Computer Help Please

M&P15T

For my work, I need to install a 4Gb graphics card. I have a standard desk-top that I can easily open and screw around with.

Is this something that is easy to do? Could ya'll give me some install pointers and stuff if I order one of these graphics cards?

Please?

The problem I'm trying to overcome, is that when I do a high-quality rendering like below, it's takes about 35-45 minutes, and this is killing my productivity. This is a big part of how I help my clients, and it just takes too damn long. I read on the Googles that I need a 2Gb graphics card, and just figure that if I get a 4gb, it will really fix what ails me.mustang.thumb.jpg.02a1121c8207e4452006e8b5bbefc7df.jpg

Edited by M&P15T

It all depends on your motherboard.  Yes, it is crazy easy to install a new video card.  If you don't have a computer that will handle it, you won't see a big difference.  My opinion: If this is for a business, buy a new computer and write it off.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

For my work, I need to install a 4Gb graphics card. I have a standard desk-top that I can easily open and screw around with.

Is this something that is easy to do? Could ya'll give me some install pointers and stuff if I order one of these graphics cards?

Please?

The problem I'm trying to overcome, is that when I do a high-quality rendering like below, it's takes about 35-45 minutes, and this is killing my productivity. This is a big part of how I help my clients, and it just takes too damn long. I read on the Googles that I need a 2Gb graphics card, and just figure that if I get a 4gb, it will really fix what ails me.mustang.thumb.jpg.02a1121c8207e4452006e8b5bbefc7df.jpg

Advice: contact tech support of the software you're using and get their recommendation for a GFX card. Your CPU and RAM look good. Only other thing that may help is a fast SSD, but again, check with the software developer.

ETA: SSD, SDD, whatever it takes...

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Like 1

Which form factor is your Lenovo ThinkCentre M92? They made a really tiny one (Small Form Factor, not much bigger than a paperback book) which may have limited expansion slots. Also realize that you're dealing with 6-year-old technology. If the platform will support the installation of a faster graphics card, the other thing that could help boost performance is a solid state drive (SSD) instead of the original hard disk drive.  Just my 2¢ worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Advice: contact tech support of the software you're using and get their recommendation for a GFX card. Your CPU and RAM look good. Only other thing that may help is a fast SDD, but again, check with the software developer.

Good advice.  It looks like your computer can handle it.  The cards use a PCI express slot and need it's own power cable.  calling tech support will help prevent you installing the thing and realizing you need a new power supply.

Your processor is middle of the pack as far as capability, but it'll do.

Keep in mind that contemporary graphics cards are optimized for full-motion rendering for video games and not static rendering.

Also keep in mind that these devices run hot, really hot, so make sure it has good cooling and a lot of air space around it.

Also, graphics cards suck a lot of power, so make sure that your power supply is up to it.

What engine, such as DirectX or Unity  does your graphics program use?

Graphics processors are engineered to use the most common, again, for full-motion video games.

I suggest that you go a website or forum devoted to the software you use or better yet, contact customer support and ask them what they think.

I like NVidia products.

Don't spend too much.  You should be able to get what you want for under $200.00.

Good luck.

Edited by tous
  • Like 1

The ThinkCentre M92 seemes to be pretty old. Did you get it some 6 years ago? 16 GB of RAM is also on the weak side. I have 32 GB in my 10 year old laptops.

Rendering takes 45 minutes? I'd say you will need a serious hardware upgrade, in form of a proper powerhouse computer and not some average office cubical thingy.

I'd look into a Xeon / i9, 64 GB, dedicated 4 GB graphic card like a Nvidia Quadro, 2 x 1 TB SSD drives.

Nice kitchen layout btw.

Edited by crockett
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, crockett said:

The ThinkCentre M92 seemes to be pretty old. Did you get it some 6 years ago? 16 GB of RAM is also on the weak side. I have 32 GB in my 10 year old laptops.

Rendering takes 45 minutes? I'd say you will need a serious hardware upgrade, in form of a proper powerhouse computer and not some average office cubical thingy.

I'd look into a Xeon / i9, 64 GB, dedicated 4 GB graphic card like a Nvidia Quadro, 2 x 1 TB SSD drives.

Nice kitchen layout btw.

Yeah, if you need real powerful video you need to go to a workstation.  You can handle maybe a nVidia GTX1070 but that will still get hot and probably take more power than the current PS can handle.  Also, gen 3 i7 is not very exciting.  Also, memory is not the key factor in rendering speed, go to the GPU website and check the rendering performance specs.

What you have uses an old HD graphics 4000.  You could probably do just fine with a laptop with a GTX1070 if there is a benefit to being portable.  Although that class of laptop is large and has a big power supply.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-Intel-HD-4000-Mobile-125-GHz/3609vsm7653

2 hours ago, M&P15T said:

Please?

What software do you use for the rendering?

3 hours ago, M&P15T said:

Please?

How old is the computer?

You should be able to upgrade without issue, but it might make more sense to replace the whole farking thing.  That way everything works together the way it should.  Sometimes if you take guy X's computer and put guy Y's upgrades on it, you can have problems.

If you're using this thing for work it's not really worth the risk IMO. 

But then again, if the card isn't too expensive you could give it a try I suppose.

Edited by SC Tiger

1 hour ago, toofman said:

Good advice.  It looks like your computer can handle it.  The cards use a PCI express slot and need it's own power cable.  calling tech support will help prevent you installing the thing and realizing you need a new power supply.

What I think you could do also is have two HDs - a SSD for the "working" files (OS and software) and then a normal drive for data storage.  

I suggest this because SSDs are pretty damn expensive per GB compared to conventional HDD.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

What I think you could do also is have two HDs - a SSD for the "working" files (OS and software) and then a normal drive for data storage.  

I suggest this because SSDs are pretty damn expensive per GB compared to conventional HDD.

Not worth it anymore SSDs are cheap - $115 for a good 500Gig.  Unless you are storing a ton of data I would go all SSD.

1 hour ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Also, it doubles the chances of catastrophic data loss. Not against it per sei, but use with caution. Backup that data regularly!

An ongoing incremental backup is needed either way. Well knowing that most people don't have any automated backup solutions in place. It's so easy to place a NAS right next to the router, equipped with proper backup software. My Synology 1515+ 6 bay is shuffling inside a safe now for 5 years without one single issue. Commercial grade server HDDs run for over 10 years 24/7 before they develop any dead sectors. 6 bay allow for a fast and safe raid 0+1

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RenoF250 said:

Not worth it anymore SSDs are cheap - $115 for a good 500Gig.  Unless you are storing a ton of data I would go all SSD.

Dang.  They have come down in price.  Are the ones for laptops about the same?

14 hours ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Also, it doubles the chances of catastrophic data loss. Not against it per sei, but use with caution. Backup that data regularly!

I would have some sort of on-site backup system if I were the OP.

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

We've found an Amazon hook-up for the 4Gb graphics card and installation for about $160-$180. I think that's the best way to go.

What GPU does it have?  It may not do you much good at all.  The amount of memory does not mean that much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

That is for an M.2 which is what is used in laptops.  2.5" is going away, they are putting some big server drives in 2.5" but even those are moving to new form factors.

2 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

And dropping like a stone, the same drive i mentioned is now $100:

https://slickdeals.net/f/12249049-samsung-970-evo-500-gb-nvme-internal-ssd-m-2-2280-mz-v7e500bw-black-99-tax-free-shipping?src=frontpage

6 minutes ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

[Sigh]

I've seen IBM Power Systems HDD's die after 6 months

AFAIK they are mainly made by Seagate. Commercial grade / Enterprise class my ass. Failure rate up to 29%.

HDD-Slide1-Large.jpg

IBM sold out on all levels when they gave away the ThinkPad brand to China, and most other products as well. WD Ultrastar DC SS300 won't die in 6 months, comes with 5 years of warranty as well.

• Like 1

crockett, I gave up buying Seagate drives, both server and work-station grade, years ago.

It seemed I always had ten or so in the process of being returned for warranty replaced by so-called refurnished units.

I have had much, much better service from Western Digital and Hitachi; almost flawless performance.

I agree that the IBM ThinkPad was a quality product until it went to Lenova, and then it became a budget Walmart product.

Sad to see,

I have been a DELL customer, for server and consumer-grade products, for more than 30 years and probably will be until I die.

They have never failed to satisfy and are worth what I pay for them.

• Like 2