100 years of Polish Independence

pipedreams

Growing up in Detroit some years back, the Poles were somehow the butt of every joke.  Every "three guys walk into a bar..." style joke had the "Polack" as the imbecile.

I guess I didn't take it too seriously as I ended up marrying and having children with a gal who's part Polish.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

Growing up in Detroit some years back, the Poles were somehow the butt of every joke.  Every "three guys walk into a bar..." style joke had the "Polack" as the imbecile.

I guess I didn't take it too seriously as I ended up marrying and having children with a gal who's part Polish.

Same thing in Pittsburgh. tom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, windowasher said:

Hey Poland, the Nazis and Soviets may argue a little about that 100 year claim

The Poles were the ones who got the German Ultra machine to the Brits, which was a major influence in defeating the Nazis.  And there was a Polish government in exile.  

And Poland was a nation in the eastern block, although under the Soviet thumb.  

So they are correct since it was reconstitutes as a nation in 1918, after the kingdom of Poland being devided between Russia and Prussia for a hundred years.  

Hawk 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

I wish them many more!

Seems the Eastern Europeans are the smart folks when it comes to invading armies now days.

Well, they do have a lot of recent experience of being invaded by people who treat them badly.  Western Europe not so much.

Hawk