Jump to content

Material things your wife wont let you have....


james bay area
 Share

Recommended Posts

Today I told my wife i was going to buy myself a rifle for Christmas (AR/300aac) one which my OCD mind has been day dreaming about for a while...

She straight up said no way, which really confused me/made me mad, considering we are gun people and I can afford a new toy.. she gave a few reasons, i didn't argue because i didn't feel the need to press the issue that second. we respect each others opinions, so the no will remain a no..... for now..lol

 

The other no i got from her was when i told her i was going out to buy a baby alligator... and again when i found a kangaroo for sale...

 

So my question is- What MATERIAL things has your significant other recently denied you that you really wanted?


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

I buy what I want, and so does she. 

 

However, we have an understanding about something that would change our lifestyle.  This has not been a cost issue....it is a puppy issue.  No pets unless it is a joint decision. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

its not about sackin up its more like choosing battles wisely.

I dont mind making her blinding mad.. sometimes l like to hear her scream,  im just not going to do it EVERY time i feel a whim...

 

 ill have my rifle, the road to it will just be a lil longer

plus with all the other stuff she lets me get away with its all good.

 

But at the same time its definitely not okay to be a pushover, we respect each other and do as we wish within each others boundaries

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, james bay area said:

its not about sackin up its more like choosing battles wisely.

I dont mind making her blinding mad.. sometimes l like to hear her scream,  im just not going to do it EVERY time i feel a whim...

 

 ill have my rifle, the road to it will just be a lil longer

plus with all the other stuff she lets me get away with its all good.

 

But at the same time its definitely not okay to be a pushover, we respect each other and do as we wish within each others boundaries

You used the term "LET". That implies permission. No farking thank you. I'll let her know if I plan to spend more than several hundred dollars on something petty. Ask permission? Aw Hell Naw!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

I buy what I want, and so does she. 

 

However, we have an understanding about something that would change our lifestyle.  This has not been a cost issue....it is a puppy issue.  No pets unless it is a joint decision. 

My ex and I had a dog issue. I always had dogs she did not.  One day I came home and she had this little rat came up to me in the tall grass wagging it's tail.  Did even know what breed it was when saw.  She got it at some puppy shop, she did not even know what breed it was.  I was pissed at first because I had no input. Picked it up and fell in love because the pup was so happy just to have me hold it.

Was a Border Collie..  Fun times ensued.. Have had several more after her.  One of the best things my ex ever did was to accidentally introduce me to a dog breed I have come to love.  My latest just turned 3 years old.

Dave..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

My wife bought tickets for Elton John's farewell tour (NEXT November!)

I noticed that my bank statement was lacking ~$2000.

I might be border-line drunk. +1.

Which makes the concert magnificent!

(We've seen him many times.  Even in the 70's)

It's my payback.

She knows what I'll do..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
4 minutes ago, DrB said:

My ex and I had a dog issue. I always had dogs she did not.  One day I came home and she had this little rat came up to me in the tall grass wagging it's tail.  Did even know what breed it was when saw.  She got it at some puppy shop, she did not even know what breed it was.  I was pissed at first because I had no input. Picked it up and fell in love because the pup was so happy just to have me hold it.

Was a Border Collie..  Fun times ensued.. Have had several more after her.  One of the best things my ex ever did was to accidentally introduce me to a dog breed I have come to love.  My latest just turned 3 years old.

Dave..

We love our critters. I brought dogs into my wife's life and she brought a cat into mine.  We just know that our desire to rescue or get new ones would cause problems.  We have very odd lives (especially me)  and our commitment to each other is to not do anything that will affect the other without agreement.  For the most part, *things* do not cause a change in the others life.  A pet would....and we both have to fight the urge to add new ones.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recall 2 instances:

My second longterm GF back in college: We shared a studio apartment, she had no car, I did. At some point it was time for a new car, I saw a used one at a dealer on the way back home, stopped, got out, looked at it, and told her that this car might me my next car. Was really in love first sight, with the car that is. She went totally ballistic on me out of nowhere. Telling me how ignorant I am, that I don't even consider her opinion on the next car, and that she wanted a wagon instead. Keep in mind that she had no money to contribute. The relationship went South quickly in the next few months. I tested the waters for a while, and she kept nagging and controlling. Got rid of her ass quickly.

2 decades later I was married with another woman. I brought home my first firearm (not counting those I owned when I was 18 or 19). It was a G29. Didn't think long about it, just locked it up, took a ride to our local police supply store (also LGS) and bought it right there with some nice night sights and a bunch of other shooting related items. Later that day my wife came home, saw my fiddling with the gun, and also went into a fit. I made a point by buying the next gun just a couple days later. The gun issue was gone quickly and she even joined me a few times to the range. All that being said, she called quits later on when she realized that she won't control me. I'm usually super easy going in a relationship, but when nagging or controlling kicks in, the ladies will run against a wall, and they will be served with even more "my way or Highway". She couldn't take it and left. Best thing that could have happened.

I'm done with relationships. Sooner or later they turn sour and are a bad investment. Too much wasted time, too expensive, too much stress, too many worries, too much holding back, all for some down-winding sex and stale affection over the years.

Tonight for example: I bough a shitload of items for my new truck, including a new head unit with external drive for tons of movies and music, Apple CarPlay module, GPS module, remote start module, Havis laptop mount, new speakers, center console for my Uniden radio. I have been installing this the entire day, with **** laying around in the entire house, lights on everywhere, and I will finish this up late tonight, then I'll do a test ride probably around 2 AM. Most wives would bitch about the amount spent on toys just here (and I come up with crap like this a couple times each months), about the amount of time wasted, telling me what else to do, getting into a fit about the mess in the house, being pissed for being gone late at night, for the loud music and whatnot.

No. Thank. You.

Never again.

Every day is a play day. I feel like a 10 year old kid again. But this time I have all the money for all the toys, and I can stay up as long as I want to.

Now, back to this..

 

Img-1138.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

For the most part, *things* do not cause a change in the others life.  A pet would....and we both have to fight the urge to add new ones.  

For us those things did cause change.  For me a love for Border Collies I found and for her learning a dogs life in hers.  For both of us the ultimate path was better for all when we split.

Dave..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have an understanding between us, that if we want something it must be reasonable both to our lifestyle and our finances.  I have bought expensive jewelry for her because it makes her feel important to me. 

I have bought expensive tools  because it was important to me.  But we have bought nothing that caused financial stress of any kind between us. It's simply a mutual agreement/understanding.

On occasion we each have pushed the other one to purchase something extravagant, but had the one it was for, turn it down.  We are not "rich" but we are comfortable.

I refuse to ask for, or give permission, between spouses for anything!   We're adults, not children.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

nothing,we don`t do that.

if its a large purchase that we can either or both afford its usually mentioned.

only time shes come close to a flat out "No" was when i was considering buying a Y2K bike.

 

i also almost bought a European badger for the shop,was`nt so much of a "No" as a "why do you know someone selling a badger?"

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
6 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

nothing,we don`t do that.

if its a large purchase that we can either or both afford its usually mentioned.

only time shes come close to a flat out "No" was when i was considering buying a Y2K bike.

 

i also almost bought a European badger for the shop,was`nt so much of a "No" as a "why do you know someone selling a badger?"

Ok, I confess, my wife asks me something like that from time to time. "How the hell do you even know where to get something like that?" 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Funny story.  Understanding that my wife works...a lot and I do not really have a job, our lives are very different.  I have a lot of free time and ramble all over the place just because I could not figure out what else to do at noon one day.  Off to another state or whatever for a sammich. 

 

I had a friend call me one evening and said "Hey, I am driving through your town tomorrow on my way to *several states over* to pick someone up and turning around.  Wanna go?"

 

Sure.

 

Wife was on call and I dont bug her.   We are a state over on our trip and my wife calls.  It is a very normal conversation for me to say "I am in (Insert far away place, be back later or tomorrow or whatever) how are you? Cool, love you bye."

 

My friend looked at me like I had just struck my own mother "my wife would de-nut me if I told her some **** like that."   

Well....sucks for you :)   

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Please Donate To TBS

    Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.
×
×
  • Create New...