Peak oil

Al Czervik

First I saw a reprint of a full page newspaper article from around the 1920's, with the revelation that Oil was running out, and there would be no more after Pennsylvania emptied out!  I believe it was a Quaker State oil company claim.

Then in the first gas crisis, I was told that the oil was running out and the ME had all there was left, meanwhile the civilized world was at their mercy.

Then I was told that since conservation had prolonged our petroleum demise, we again must cow tow to the Arabs, if we wanted oil.

Then Shale Oil recovery was marketable, and the USA nd Canada had the ability to dominate the market while turning into energy exporters.

Recently, I have been told that Global Warming will cause the demise of civilization.

I was told that businesses must buy "Carbon Credits" and give money to "someone" in order to curb Global Warming.

I was warned that some years ago, the seas would rise enough to inundate Florida and many coastal regions due to the Global Warming melting sea ice.

I was told that this was an impending catastrophe of biblical proportions, unless we all (civilization) lowered our standard of living and gave up our life style.

I was told that the Global Warming was unprecedented and even Canada was losing their Permafrost for the first time in recorded history.

This dire prediction of unprecedented Global Warming was put forth in spite of the remains of Tropical plants in frigid areas like Canada and even Alaska.

In school I was taught that an Ice Sheet covered the Northern part of the Americas and in NYC it was 1000 feet thick.

Science told me that the rebound of the Earth's crust in NYC was rising faster than the predicted rise in sea level due to "Global Warming".

After the Ice Age(s) the cycle of the Earth warming is continuing as it is claimed to have done some times before.

That the Earth is still warming and a normal state of the environment between each of the Ice ages, therefore the increasing warmth is the consequence of natural Global adjustments.

I was also told in grade school that the Earth could not produce enough food to feed The Billions of people that would live around the year 2000.  

That by the year 2000, we would all be starving to death and the end of life as we know it was coming.

Now it's 2018 and the production of food for the peoples of the Earth is still increasing.  Efficiency in food production has resulted in a few countries exporting quantities of excess food raised in a fraction of the available land for cultivation.

Experts told me this, each and every time.  They assured me that since they were experts, they knew the future, and it was grim.

As soon as one catastrophe was predicted and people were accustomed to it's threats, another catastrophe came along, and now we would all perish from a different reason than the previous one.

I found out one thing for certain during my lifetime.  Experts are always wrong!

Nobody can predict the future.

Man is the most egotistical being in all creation, believing "it's all about me"!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Silentpoet said:

Is this related to 55k gold prices as a certain member of the old site talked about.

Nah,  as everyone knows, oil has taken a beating.  I'll be real happy if it gets back to near three digits in the near future.

Edited by Al Czervik