Australian director loses life savings in Woolsey fire - fireproof safe turned to dust (?)

SC Tiger

https://www.foxnews.com/us/woolsey-fire-destroys-australian-directors-home-burns-savings-kept-in-fire-proof-safe

One of the comments got me thinking of something though........If she had a fireproof safe, how did it get burned up?  Is there a time limit on how long a fireproof safe can stay fireproof?  

I don't know if the "fireproof safe" was where they kept the cash that was destroyed or if there were two safes, but that sounds strange to me.

At least in one popular design of a fire proof safe, they fill the walls of the safe with Gypsum and then add water.  As long as the water boils, the safe will protect the contents.  When the water boils away, the contents burn.

The answer to your question is YES!  Fireproof safes have a time limit depending on how much water they hold and how long it takes to boil away.

Just now, janice6 said:

At least in one popular design of a fire proof safe, they fill the walls of the safe with Gypsum and then add water.  As long as the water boils, the safe will protect the contents.  When the water boils away, the contents burn.

The answer to your question is YES!  Fireproof safes have a time limit depending on how much water they hold and how long it takes to boil away.

I wonder if, after the fire, you can "renew" the safe by adding more water?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I wonder if, after the fire, you can "renew" the safe by adding more water?

no, You should get a new safe. If your safe has "survived" a fire, it should be scrapped, just like a baby car seat should be scrapped after a crash. The integrity of the safe will have been compromised.

Insurance should replace the safe like any item lost to the fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1