Being laid off is really working out for me!

JTMac

Ever since corporate politics has turned my job at Big Tech Company into a nightmare, I've been thinking about how I needed to do something else.  I've been waiting on some other things in life to come to a close before taking such a step, but I've been needing a change.  Then out of the blue last week, my boss calls me up and starts telling me how he hates to deliver bad news...

He proceeded to tell me some really good news: I have a month of employment in which I'm expected to look for other jobs rather than show up for work.  Then if I don't find something else in the company, I get paid out three months salary, three months of COBRA payments, and my month of banked PTO.   I'm employable enough to not sweat a job hunt if I have money in the bank, which I already do.  So they're just throwing money and time off at me for me to do what I was already about to do.  I am overjoyed.  I'd feel worse if it were my performance that did me in, but it was apparently random and my bosses aren't happy about losing me.

I know that not everyone is lucky enough to be able to get work tomorrow if they need it.  I have lived the horror of the hunt as the savings runs out, and I am so, so thankful to God that I am no longer in that position.  This is a dream come true. Part of me wants to find work ASAP and pocket that cash.  Another part wants to just take the time off for personal projects or going back to school for a bit rather than juggle with doing that after work.  I'm probably going right back to work. 

• Like 2

On a slightly related note...  if anybody wants a tech guy who has been responsible for developing/maintaining highly available services in the data services/mobile telephony business (favorite tools being Linux and Python) and lead teams to do the same, let me know. 

I think you’re playing it right.

Years ago, when I got laid off from my last job in radio and TV, it was impossible for me to find anything locally, and I didn’t want to relocate.  So, I went back to school, finished undergrad, went to law school and, after a couple or three jobs in the private sector, went to work for a governmental entity.

It was the best thing that ever happened to me.  At 69, I’m still working, getting my Social Security, and can retire at any time.  And when I retire, I’ll still be a lawyer, so I’m gearing up to do simple wills, medical powers of attorney, etc.  Of course that will be on a very part time basis.  None of this would have happened if I hadn’t been laid off.

Push on, brother.  God has a lot of fun in store for you.  Enjoy the journey.

• Like 2

Maybe you will really luck out and find a job that starts in a month or so.  Your lucky to work for a company that has such a nice layoff policy.  My company used to be very good, long severance, paid for retraining, etc.  Now they just call and tell you to piss off.