So it seems the Mayor of Pittsburgh wants to

ARP

Draft and enact firearms legislation for the city. Determined he is going to suspend and infringe on the constitutional rights of the residents and visitors of "his" city. Wonder if the ACLU will come down hard on him? Kinda doubt it, they seem to be a fringe "ailment" these days.

Why is the population of Allegheny county declining, while Butler county's (~15 miles from Pittsburgh) population is booming?

Oh, yeah, that pesky county line.

It has a long, long history of +democrat and +union voting, so there's really no use in going there.

Butler county has established a reputation for extreme squashing of Al-co's voting values.  (Newer redistricting has attempted to negate that.)

Pennsylvania has state preemption, which prevents the city from enacting more restrictive gun legislation than the state laws.  So the mayor can’t do what he is saying.  

A caveat to that is some judge in a lawsuit, but the preemption has been upheld so far as I can find.  

Hawk 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ARP said:

Draft and enact firearms legislation for the city. Determined he is going to suspend and infringe on the constitutional rights of the residents and visitors of "his" city. Wonder if the ACLU will come down hard on him? Kinda doubt it, they seem to be a fringe "ailment" these days.

The ACLU has ties to the Communist Party, their goal is to disrupt and destroy Capitalism.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ARP said:

Sounds to me as though he is taking on the State Preemption Laws challenging their legality.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/pittsburgh-post-gazette/20181112/281479277439837

My guess his challenge will end up in the PA Supreme Court where it will be upheld.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve4102 said:

Sounds to me as though he is taking on the State Preemption Laws challenging their legality.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/pittsburgh-post-gazette/20181112/281479277439837

My guess his challenge will end up in the PA Supreme Court where it will be upheld.

So far PA courts have struck down every challenge to preemption, and there have been several.  

The only one struck down was a law that would have made cities and persons who challenged and lost pay the legal fees involved.  And that was struck down on the grounds the the law addressed two subjects, which is not allowed in PA, to prevent last minute amendments having nothing to do with the body of the law being written.  

Hawk 

14 minutes ago, Brown Hawk said:

So far PA courts have struck down every challenge to preemption, and there have been several.  

The only one struck down was a law that would have made cities and persons who challenged and lost pay the legal fees involved.  And that was struck down on the grounds the the law addressed two subjects, which is not allowed in PA, to prevent last minute amendments having nothing to do with the body of the law being written.  

Hawk 

Has the State legislation body and the governor changed since then?

11 minutes ago, steve4102 said:

Has the State legislation body and the governor changed since then?

Don’t know.  Not sure I care as legislators tend to NOT give up their power once they have it.  And to repeal a law is usually a whole lot harder than making it in the first place.  

Hawk 

1 hour ago, geofri said:

PA really was a great happy medium state to grow up in, but seeing this stuff reassures me of my decision not to move back to the pgh area. 

It is just the city, why anyone would move to Allegheny County is beyond me. Taxes alone is a deal crusher. Far better to live in a fringe counties like Butler, Beaver, Lawrence, Westmoreland. All the benefits of low taxes with the activity of PGH a short drive away.

1 hour ago, ARP said:

It is just the city, why anyone would move to Allegheny County is beyond me. Taxes alone is a deal crusher. Far better to live in a fringe counties like Butler, Beaver, Lawrence, Westmoreland. All the benefits of low taxes with the activity of PGH a short drive away.

Agreed. Butler county resident for 10+ years.