Holiday bonus?

PNWguy

Are you getting one this year?

My prior employer, USAA, gave us an extra paycheck just before Christmas, which was pretty significant when making close to 6 figures.  We also got a shareholders bonus every March.  The last one was 18.4% of net pay.  Also very significant.  Buy a new car significant.

My current company gives what they call an EPD (Extra Pay Day) once or twice a year.  But it's really nowhere close to being an extra paycheck.  It's around 40 hours of wages and after taxes, it's a few hundred bucks.  

It's a nice gesture.  We haven't gotten any this year.  But they will issue it this year the first part of December and call it the Christmas bonus.  I'm using mine to buy a new handgun.

What kind of bonuses do you guys/gals get?

I think bonuses and such are kind of a dying thing in the new age of Corporatism.  

47 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

My holiday bonus was generally a handshake and a “ Merry Christmas, you can show up at work the 26th. “

:biggrin:

You got Christmas off??  Lucky!

I actually get Christmas off this year, but not Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

Mrs. C is an executive at a big company, so everything is tied to company performance, which usually nets some nice bread, but that happens in the early fall.

Al is taking a beating.  WTI is down for the year, fortunately NG is up.  I work for myself, so the Viking 72 may have to wait. ?

A while back, was my 10-year anniversary.

They mailed me a tiny catalog with a "CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  THANK YOU!!!!! YOU, CHERISHED EMPLOYEE, YOU!!!!" note.

So...  I could choose from salad-tongs, a bbq spatula, a pewter bud-vase, a keychain........

I ignored reapeated requests and reminders to make a choice.

They eventually dropped it.  I think I really cheesed-off some people, but I also think I made my point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Al Czervik said:

Mrs. C is an executive at a big company, so everything is tied to company performance, which usually nets some nice bread, but that happens in the early fall.

Al is taking a beating.  WTI is down for the year, fortunately NG is up.  I work for myself, so the Viking 72 may have to wait. ?

Why would you sit on WTI? I enjoyed the 60% UGAZ ride, and then the DGAZ recovery.

I pay out my own dividends and only what I need for the month plus 1 to 2 grand for my hobbies. Any day trading income goes straight into my long-term broker account (not invested these days since I expect a correction between now and spring / summer 2019).

So no dedicated bonuses for me. That being said I do provide them for staff and even freelancers, depending on the profit of the year. Usually in form of new iPhones, vacations and / or cash payments.

I may buy a new firearm for Christmas if I can come up with something nice. Maybe I'll finally get that .32 ACP Seecamp. Love pocket guns.

6 minutes ago, Brown Hawk said:

It’s what your boss gets for a monetary Christmas present after you’ve worked your ass off to earn it for him. 

Hawk 

I know my company is not very good at communicating value to their manufacturing workers.  

They spent a million dollars renovating the locker rooms for them, then took away all the chairs on the manufacturing floor saying sitting was for lazy people and chairs detract from productivity.  Workman's comp claims are skyrocketing now due to older workers standing on concrete for 9 hours at a time.

I don't get the disconnect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

One year they sent us a pot-holder with the company logo on it.

One!

So, you couldn't even really pick up a casserole, or anything.  Denied!

We thought we might get the second one, the next year, but there was no love.

One year, my division of our corporation decided to be magnanimous during the Christmas season, and raffled off ONE Turkey in a plant of 2,000 employees.  The rest of the years, it was "Best Wishes".  We were completely underwhelmed.

It depends upon how our business year went. Personally, I was busy all year long doing charters, we did not get a bonus last year, I expect to get one this year. The last one we got was $400 + a $200 into the 401K, plus our performance bonus, which is about a 2 week pay.

Expecting around 750 bucks this year. Oh, and they give us a coupon for a ham or turkey, which I usually give to the most convenient MILF nurse.

edit- If I want a bonus or a raise, I'll pick up an extra shift. Hell, this company offers tuition reimbursement, and I'm buying my own Master's Degree. The reimbursement comes with the caveat that you'll give them a couple years after their last payment. So, you want me to stay here for HALF of what I can make elsewhere? ummmmmmNO.

Edited by tadbart
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, PNWguy said:

I think bonuses and such are kind of a dying thing in the new age of Corporatism.  

It all depends on what level you are and by what company you are employed.  After a certain point at many big companies, your salary is far eclipsed by the bonus structure.

• Like 1

The Air Force gave us a few extra days off, no leave required.  You could take it at Christmas or New Years.  Married guys always took Christmas, single guys New Years.

While on remote tour I'd work both for someone else and get paid $100.  Really good money back it the day.

Once I got married, that all changed.

Has a business owner (photographer) , I gave bonuses to anyone working the main holiday parties, normal crew of 4.  Usually $200 each.

Edited by JimBianchi

We typically get a mid-year and an end of year bonus. This year, both have been less than in years prior, but as always, any extra is greatly appreciated.

The end of year is paid out the last Friday before Thanksgiving so that folks can take advantage of the holiday sales and/or book Christmas travel before the rates go up. It's a nice gesture on the company's part. It beats other places I've been where a thumbs-up and "See you tomorrow bright and early!" were the norm.

Bonuses aren't expected, but I am extremely grateful for them.

Edited by KWalrad

13 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

One year they sent us a pot-holder with the company logo on it.

One!

So, you couldn't even really pick up a casserole, or anything.  Denied!

We thought we might get the second one, the next year, but there was no love.

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation GIF

Edited by jk_226