Cast/carbon afficionados

Al Czervik

I have been spiffing up my cast/carbon collection over the past few days.  I am pretty anal about keeping them, as my father used to say, "slicker than greased owl ****."

But, I had a couple of pans, one a deBuyer, the other a Matfer, that were flaking on one side.  So, I stripped them, which required heat, oven cleaner, and a drill/brush on the side that wasn't flaking.  That stuff was bonded.  Any of you cast/carbon aficionados ever had this happen?

Yes. I just did the bottom of the first cast iron skillet I ever bought. Used a wire wheel in a drill press. 43 year old baked on carbon takes effort. 

Another trick is put them in the oven and run the self clean cycle. 

I haven’t had my Matfer pans long enough to have issues yet but I’ve had to strip several cast iron pans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

Yes. I just did the bottom of the first cast iron skillet I ever bought. Used a wire wheel in a drill press. 43 year old baked on carbon takes effort. 

Another trick is put them in the oven and run the self clean cycle. 

I haven’t had my Matfer pans long enough to have issues yet but I’ve had to strip several cast iron pans. 

That was my next move.  I would have tossed it in the pizza oven, but it has been raining like a friggin monsoon.  At 1000 degrees, everything just goes away.

I've just never had the weird curling/flaking happen, while the rest of the pan was hard as a diamond.