanity.  Well, the media never had a problem with the superrich hiring armed bodyguards, even those who demanded the unwashed masses be disarmed.  This little factoid never caused them the briefest of pause, wondering about "fairness" or "equality" or "equity" or it "expos[ing] the fault lines of America".  Nope, the superrich are certainly entitled to have armies of armed guards surrounding them 24/7/365.  The rest of us are expected to rely on the government to protect us; they're just a phone call away.  I have no problem with people hiring private guards, or private firefighters.  Hell, I wish I had enough money to live that way.  I don't.  I am my own bodyguard.  I have a bunch of fire extinguishers around the abode, as well.

Kim Kardashian's private firefighters expose the fault lines of America

To me that's smart business for the insurance company.  I'm sure my insurance would do it too if it made financial sense.  Though in truth I've never heard of a "private firefighting company."

On 11/17/2018 at 4:36 PM, Silentpoet said:

I guess that’s a good way to spend her butt sex money.  I don’t have a problem with how she spends her money as long as she’s not advocating against my interests.  But I do question a society where you get famous because you took it up the butt on video.

I thought it had more to do with the size of her butt than what she put in it......